Smith and Wesson serial number search

Thanks for looking. Guess I'll have to email them. I dou le checked the serial# just to be sure I didn't mistake a B for D etc. Sure enough BAW

Good morning

Two requests if I may :

581 with serial # AJZ3146

012b50396fe66fe6aad40214818c8724.jpg

db30a1cc82de17574f4a9881880d7b5a.jpg

472c4a94f8d680b450bdf3a4745e5201.jpg

And a P&R 66-1 with serial # 103K482

237bcd8417ef3992e935271abf53bb2f.jpg

37b75bd4516c715744ec00d1c3b98210.jpg

b5609860c73dae015bb29ded7f4ab26e.jpg

Thanks in advance

First off, really nice 581.
Second the alpha-numeric serials drive me nuts.
Production was between 1980-1988. I can't find AJZ in The Standard Catalog Of Smith and Wesson.
Do you have the box?
Does it have a Dash number on the Model? Like 581-1, etc.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

First off, really nice 581.
Second the alpha-numeric serials drive me nuts.
Production was between 1980-1988. I can't find AJZ in The Standard Catalog Of Smith and Wesson.
Do you have the box?
Does it have a Dash number on the Model? Like 581-1, etc.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks a lot

The photos are from the Internet, I don’t have the gun with me yet. I think it comes without a box and I don’t know the dash number yet

My guess on the grips, were probably with the speed loader cut, like your top photo.
During that era, I joked that S&W owned part of Pachmayr. The first thing most people did was jerk off the grips and put on a set of Pachmayrs.

Classic, the box has a date code on the label that is the manufacture date.
Uses the Julian date, first number is the last digit of the year, last three are the day in the year.
For example 2001 is 2022, January 1st. I just learned this fact.
I haven't used this system since I left the Marines in 1983.

S&W Top Break S/N 127xx

My 96yo father, a WWII vet, just discovered or rediscovered he is in possession of a 5 shot, top break, blued revolver with a S/N of 127XX on the butt of the gun that he inherited from his father who served in WWI. The revolver is in good shape, with most of the bluing and mechanically sound with working action.

He's curious as to the S&W model, caliber, shipping date and approximate value. He doesn't have means to provide any digital photos and I'm local to him or I'd provide them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are 2 calibers of top breaks. .32 and .38, with hammerless and standard hammer models.
Each model has its own serial run, so there are duplicates.
Tell us what caliber, it will be on the barrel, and if it has a grip safety with no hammer, or standard hammer.
Photos would be appreciated.
Lastly Welcome to the Firing Line.

Classic, the box has a date code on the label that is the manufacture date.
Uses the Julian date, first number is the last digit of the year, last three are the day in the year.
For example 2001 is 2022, January 1st. I just learned this fact.
I haven't used this system since I left the Marines in 1983.

Thanks a lot, I am aware of this, but I’m afraid there is no box. I am picking it up today

For Post 8414

I didn't find the "BHL" prefix listed in my Standard Catalog of S&W book. Here are some other "BH_" prefixes in the 1991/1992 timeframe, but any specific prefix with S&W could show up in any year.

1991 – BEH, BEK, BEN, BFA, BFB, BFN, BFR, BFT, BFW, BHB, BHE, BHJ, BJJ, BKA, BKD, BKE, BKK, BKN, BKP

1992 – BFV, BHP, BHT, BJB, BJC, BJD, BJH, BJJ, BKB, BKZ, BMA, BNA, BNB, BND, BNE, BNN

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (Kindle Locations 17052-17054). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

The book also says the 686-3 was introduced in 1988, then the 686-4 came out later in 1993. I wouldn't know if there was any over-lap in dash numbers and can only hope the book is fairly accurate.

Seeking Confirmation On S&W 32 Top Break Model

After a telephone call with my dad and based on his observations and descriptions I located what I believe is a photo from the web that best matches his description of the gun he inherited from his father. His eyesight isn't to keen but he believes he can read 32. stamped on the barrel. The S/N is 127xx and based on what little research I've done I'm guessing its a S&W 32 caliber, top break, second version. I'm just wanting confirmation and approximate shipping date and value. Or any other information that maybe relevant. He's 96 and maybe interested in selling it. Any suggestions on the process and venues to sell would be appreciated.

View attachment S&W Top Break .32 2nd model.pdf

Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson says it was manufactured between 1880 and 1882.
They don't break it down further.
You could get a factory letter from S&W, but that costs $100.
I'm not going to try to guess value, unless I could see at least a photo.

I didn't find the "BHL" prefix listed in my Standard Catalog of S&W book. Here are some other "BH_" prefixes in the 1991/1992 timeframe, but any specific prefix with S&W could show up in any year.

1991 – BEH, BEK, BEN, BFA, BFB, BFN, BFR, BFT, BFW, BHB, BHE, BHJ, BJJ, BKA, BKD, BKE, BKK, BKN, BKP

1992 – BFV, BHP, BHT, BJB, BJC, BJD, BJH, BJJ, BKB, BKZ, BMA, BNA, BNB, BND, BNE, BNN

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (Kindle Locations 17052-17054). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

The book also says the 686-3 was introduced in 1988, then the 686-4 came out later in 1993. I wouldn't know if there was any over-lap in dash numbers and can only hope the book is fairly accurate.

Thank you very much

S&W Model 3000 pump shotgun - production date?

Hey guys, I recently picked up a Model 3000 pump shotgun. Does anyone have info on a production date with a serial of fb886xx.

I realize this isn't a revolver, but hoping someone might have some info.

Thanks!

Attachments

• smith and wesson model 3000 shotgun (2).jpeg
    smith and wesson model 3000 shotgun (2).jpeg
    449.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Back