Smith & Wesson 460 5"

Yes so do I and it is a very uncommon privilege that the CFO will approve. Not trying to derail or attack anything just stating facts of how it is here. If that is what you will be doing with it that’s fine but if it’s for target shooting which 99% of what we are allowed to do “legally” here then that’s another.

Just looking for some input from people who own the Smith & Wesson 460 with a 5" barrel on how you like it compared to other barrel lengths. I already have a S&W 500 with an 8 3/8 barrel so would like something shorter; but since I live in Canada where the shortest 500 is 6.5" I'm considering a 460.
I believe if you study the ballistics tables you will find 454 and 460 deliver identical performance in 4-6" barrels. And given the smaller frame size of the 454 revolvers you have a significantly shorter and lighter revolver for any given barrel length.

The 460 shines in 12 - 14 and up barrels. Think, bipod & scopes. I am sure there is some middle ground, but; that is how my 460 is setup. This has to be a heck of a rifle/carbine round, But; that is another discussion.

If you like your 500, a short barrel revolver seems like a logical compliment with the appropriate loads. (if legal or allowed) In 45, I feel there is no need for the 460 powder capacity or X frame size with a 4 to 6 inch barrel. My 4c. YMMV.

I believe if you study the ballistics tables you will find 454 and 460 deliver identical performance in 4-6" barrels. And given the smaller frame size of the 454 revolvers you have a significantly shorter and lighter revolver for any given barrel length.

Not even close (with same bullet) in performance (as determined by velocity) at any barrel length and recoil is substantially more from the lighter gun.

look at the powder capacity of each case.

be safe
Ruggy

Back