Smith and Wesson serial number search

What do you kmow about:
S&W US Army Model 1917 SN: 35 XXX?
It was issued to my wife's grandfather, a Colonel in the US Cavalry.
Many thanks

date info on older S&W

I have a 4" 38 that was my dad's NYPD service pistol. Since he started in the 50's, I am assuming it dates from that time frame. Anything more specific is greatly appreciated.

The serial number on the bottom of the butt is C132XXX
There is a 5 digit number inside the crane, but no model number
There is another serial number on the backstrap, (I'm assuming it is a NYPD serial/issue number)

I'm not sure if NYPD used model 10 or similar.

Thanks!

OK, BNP. British Nitro Proof, so it was definitely in Britain.

I THINK the SP stands for Special Proof... Hum... maybe not. Something I just found on line says that SP was used until 1925 and was a voluntary black powder proof. I don't know why it would have been used on a gun made well after WW II, unless it's because the .38 Spl. was once available with black powder loads...

The other ones I'm not familiar with.

To senior member Mike Irwin

Please tell me ,where can I find more information about this revolver?
What about ammo,to be used in this gun?

S&W .38 Spl Model 36 1 7/8 barrel ,square butt
Serial number J314 xxx

Is it a collection item?
What about the value of this revolver?
Thanks.
Luis

Luis said:
S&W .38 Spl Model 36 1 7/8 barrel ,square butt
Serial number J314 xxx

1975-1976

Not particularly collectible in the 'States, dunno the market in Canada at all.

The Brits sure do doodle all over imported guns, don't they?

My question is to the folks who manage to get those great close-up pictures to post. I have a CanonA620, and the closest I seem to be able to get is three feet away before things get blurry. What's the secret to being able to get pics of serial numbers, inside the barrels, etc??

Thanks for any help!

^ Try looking for the setting with the rose on it (meaning close-up) and then you'll have to set the camera on a still object (tripod, desk, table etc) Good luck.

I just bought a S&W 357 Mag. I don't know much about it. It was a Highway patrol gun. (something along those lines. The gun is at Cabelas still)
The SN# is AJK3XXX. any info would be great.

Oneounce,

Look in your manual for instructions on how to enable the macro setting.

According to what I'm reading, with the macro setting enabled you can focus in as close as 1 centimeter.

That's more than close enough to get good, crisp pictures.

Tamara,
Thanks for the quick reply.
On the barrel, it does say something about Highway Patrol. I don't remember exactly what it read. But the guy at Cabelas saw it and said it belonged to a former police officer, and then showed me where it was factory stamped into the barrel.

Tamara,
I was looking on your links (from your sig) and the S&W you have there looks almost identical to the one I'm buying. without the Thunder Ranch badge, and it has rubber grips.

DSCN4920.JPG

Not to beat a dead horse, but I found out it's a 28-3 model.
Highway Patrolman.
Can't wait to pick it up.
One day I'll pay the $50 and look up the history

K-22 DOB? help

I am new to this forum and am looking for a DOB for a 4" S & W K-22 Serial number K 187xxx. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Need info...

Hello, I'm fairly new to this forum and would like any info on a S&W mod. 19-3 that I can get. Serial # is 1K51xxx. I am most curious though, about these markings on the crane.

Does the number 00150 mean it was 150 of 10000? I bought this from a coworker whose father was in the FBI for $100, so I was wondering how much it might be worth?

I just picked up a beautiful nickel Chief's Special. I was curious about when it was made, called Smith, gave the guy the serial number and in less than 30 seconds he told me it was made in 1976. Simple and quick.

Back