Smith and Wesson serial number search

Serial # AAC1XXX, 586 no dash#
1981, the first year of L frame production. In fact, IIRC 586 serial numbers started at AAB or AAC, so you have one of the first ones made. :cool:

FWIW S&W recalled all no-dash and some -1 L frames because some firing pin bushing holes were oversized, which can cause primers to backflow into the hole and lock up the gun. Older repaired guns were stamped with a big "M" inside the yoke cut, although AFAIK S&W has stopped "M"-stamping recently repaired guns. (Some guns were also "M"-stamped at the factory.) If your 586 hasn't been "M"-stamped, you might want to send it back in, but if you've been shooting it for years without problems, it might not need the recall repair because not all L frames were affected.

do u no what a value for this gun is the finish 1 to 5% not good and pitted thanks
$75-$150 depending on how complete and functional it is. FWIW the stocks (grips) are not correct to the date of manufacture, so that counts against it.

1981, the first year of L frame production. In fact, IIRC 586 serial numbers started at AAB or AAC, so you have one of the first ones made.

FWIW S&W recalled all no-dash and some -1 L frames because some firing pin bushing holes were oversized, which can cause primers to backflow into the hole and lock up the gun. Older repaired guns were stamped with a big "M" inside the yoke cut, although AFAIK S&W has stopped "M"-stamping recently repaired guns. (Some guns were also "M"-stamped at the factory.) If your 586 hasn't been "M"-stamped, you might want to send it back in, but if you've been shooting it for years without problems, it might not need the recall repair because not all L frames were affected.

Thanks Carguychris,
I haven't shot it a lot but have put a fair number of full horse power loads through it with no problems. I recently removed the barrel and turned it into a 6" Smython, the poor man's way to legendary Python accuracy. I haven't spent much time with load development but first 40 rounds look very promising with the snake barrel on. Thanks again for the info.

smith and wesson serial number

i have a smith and wesson m586 serial number ABU9XXX can anyone tell me what year it is as well as what to use to try to clean some minor rust spots off of it, it is nickel plated

Yourkyle21: Between January 1983 & October 1983. All I can suggest is very fine steel wool soaked in gun oil. Someone with more knowledge than I may have a better suggestion.

tex1310: 1982-1886, probably closer to 1986 at guns with serial numbers in the N97xxxx range were made that year.

Jonathank1982: 1974-1977 (R100000to R190000). Probably 1977.

partsboy: 1973-1974: If it retains If it is lacking most of it's finish but still functions that is a good price. If it has most of it's finish and the action locks up tight then you are buying it for half it's value. Get it.

Thanks Radagast! It's all tight and the finish is pretty good, comes with a case, bore snake and a few hundred rounds. Can i fire +p's in this gem?

a little help

Can anyone tell me the manufacture date of a model 10-6, #D148xxx? Also, where the barrel lines up with the cylinder, there is some sort of disfiguring, there is about a 2mm gap as opposed to a 1mm gap on the "good" side, the inside of the barrel looks to be un-phased. Could this be due to a +P load. Thanks for your help.

Just Bought a Pair of S&W Sisters

Hi everyone,

I just bought a pair of used S&W revolvers. Can anybody help identify the production dates?

686, ADW56xx (for the beauty of it)
18-3, 6K439xx (because ammo for the big sister costs too much)

Thanks is advance for the help!
:D

Last edited:
partsboy: Limited use of PlusP should be fine, but do most of your shooting with standard pressure ammo.

cew702001: 1969-1970 for your gun. I'm not a gunsmith so I can't answer your question. Try starting a new thread in the gunsmithing section.

vader_z: Your 686 was made between January & November 1984. Your 18-3 was made in 1974.

hey every one nice board you have here. can any one help me with a date on this s&w 357 mod 60-9 j frame with a 2.1/8 inch barrel? #cee25xx...thanks i think its one of the last runs thy made with out the lock.

thanks radagast...any one know when they started putting the lock's on? this # is on the end of the box.#0159 for some reason i was thinking 9-5-01. may be that was the shipping date?

S&W info request

Seems like mine is the typical story here. Relative passed and its on me to find homes for these. Revolvers not my thing. They were police service guns so may be M&P or Model 10

All Smith and Wesson blued 38 special with fixed sites
serial 556xxx (no prefix) 2 inch barrel with "38 S&W SPL" on it. 5 round
serial J117xxx 3 inch barrel with "38 S&W SPECIAL CTG" on it 5 round
Serial C974xxx 4 inch barrel with "38 S&W SPECIAL CTG" on it 6 round

The first two I believe are J frame and the last may be a K frame just from searching the site. The last has a larger frame. Bluing not bad just holster wear on the barrel tips.

If anyone could tell me correct model, year and approximate value it would be greatly appreciated.

New2Brass:
Serial 556xxx places it between 1962 & 1969.
Serial J117xxx paces it between 1973 & 1974.
C974xxx places it between 1966 & 1967, probably late 1967.

Model numbers will be stamped inside the frame under the yoke. Open the cylinder to see the model number stamping.

Assuming all guns are blued, with standard hammers and steel frame then they are Model 36 Chiefs Specials and a Model 10 Military & Police. It they have aluminum frames then they are Model 37 Chiefs Special Airweights and a Model 12 Miltary & Police Airweight.

Price depends on model and condition. Please verify and get back to us.

Back