Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hi
I just reserved a 4506-1 and saw that the serial number was VBAxxxx.
Anyone have an idea of the year ?
Thanks for any info.

Hi. I have a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum that has a model number 686-3 and SN BHP97xx. Can anyone tell me the date of manufacture? Thank you folks.

Last edited:
You might also remove the stocks if they are original and you will most likely find a specific month/day/year stamped in ink on one of them. This date won't tell you about the revolver but it will give another reference point.

Also, S&W is extremely good at answering date questions for guns of this era, you can e-mail them your SN and they will usually reply within two business days with a ship date.

I love the Model 686-3, mine was the first handgun that I ever bought with my own money. Bought it in Summer of 1989 and S&W says it was made July 15, 1989. Mine has a BEB26xx serial number.

My book says the 329 2.5" Nightguard models were made from 2008-2011, but I didn't see any reference to when a DSA prefix was made/used:

163420FC 2-1 ⁄ 2 " Fixed rear sights w/ Front night sight 2008-2011 “NightGuard”

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (p. 286). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

Thanks L-2, mine has a read adjustable sight not fixed.

It's all good, thanks for the reply

329-PD-1.jpg

My father has recently passed and left me his S&W Shrouded Hammerless Air weight 38 special... As a young boy I always remembered him having this little revolver in his pocket... I'm now 59 and would like to find out how old this weapon actually is ? Any help would be appreciated, The serial number is J292XXX

Post 8475, "AFR" is from 1985.

1985 – AAV, ACC, ACJ, ADA, ADP, ADZ, AEF, AEH, AEM, AER, AEW, AFB, AFK, AFL, AFN, AFR, AFS, AHA, AHB, AHC, AHJ, AHP, AHS, AHT, AHV, AJB, AJD, AJJ, AJH, ALA, ALB, ALC, ALU, ALV, ALW

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (p. 492). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

Hello,

I am new on this forum.
I recently purchased a .22 S&W model 17. The serial number is BBD 3XXX.
Can anyone tell me the year of issue?

Back