Smith & Wesson 460 5"

BillSussman

Just looking for some input from people who own the Smith & Wesson 460 with a 5" barrel on how you like it compared to other barrel lengths. I already have a S&W 500 with an 8 3/8 barrel so would like something shorter; but since I live in Canada where the shortest 500 is 6.5" I'm considering a 460.

I have the 460V. I got mine for big critter defense, not for hunting. I was leaning towards the V so I tried the 8 3/8 model side by side and was not inclined to get the 8 3/8 model. If I was hunting with it, I would have.

I tested this ammo with it: https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...ng-flat-nose-gas-check?variant=18786990260281

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Caliber: 460 S&W Magnum
Bullet Weight: 360 Grains
Bullet Style: Lead Long Flat Nose Gas Check 21 BHN
Case Type: Brass
BALLISTICS INFORMATION
Muzzle Velocity: 1900 fps
Muzzle Energy: 2860 ft lbs

I found this ammo more controllable than the lighter less concussive Hornady 200 grainers. Took a couple iterations to get the hang of it, but I still shoot better in DA than SA. The SA trigger is so light I thought it was defective at first. lol With the ammo above, I get a 2 inch group of 4 at 25 yards... I always do a 5 shot group and one of them is always way off. Since you have the 500 you probably know exactly what I am talking about.

I know people will say that no handgun is enough to stop a charging bear, but I wonder if they ever shot a 460 or 500... with heavy hardcast rounds.

I think the V is the best compromise. I have seen the 3 inch 500 performance models and would not want to shoot those. The V is traumatic enough. lol

Just looking for some input from people who own the Smith & Wesson 460 with a 5" barrel on how you like it compared to other barrel lengths.

On what to expect in terms of velocity, I post this some years back in the S&W forum and will repost it here

I have seen the question poised on several occasions.
Most of us know that even the same barrel length revolvers will deliver a small difference because of a variety of factors.
I decided to chrono each barrel length under the same conditions earlier this month.

A few notes:
• The 8.375” gun has in excess of 10000 round down the tube buy myself and the previous owner, whom said he shot about 6000 Colt, 1000 Casull, and only a few boxes of Hornady 200 grain. I have shoot 3000 rounds of a variety of 460 rounds from 200 to 300 grain.
• The 10.5” gun Has about 6000 rounds of 460 S&W most of which are equivalent to Hornady factory 200 loads.
• The rest of the guns have less than 3000 rounds each.
• The 2.75” and 3” guns have low round count less than 1000 each.

Data collected with Kurzzeit chronograph

Factory Hornady 200 FTX ammo, all from the same lot, was used.

The 300grain XTP MAG under 38.2grains of H110 with a OAL of 2.195”

200 Grain Hornady FTX DATA
Barrel Length AVG of 5 shoots
2.75" 1897fps
3.5" 2033fps
4" 2059fps
6.5" 2165fps
7.5" 2240fps
8.375" 2180fps
10.5" 2203fps
12" 2370fps
14" 2313fps
14" c 2318fps
Ruger #1- 22" 2924fps

300 Grain , 38.2 H110, OAL 2.195
Barrel Length AVG of 5 shoots
2.75" not tested
3.5" not tested
4" 1409fps
6.5" 1495fps
7.5" 1549fps
8.375" 1502fps
10.5" 1536fps
12" 1542fps
14" 1528fps
14" c 1559fps
Ruger #1-22" 2161fps

It is listed above as 4" as that is the actual effective barrel length.
It losses a little velocity over the 7.5" but wont make any difference on critters.

Well I don't shoot my model V that often, they shoot no different than the other barrel lengths when it comes to accuracy. The balance is good, my eyes prefer the 7.5" sight picture for hunting. I have taken mine out and shoot a few pigs but usually I am using my 7.5".

I think you will find it as fun or more as your 500

I know people will say that no handgun is enough to stop a charging bear, but I wonder if they ever shot a 460 or 500... with heavy hardcast rounds.

The big bore handguns of today will have little issue dispatching even the biggest bear with the proper bullet and shoot placement. The issue is not the gun but the shooters ability to put the bullet in the right place on a target moving at 40 miles an hour.

Hard cast are fine as long as you don't hit large bone, my preference a monolith copper or brass on bears.

be safe
Ruggy

I have a 12" 460XVR and even with the heavy 12" barrel the felt recoil is fierce. I've also shot a 4" bbl 500 mag and that was without a doubt the most punishing felt recoil I ever experienced. IMO, if I were to need to carry a 460 for bear defense I would compromise and stay with your current 8-3/8" version. My thoughts are if you are in a highly stressed adrenalin filled bear threat situation you don't want to added stress of any type of perceived recoil flinch. I guess this is really an individual preference thing.

Bill, yes the heavier X-frame would help with the recoil. However, that 5" barrel is a killer for muzzle blast (even worse would be one of those snub-nose Alaskan's).

Bill, yes the heavier X-frame would help with the recoil. However, that 5" barrel is a killer for muzzle blast (even worse would be one of those snub-nose Alaskan's).

