Smith and Wesson serial number search

I recently picked up two .22 LR's: a 17-3 and an 18-3.

17-3: K845xxx
18-3: 8K97xxx

If someone could tell me the production dates that would great! I think both should between 1967 and 1977, being -3.

Just back from an estate sale....picked up a .32 Long revolver, 6 shot, DA. Butt says Ø6107 and frame/yoke says 44728. is nickel plated, and could use some TLC to the plating. Would someone mind giving me some insight as to what it is, and if $60 was a good price?

I just picked up one my Wife has asked about a couple of times. It's a 32 S&W Long in a 30-1 # H40xxx in nice shape with just some apparent holster wear on muzzle and cylinder front.

Anybody have an idea when it was made?

Just back from an estate sale....picked up a .32 Long revolver, 6 shot, DA. Butt says Ø6107 and frame/yoke says 44728. is nickel plated, and could use some TLC to the plating. Would someone mind giving me some insight as to what it is, and if $60 was a good price?
I'm confused by the leading zero on the number you report on the butt of the revolver. I'm no expert, but I don't see S&W punching up a leading zero, as if the revolver has a 4-digit serial number, but they elected to punch it up as 06107. I say, please look again at the butt of the revolver.

At this point, if it seems functional, not falling apart and the cylinder turns when cocked....

...without knowing ANYTHING else, if it's a Smith & Wesson, it is certainly worth the $60 you spent, and more.
I just picked up one my Wife has asked about a couple of times. It's a 32 S&W Long in a 30-1 # H40xxx in nice shape with just some apparent holster wear on muzzle and cylinder front.

Anybody have an idea when it was made?
1971, it appears.

Thanks Sevens. I have so few S&W's, and little chance of obtaining more anytime soon, that getting the book just doesn't make fiscal sense.

I wonder if the Library has a copy, I'm guessing they don't but I think I'll check.

Thanks again for the information.

If the budget strings are pulled so tightly that you fear damage to the fingers, I certainly understand. :p But please know that this book is far, FAR more valuable than looking up a few serial numbers. There's an almost irrational amount of quality, interesting detail in it and piles of pictures. You can open it up to almost any page and just read for pleasure.

My mouth waters at the hope & prospect of a new edition of this book!

That's another one that falls in to the H-U-G-E serial number range between the start of the 4th Change guns (1915) and the last of production before the Victory model. The table in the book only tells us that your revolver is near the very end of that, with 1941/42 being "likely."

Best way to know is the factory letter.
Second best way to know is to scour forum pages and auction/sale pages for a revolver with a similar serial number that does have a factory letter, and find out when it was shipped.

Sorry.

model 65 357

picked at the range today a nice model 65-5 357 6 shooter stainless 3 inch very nice
BCAXXXX any idea when it was made thanks

Last edited:
Smith & Wesson got goofy with the three letter prefix serial numbers and did many letters out of order. My best guess on the BCAxxx when I look at the table is that it's a late 1988 or an early 1989.

Back