Smith and Wesson revolver without lock

I own both pre lock and lock S&W's. No issues with the lock. But 44AMP's summery rings true.
It's about what the damn lock "represents".

This discussion has been going on for years with the “I don’t give a hoot about the lock” on one side and the “screw guns with the lock” on the other. Personally I am in the latter group and will never buy a S&W with the lock.

It has nothing to do with whether it is going to break or not, it is purely a matter of the fact that it offends me. There isn’t a single new S&W that I would want that I can’t get an older version of that doesn’t have the Hillary hole.

OP, I have Smith’s that are 100 years old that are still tight and time perfectly. Don’t worry about getting an older one, just check it out carefully before you buy. My personal recommendation is to get a pre lock Model 66, 19 or a Model 28.

Last edited:
Like you, highpower3006, I will not buy a "lock" gun. But for me it's pretty much a matter of economics. Take care of them, and some of the pre-lock guns appreciate in value. I've got a 25-5 that I paid $500 for that is worth twice that now. Not bad, a 100% appreciation in value while shooting it as well. I also stay with the pinned barrels.

Don

That S&W put a lock on is what offends you, but the lock doesn’t actually hurt the product... something to think about when a stranger repeats your position...

You know how Taurus is kinda regarded as questionable in quality? You never hear about the Taurus Safety Security lock breaking. Like ever.

To correct, it was added to about all in 2001. The lock was around earlier for some like the 686.

Also might want to research S&W if you are worried about quality. Quality was said to have gone up substantially when they were bought in the 80s to early 90s. S&W dumped money into quality because of crashing sales.

Not as simple as some will say :)

You know how Taurus is kinda regarded as questionable in quality? You never hear about the Taurus Safety Security lock breaking. Like ever.

That's because everything on a Taurus breaks at once :) Really though, the internal lock or anything else mechanical, will eventually fail. It is just a matter of when. The failure of the S&W internal lock may be very low but it would be absurd to say that it has never happened or that it will never happen.

From what I've read/seen, the biggest negative of the lock is its affect on resale value.

The term "pre-lock" is a selling point to many people. Just like "P&R."

It doesn't mean the pistol is better or worse, just more desirable (to some).

I think putting a lock IN a gun is a stupid and unneeded idea. I have my reasons, and will happily discuss them if desired. However the fact that a gun has a lock in it isn't a deal killer for me, other than the S&W lock.

S&W put the lock in an obvious place AND worse, changed the shape of the cylinder latch to do so. THAT change is what puts me off the most.

S&W used essentially the same shape & style latch on K & N frame guns since around 1900 and it, to me, is one of the style features that says "S&W".

For me, its not about the lock as a lock, and its not about the possibility of the lock "self activating" (failing in the on/locked position) but its about changing the look and style of the gun.

Its their guns, they can do what they want, but its my $ and I'm not going to pay for something I don't like the looks of.

I think so many of us "old timers" held a serious brand loyalty to S&W for so long because S&W produced quality and kept doing it for so long. Things went down hill when Bangor Punta took them over, and they never really came back. Not saying they aren't quality now, but its a different quality. Sure there's the argument about how the changes have been economic necessities, things they had to do to keep costs competitive, I understand that.

However, I don't want that. I want them made the way they once were, and stopped being during the 80s. And there are more than enough of the older "good" ones to meet my modest needs and desires, so I won't be buying any new ones with features I don't like.

Feel free to do the same, buy what you like, and what pleases you.

One thing great about America is freedom of choice. No one say's you have to buy the gun. If you do not like the lock, simply do not buy it and move on. The gun remains very popular and the good features of the gun IMO, out weigh the lock. I like the looks of the gun, lock or no lock, it never has once failed because of the lock and I would bet it never will. I would bet a simple magazine may fail before the lock. Locks, round count, grip, caliber, etc all mean one thing. No gun is perfect for every individual no matter what the internet says.

I like the gun, it works for me. It doesn't for others. I guess that is life.
HIflc6k.jpg

Back