Smith and Wesson serial number search

buckit: When you say under the shroud, I assume you mean under the barrel? The number under the yoke is probably an assembly number, used to track parts in the factory. The serial number should be under the barrel, on the cylinder and on the bottom of the grip frame.
Assuming 387xxx is the serial number, you have a .32 Hand Ejector Third Model, a six shot gun built on the small I frame & manufactured between 1917 & 1942 in the serial number range 263001 to 536684.
Heat treating of barrels began at serial number 321000 in 1921, so I would place your gun in the early 1920s.

Model 51?

Bought my first gun today, and am going to buy the book! In the meantime, I've been desperately searching online for info on my Smith & Wesson .22 mag revolver stamped "MOD-51" with serial "M35XXX." Is this enough info to estimate how old it is? I knew the gun was used, but wasn't thinking it was more than a year or two old - I'm delighted it may be several decades, if it is, in fact, a Model 51.

stilettosixshooter: The model 51 was the .22 magnum J frame kit gun. The serial number falls in the range for 1971 to 1973, being M30001 to M60000.
If it has a round butt it may have value to a collector as only 600 were made, the rest being square butt versions.

Model 629-3

Just joined today but have been reading a ton of information on here for some time! I was wondering about the date of manufacture of my 629-3 as the serial # is BFM26XX I plan to put a scope on it for hunting whitetail here in Pa. and was hoping to put a B-Square no drill base if it is made after 1992 as I have read that most Smith's made after 92 were pre drilled. Thanks for any info.

Scott

Last edited:
Precision40: Per the Standard catalog of S&W the 5906 range should have a serial number prefix TAA or higher. The BAW prefix should be on a revolver.

BAWxxxx should fall in the period January 1988 (AYMxxxx) to July 1988 (BBFxxxx), but the 5906 was introduced in 1989.

Hopefully someone more educated than I will be able to sort your query out.

tracyballard: Your 10-5 was made in 1971 or 1972, the serial number range for those years was D330001 to D420000. The D serial range range from 1968 to 1977, followed by the 1Dxxxxxx range.

Ok, I just inheited what I think is a model 10. Serial no. 4626xx, four screw, half moon front sight, 6-shot, mushoom head ejector and "made in USA" on frame. Right side of barrel says .38 S&W Special CTG and top of barel has patent dates for Feb 6 06, Sept 14 09, and Dec 29 14. I was told that the finish was once nickel, and the factoy stocks have since been changed to pearl.

Hedley: You have a S&W .38 Miltary & Police Model of 1905 4th change. This is the direct predecessor to the model 10, made from 1915 to 1942. Serial numbers in the 500,000 range shipped in 1927, so I would estimate your gun as dating to the early 1920s.
Real mother of pearl grips will add value, fake ones will detract. If most of the finish is worn off it it won't have a lot of value to a collector, nickel was a factory option and in good condition would add value.

Thankyou for the info. The revolver was my great grandfather's, and my father had it refinished in the 70's, and was completely aware of the diminished collector value. The finish looks to be a brushed nickel.

Smith & Wesson 32 long colt

i have a S&W hand ejector model of 1903 5th model change i think. it is a 32 long colt caliber. serial # 218075
i am trying to get some info on it as well as where i can get some ammo. it is out or production

Last edited:
Back