If muzzle flash is a concern choose a powder less prone.
Use#9 or better yet N110.

If you want a lot of flash then H110 is up to the task.

Actually once you start shooting a lot of 460 you will forget about the flash.

be safe
Ruggy

If muzzle flash is a concern choose a powder less prone.
Use#9 or better yet N110.
be safe
Ruggy

Do you have load data for N110 in the 460? I just ordered 2 lbs for 300 Blackout, and know it can be used in 460, but VV doesn't list anything and data online is kind of sparse. TIA

.460 Smith & Wesson is expensive stuff up here. The local guys at Bullseye London want $46.99Cdn per 20 for that 200 grain Hornady FTX stuff.
Wolverine in Virden, MB(dunno either) lists 5" M500's. None in stock or course. And it's $1600Cdn.
Wouldn't think a 5" .460 is much different from a 5" any other large calibre.

.460 Smith & Wesson is expensive stuff up here. The local guys at Bullseye London want $46.99Cdn per 20 for that 200 grain Hornady FTX stuff.
Wolverine in Virden, MB(dunno either) lists 5" M500's. None in stock or course. And it's $1600Cdn.
Wouldn't think a 5" .460 is much different from a 5" any other large calibre.
Handloading for the 460 is pretty cheap. Campro makes .452 copper plated bullets rated for 2000fps. I can't imagine anyone owning a 460 or 500 and shooting factory ammo. S&W doesn't make a 5" 500 so it's obviously a mistake on Wolverine's website.

S&W doesn't make a 5" 500 so it's obviously a mistake on Wolverine's website.

Actually a 5" uncompensated model was built and is refereed to as The John Ross by it's owners. John had S&W build 500 guns to his specification, 250 in stainless and 250 in black finish. They also have a faster twist rate than the other S&W 500s, I have one of each.

Do you have load data for N110 in the 460?....know it can be used in 460, but VV doesn't list anything and data online is kind of sparse. TIA

They are good about providing data if you drop them an email- my data is in boxes from moving across country. If I find it I drop you a PM. I may have posted in the S&W forum also.

be safe
Ruggy

Longer barrels give a magnum powder time to do its thing. The 5" might be better with stepping down powder choice with some range within which it will perform. rugg.yh mentioned passing on the super magnum stuff, magnum primers and all that, to something like AA#9. I don't have this gun to attest to results, but IMR4227 is what seems to suit me the best in magnums. The muzzle blast is from the powder burn still at its peak, reduced in a longer barrel.

No it's not.

I agree. Brass is expensive and it does not last as long as most other revolver brass if you load it to legitimate .460 pressures. Proper projectiles designed for the accuracy obtainable with the .460 and proper terminal performance and not cheap either. Without a cannelure on those Campro .452 copper plated bullets, I cannot see them loaded to the claimed 2000FPS, without the other four in the cylinder jumping crimp. While reloading for the .460 is much less expensive as buying factory, done right it still is not cheap. You don;t buy a thoroughbred race horse, put it out in a random field and expect it to race well on Saturday. Same goes for the .460. Iffin you can't afford to feed it, get something else.

I agree. Brass is expensive and it does not last as long as most other revolver brass if you load it to legitimate .460 pressures. Proper projectiles designed for the accuracy obtainable with the .460 and proper terminal performance and not cheap either. Without a cannelure on those Campro .452 copper plated bullets, I cannot see them loaded to the claimed 2000FPS, without the other four in the cylinder jumping crimp. While reloading for the .460 is much less expensive as buying factory, done right it still is not cheap. You don;t buy a thoroughbred race horse, put it out in a random field and expect it to race well on Saturday. Same goes for the .460. Iffin you can't afford to feed it, get something else.
There is a cannelure on Campro .452 250gr bullets and they are rated at 2000fps.

My apologizes for using the word "cheap". They are MUCH cheaper than purchasing factory loaded ammunition. I load 500 S&W for 50 cents/round not counting the cost of brass because I get many uses out of it which I also consider cheap because it's basically $5/round to get it from the factory.

Last edited:
The problem is the only thing you can do with a handgun in Canada is go to a government approved range to shoot paper or steel targets. You can’t use it for hunting, you can’t carry, you can’t do nothing with it legally outside of it being trigger locked in a locked container going to the government approved range to shoot paper or steel targets.
So all the talk about charging grizzly bears, hunting or self defence with a handgun just doesn’t apply. Also any barrel shorter than 4.25” is prohibited and unless you have a 12.XX designation on your RPAL you ain’t having one.

The problem is the only thing you can do with a handgun in Canada is go to a government approved range to shoot paper or steel targets. You can’t use it for hunting, you can’t carry, you can’t do nothing with it legally outside of it being trigger locked in a locked container going to the government approved range to shoot paper or steel targets.
So all the talk about charging grizzly bears, hunting or self defence with a handgun just doesn’t apply. Also any barrel shorter than 4.25” is prohibited and unless you have a 12.XX designation on your RPAL you ain’t having one.
That isn't entirely true. I know several people that work in the woods up north and have a permit to carry a revolver with them for protection.

Back