Smith & Corona 1903A3 question

"...NOT close on a Field gauge..." Definitely safe to shoot.
Smith Corona S/N's are here. http://www.vishooter.net/sc_serialization.txt
I'd be inclined to replace the giant scope(2.5 x 8 x 40 fits better) and refinish the stock and leave it be. Cloning it will cost a big pile of money you'll never get back.
However, Boyds does make a proper walnut stock and hand guard. $129 and $45 respectively(far more expensive from Gunparts.). No metal though.
That's the stuff that adds up quickly. Sling swivel screws, for example, run $3.50 each. $2.75 for a front sight base bin that's not included in the front sight assembly. Adds up to an internal organ sale PDQ. Gunparts lists all of it, but it's not cheap.

Cloning it will cost a big pile of money you'll never get back

I disagree. Once you have the action, the rest isn't that expensive. Use surplus parts which are everywhere and relatively cheap, (Gunpartcorp, Sarco, etc.)

I'm not into selling guns, but with the growing popularity of the CMPs Vintage Sniper Matches the prices of even clone 'A4s are going now where but up.

Except for the barrel, the rest of the parts are "plug and play". The barrel will come in as "short Chambered" and will require only finish reaming to head space the rifle.

The only "fitting" I have done is the relief for the bent bolt handle.

LOL, at 15 pounds, it doesn't move much at all.

That's about what mine weighs with the target stock. I put it in a lighter sporter stock intending to hunt with it a few times but it might have took a half pound off of it. :D

What I mean to "add value" is A.) as a clone it would probably be easier to sell because it opens up the market, some guys hear "Sporter" and immediately snub it without even looking at the rifle, where as they might look at a 03A4 Clone. B.) like mentioned it would be the sum of it's parts and right now the only parts worth anything are the barrel and action along with a few other parts on the gun. If it had a replica or original stock it's value would increase if nothing other then it's stock costs more.

I completely understand this wouldn't be a "legit" 1903A4 even if done with ALL original parts because it didn't start life as a 1903A4 but instead a 1903A3. I just feel like with it missing both front and rear sight, having the receiver drilled and tapped as well as having the bolt handle turned down that it would be easier to make it look like a 1903A4 (even if not 100% true to form) then to try and return it to its true original form.

I also understand because it won't close on a field gauge it is safe to fire. I understand the barrel may need to be set back later on but not really at this moment. I do feel like putting it in the safe and shooting it only occasionally would pro long the amount of time until I have to get the barrel set back.

Keep in mind, these sporters don't always retain their original bolts and that could well be a cause of head spacing issues. In addition, they are often polished heavily and that includes the lugs. It wouldn't take much to throw it off. I would certainly entertain trying a couple A3 bolts and see if that restores your head space.

Agreed about the bolts and headspace. However,altering a bolt handle correctly is a job. I did it,its certainly do-able, but its not for everyone and it costs money to have done.
Search 1903A3 and 1903A4 on E-bay. You will find a lot,including outfits like Numrich and Northridge marketing their stuff.
There was a guy there offering the bolt mod for about $120,IIRC.

Another option,cheaper,you MAY find a new GI bolt cures your headspace. Or just don't worry about it.
Realize,the "Go" and "No go" are about the standards for making a NEW rifle. A perfectly good rifle,new,that did not accept the NOGO,might accept it after only .002 wear.Its the field gege that counts.You do not have a rifle in need of a "fix"
There is nothing wrong with buying and installing GI 1903A3 iron sights and having a 1903A3 shooter.Put plug screws in the scope screw holes.A 1903A3 is a fine,honest rifle,too.There is work and money in correctly scoping the A4.
The A3 irons are good sights.

If you should happen to have one of the old,cranky,curmudgeon crotchety gunsmiths nearby,you might tell him you want to restore your Springfield. Those guys did a lot of work sporterizing those rifles. Many of them have several cigar boxes of the parts everyone took off the military rifles. He may even havean original stock or three. Ask him if he likes beer.

CMP offers the correct bases/rings. Originals,especially 7/8 for a Lyman scope are collector price.With the CMP parts,I'd assume you can get a replacement part later. CMP holds the competitions.Whatever you get through them will be legit.

Value???The Gibbs and other 1903 A3 and A4 clones are ALL made from salvage demil drill rifles. So is the one I made from the AIM receiver.
I daresay there are a LOT more of those being fired and enjoyed than original 1903A4's. Those sold for what,$1200,or $1500?

Our OP has something special.His rifle is not a drill rifle. Its,right now,a $250 sporter.

There is nothing but good in him making it WHATEVER HE WANTS.

