Smith and Wesson serial number search

Navy Joe,

That's easy. That short N97X serial number was made in 1969 when S&W started using the N prefix.

For the rust on your trigger guard, soak the area in Kroil penetrating oil for an hour or so to loosen the rust. To remove it, use a copper Chore-boy brand scrubber pad to remove the rust. The copper is soft enough it won't hurt the finish. You may have a bare metal spot when done but you can either touch it up or keep it well oiled.

Great tip on the Choreboy to remove the rust! Thanks!

On the barrel it is just stamped 38 S & W Special CTG on right side and Smith & Wesson on the left side. It is a three inch barrel with serial number 459XXX
5 or 6 shot? If a 6 shot it would be early/mid 1920's.
If a 5 shot then mid 1960's.
BTW, barrel length on a revolver is measured from the face of the cylinder to the end of the muzzle.

Jim

5 or 6 shot? If a 6 shot it would be early/mid 1920's.
If a 5 shot then mid 1960's.
BTW, barrel length on a revolver is measured from the face of the cylinder to the end of the muzzle.

Jim
So, is $250.00 a bit much for the gun Jim, or did I do ok by spending that on the 38?

Anything is possible. But, without any police department markings on the gun or documented history, there’s really no way to know.

Jim

Just grabbed a 340PD, CZE7xxx. Thanks!
I only have the 3rd addition of the SCSW which covers pre 2006. Someone on the S&W forum will have the 4th addition and be able to answer your question or S&W customer service can tell you over the phone.

Jim

I only have the 3rd addition of the SCSW which covers pre 2006. Someone on the S&W forum will have the 4th addition and be able to answer your question or S&W customer service can tell you over the phone.

Jim

Thanks for trying Jim.

Chiefs Special

Hello

I would like to get the manufacture date for my CS9 Chiefs Special. The Serial # is BDH9XXX.

Thanks
Mcklain

Have a pre model 10 M&P serial S 881624 any help on dating will be appreciated. Also same in 32-20 serial 53241.
Serial numbers ran from S811120 in 1945 to S999999 in 1948.
For the 32-20, it's a 3rd Change with serial numbers running from 45201 in 1909 to 65700 in 1915.

I would like to get the manufacture date for my CS9 Chiefs Special. The Serial # is BDH9XXX.

Jim

Production dates desired

I own two S & W hand guns and would like to find out what there productions dates are.

1. A 357/38 mod 66-1 revolver with the following numbers.

109K713 with 215X6 below that.

2. A 41 mag model 57 with the following numbers

14X74 and A4 below that.

I know from reading numerous posts in this section that there is a publication showing numbers and dates but I plan on selling the S & W's that I have so I have no need to purchase the publication.

So, any help on the productions dates for these two guns would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help with this.

Back