Smith & Wesson

In gun rags S&W and others like Ruger post any safety warnings all the time.

:rolleyes:

I guess that explains why, nearly 40 years after the most heavily publicized firearms safety recall of all time (which is ongoing to this day), on Ruger's Old Model single actions, they've gotten back considerably less than half of them, and most of those were returned because of the contact information on the registration card...

Something's working correctly...

Smith & Wesson registration

What State are you in? The seller calls in the information about yourself to identify you if you are a felon. If the caller is given the OK, you have a new firearm. The seller will of course keep his/her information in case the firearm is traced back to the seller...in this case for 5 years. It's not national registration, only record keeping.

guess that explains why, nearly 40 years after the most heavily publicized firearms safety recall of all time (which is ongoing to this day), on Ruger's Old Model single actions, they've gotten back considerably less than half of them, and most of those were returned because of the contact information on the registration card...

I've seen those recalls in rags for years. But I don't have a 'Old Model' Ruger so guess that's why I never sent one in to be fixed.

Deaf

I've seen those recalls in rags for years. But I don't have a 'Old Model' Ruger so guess that's why I never sent one in to be fixed.

Most people that have guns don't read the rags and never know it. It's just a tool, toy or home protection to most people and they don't keep up with guns. A recall notice would be the only thing they get. I don't recall my Ruger or Henry even having a warranty card at all. I "registered" my Taurus online and it didn't even ask me what kind or the serial number of my gun.

Yes, warranty cards are useful in case of recall, but a lot of the info is used for "marketing research." In other words, the company sells your name to Guns and Ammo, Sportsman's Guide, Shotgun News, and anyone else who'll pay for names and addresses of potential customers.

One benefit of keeping your warranty registration card is if, in the future, you decide to peddle that nice Smith and have the "box and all original papers," you get a few bucks more.:D

One benefit of keeping your warranty registration card is if, in the future, you decide to peddle that nice Smith and have the "box and all original papers," you get a few bucks more.

I never buy anything new with the intention of selling it. I may buy used with the intention of making a little profit by selling it.

"Most people that have guns don't read the rags and never know it."

No no no!

Don't you know that every gun owner reads at least 10 gun magazines monthly?

And the ONLY think they pay attention to is... the recall notices?

Most people that have guns don't read the rags and never know it.

I ain't 'most people', but then I doubt 'most people' care about those cards, assuming they even buy guns.

And I really doubt people here even know what 'most people' even read, or remember.

Deaf

Good grief! There's a recall out on 686s! I bought mine used, no registration card!

What wrong with them? They are such a storied, classic gun.....who would think there was a recall!:confused:

686 no dash guns had issues with the firing pin window.

If you have a no dash, contact S&W and see if your serial number is affected.

"...they have those 'recall' notices on the net a lot..." They don't go to individuals that didn't send in their warrantee card. They send 'em out in the ATF's black helicopters, but only to people who they know.
"...company sells your name to..." Other way around. The gun rags(too expensive up here. Sell for over $10 with taxes.) sell their subscriber's list to marketing types. Warrantee cards for Smith's marketing types to know who's name to sell to their buddies in other marketing departments. snicker.

Mike, I agree about recalls. My 50 or so year old xp 100 was never subjected to the recall. I contacted the company about twenty years ago, and they flatly refused to share any information.. they said that I had to send it in and allow them to do whatever they saw fit to do.

If it wasn't part of the recall, I should know. If it had already been sent out for the recall, I should know.

If nobody sends in the registration card and throws them away.
What will happen is they will become rare and expensive, then those
of us who keep them will make big money. lol!

Mike, re chemicals, you need to read up on how RF signals are being used to ruin theprimers in your ammo and shrink your testicles.

Back