IMO,everyone who takes a hack sportered Springfield back to military trim shooter is a bit of a hero. There are too few available to enjoy.
I don't care if there is an extra screw hole or two. So what? If he spends $200,or $400 $600 or $800 doing it,smile,shake his hand,and say "Well done!"

If you want to keep a $4500 safe queen locked away in a hoard,thats OK. Enjoy.

I admire and respect the thoughts of the OP and his project.

OP.IF you decide to go for it,keep us posted,and you will get support.
The ones who discourage,you can bet they talk to themselves the same way.
Do you wonder what they have ever done?...

Last edited:
No offense HiBC but I'm not going to dismantle 1,500 bucks worth of parts and labor to turn my 300 dollar rifle into a 900 dollar rifle I don't even like and would never use. :eek:

Hawg,I wasn't suggesting you should.
I actually considered getting another AIM receiver to build a retro Springfield "Bull Gun"....Something like Supercubs.

You both have nice rifles I'm sure you enjoy.

A whole lot of DCM Springfields went to NRA members who then "sporterized " them. Those range from elegant works of art,to darn fine hunting and target rifles...to utility truck guns, to well intentioned entry level projects that did not turn out so well.Its a broad spectrum.
I personally would rather have a well done Springfield sporting rifle than 80 % of the new commercial bolt rifles made today.I'm not arguing that the Springfield is "better",I'm saying "I prefer"
They aren't making Springfields. When the recovered drill rifles are gone,thats it. IMO, it IS a respectable thing to bring another 1903A3 or A4 into the world.
A Ruger or a Win 70 or a number of other modern rifles make a great 30-06 elk rifle but they can't be a representation of a historic military rifle.
At the same time,I figure if you own it,you can do whatever you want.I have no problem with someone who wants to build any sort of rifle out of a Springfield (Hopefully NOT an original).An honest replica NRA Sporter or a replica Griffin and Howe or Sedgley are fine projects,too.
Nothing personal about you or your rifle intended.
If you began a post "I want to build a Sprngfield bull gun" ,I'd be positive for that project,too.Or a retro NRA Service Rifle. All good!

Last edited:
You could say that this subject draws just about the same passion as shooting low numbered 03's. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions which is how it should be, none right for everyone.
Myself, I have gone both ways, restored a couple and used a few others for Heavy barrel target rifles. All were drilled and tapped sporters in some state or another. All but one were bought for less than $250 and the stocks were disasters, Quonset hut jobs. In Alaska, the selection has been pretty good, and what was lacking in stock work was made up in the drill and tap, these guys could do that just fine.
In addition to the one I posted, I have made two into .308 target guns for my sons, restored two and sold them to a couple older guys that are having a blast shooting them. They have plugged drill and tap holes, better than average original GI stocks and original hardware. The barrels were all good.

What I would not do, no matter what, is take any unmolested GI gun and put a hole in it or use it for any project. I would change a bad barrel, correct a bad bolt or repair as needed, but that's where I draw the line.

And some need to be left as sporters, recognized for the nice work done on them and they will shoot just as well as any modern rifle. I have one and wouldn't trade it off for anything.

I'm not a particular fan of the drill rifle but have no issue with those that like them or is the only option. I would rather take one like the OP's sporter and turn it into what he's thinking so more power to him.

And I love Hawgs's rifle, modern art.

No going back for this SC. Built by my father in 1958.
It was rechambered in .30 Gibbs by Rocky Gibbs himself.

4a8ad3402196557fc882c16c96e462f2.jpg

I would never change my sporter A3-03. I am of the camp that the number of well done sporters from the 50s and 60s are getting harder to find. They one day will likely be compared to finding a flat-head Ford hot rod from the 50s. They were sporterized because people with a desire to hunt and limited funds could get a surplus rifle for $20, cut it down, and take it hunting. I also have 2 military trim A3-03s, one from CMP and one from parts, that I will always leave as is. I also realize how many of those rifles were made and there will never be a shortage for museums. If a rifle is drilled and tapped, nothing wrong with cleaning it up as a sporter and having a symbol of days gone by and a story to tell about their history.

308Norma2A_zps6c5f5d7f.jpg

Nice rifles. I only have the one A3. I have a Mauser that was professionally done but it's rather plain and a G 33/40 that will look much like the top one if I ever get done with the stock.

I ended up with a nice SC A3 action only….. Never considered building a "replica" of its original. My Smith did a great metal job with a Douglas bbl in 275 Rigby [7x57]…. drilled and tapped, Timney trigger, 03 trigger guard/mag/floorplate.

I added the stock.

Total keeper, shoots MOA with all from 139gr to 160gr.

My favorite 'Lg caliber" rifle.

Back