Smith & Wesson 686 plus 4" barrel

And the alterative revolver is....GP100. 4 lines running vertically (like four sentences, each on their own line) running down the left side of the barrel. AND a warning under the barrel. AND a "7 shot 357 Magnum" on the right side.

Basically a John Grishim book is printed on the GP100 barrle, but a 2mm hole just next to a cylinder release and is never been a functioning issue with the L frames is UNACCEPTABLE to the revolver community. Okay....

but a 2mm hole just next to a cylinder release and is never been a functioning issue with the L frames is UNACCEPTABLE to the revolver community. Okay....

Yep, that's the way it is, and we've explained why...:D

Yikes,
I have both (lock, no lock) and honestly miss the nice groves on the grip frame of the adjustable sight revolvers more than anything. Maybe lock guns have the groves too?
I will say, look at what recently happened to one of our greatest firearms companies, Remington. A part of American history.:mad:
Any small step to try and prevent a bankruptcy from taking place and making a bunch of lawyers rich is fine with me.
And I do know about the Bushmaster connection, I bet there is someone/some people from Remington that totally regret that acquisition.
Kind of related:
I sold a 336 35Rem to a guy that after a weekend of hog hunting asked for his money back. He and his friend went through a box and a half of shells trying to kill a trapped hog. Drinking was also part of this happening so what is really at fault?
Marlin's much hated cross bolt safety or the fact that 2 idiots should have just gone to the bar rather than gone hunting, pretty scary actually.

And the alterative revolver is....GP100. 4 lines running vertically (like four sentences, each on their own line) running down the left side of the barrel. AND a warning under the barrel. AND a "7 shot 357 Magnum" on the right side.

Basically a John Grishim book is printed on the GP100 barrle, but a 2mm hole just next to a cylinder release and is never been a functioning issue with the L frames is UNACCEPTABLE to the revolver community. Okay....
No matter how hard you beat this dead horse, it’s not going to get up and pull your wagon.

Originally posted by JustJake

Noop. Try a Ruger Police Service Six.

Good L-size Roscoe. Pick your desired barrel length.

No, the "Six" series guns, including the Service Six, were not an L-frame equivalent; they were a K-frame equivalent. The GP-100 was Ruger's answer to Smith's L-frame.

This 6" 686-5 belonged to a friend and is my first. I then found a limited production pre-lock 7-shot 686-5 (before they started marketing them as a "Plus") and finally picked up a 4" dash-8 this last summer as part of a package deal. Now I just need to find a 2.5" and 3".

178010.jpg

Originally posted by wild cat mccane
And correct me, but doesn't the Ruger Police Service Six also have 4 lines of text on the left side of the barrel just like the GP100 that I mentioned?

Noop. :rolleyes:

So you stand corrected.
Actually YOU stand corrected again. Ruger started with the barrel warnings in the late 70's, including the Six Series guns. If you don't believe me here's an example:

Ruger-Speed-Six-2-3-4inch-barrel_101363085_19355_296C2FFA8F7E991A.jpg

First off, its only two lines on guns with longer barrels! :D

I don't remember the warning on guns from the 70s, but then, I probably just wasn't looking. I do have the two lines on the New Model Blackhawk I bought in 83.

Hum...no.

You clearly haven't picked up a GP100 in the last 30 years...

AND the bottom/underside of the Ruger barrels have a warning too.

Not sure who that was directed to, but yes, my latest GP-100 thankfully has it on the bottom rather than the side, unlike my other one.

Two of my favorite revolvers are a Smith & Wesson Model 686-5 Plus and the new Colt Python, both with 4" barrels. I have found them to be equivalents in every respect, the Smith having the advantage of being significantly cheaper and, if self-defense is a priority, offering an extra shot.
At the risk of sounding hard to please, though I'm a fan of full-length under-lugs on these two revolvers (balance/handling feels better to me and the extra weight helps dampen barrel rise under recoil), I'd pay a little extra for a little longer (5") barrel.

I wish the 686 3-5-7 in 5" didn't come with the smooth cylinder. I just don't like that look. But it does exist. Someone else here discovered TALO no longer does the Deluxe or 3-5-7 versions of the 686 and hasn't for years. That one kinda went unnoticed.

I just bought my 5th 686 4" Plus from Firearm Depot last week. Arrives tomorrow.

The price was too high and was considering the Python. But one thing I don't care for on the Python is the 6 round cylinder against the 7 chamber 686 Plus.

Yeah, I know a lot of guys like unfluted cylinders in these guns, but to me an unfluted cylinder belongs in a single-action revolver, not a double-action. In a piece like a 686 it simply looks like someone didn't finish the manufacturing process.

I don’t care for an unfluted cylinder, the added weight is just added stress on the cylinder stop and serves no useful function as far as cylinder strength is concerned.

Back