smokeless in blackpowder gun?

George,

The answer is yes and no. Yes, CAREFULLY loaded smokeless loads can be created for the 45-60. However, its user beware especially if, as in your case, the firearm is an original. Big cases intended for black powder loaded with little charges of smokeless have destroyed many a fine original. Yes fillers can be used but then you run the risk of a rung chamber.

These guns were designed for black powder and shoot the safest and (arguably) the best with it.

The big problem with the 76 is the toggle link. Its not that strong of a design to begin with. Being an original, take off the side plates and make sure BOTH links are in place before even considering firing it.

A good starter load is cutdown Starline 45-70 brass, Federal 215 Primer, 60 grains of Schuetzen 2F or, if your wallet can stand it, Swiss 2F under a .030 veg fiber wad and a Saco 300 grain flatnose. Now your shooting and experiencing that fine old gun as it was intended.

A bore snake and good hot water with a little Murphy's Oil Soap will make cleaning a snap. Just make a cradle for the gun that allows the ejector port to be down and any water to drain out the muzzle.

Enjoy!

.45/60

Thanx for the update on the .45-60. I had heard of .40-65 but not the reverse. I still don't think its a good idea to shoot a fine old antique rifle when there are so many fine replicas available. I have a number of "modern" rifles that are from 50 to 70 years old. I shoot all of them, but none are BP guns and none are especially valuable. The newest rifle I own is a 1951 FN Mauser in .270. I love this rifle and wouldn't take anything for it. There will never be another Winchester 1876 made, We should treasure the ones still out there. :D
Anyway keep on shootin'

Your Welcome

Your welcome. I hope it was helpful. As for not shooting originals, I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Firearms are very durable items and when properly cared for are often capable of serving several generations of owners. There are some originals, even ones that are still in fine operating condition, that probably shouldn’t be fired (such as the Winchester 1876 1 of 1000 in .45-60 that recently sold at auction for $165,000.00) due to their rarity or extreme value, but the majority of good working condition guns out there still have many years of service in them. While I would certainly not be out putting large quantities of ammunition through and original ‘76, I won’t own a gun I can’t shoot. What’s the point? Used sparingly and cared for properly antique guns are treasures to be experienced as well as admired. Besides, replicas of the 1876 Winchester have only been available for a few months and are only available in one configuration – no carbines, muskets, short rifles, etc... Just a straight gripped, 28" octagon barreled, full length rifle is available, and one would never know how well they compare to the originals if one never fired an original to compare it to.

Personally the models I’m most interested in are the full length rifle in .45-75 and the saddle ring carbine in .45-60 a la “Crossfire Trail”. A shorter 24" half round half octagon barreled rifle in .50-95 would also make a nice rifle to take a bison with too. Did I mention that the ‘76 Winchester is one of my all time favorite rifles? Maybe even my all time favorite rifle? It’s difficult to decide really. After all the 1874 Sharps is pretty nice too. I know the Winchester ‘73 is “The rifle that won the West” but that honor really goes to the Sharps and Remington buffalo rifles. The ‘76 is the rifle that I never really expected to be replicated though. I always hoped it would be (and was ecstatic when I saw that Cimarron was selling one), but never expected it to be.

Back