Smith and Wesson revolver without lock

ATN082268

Hello. Currently, I do not have a Smith and Wesson revolver in my collection and would like to add one. I am looking for recommendations. Two caveats. First, it must not have a internal lock. Second, it must be currently produced or reasonably easy to obtain and not at a astronomical price. Thank you.

So lets see:

No internal lock.

Currently in production.

And reasonably priced.

Not sure those characteristics have an overlapping subset.

Well technically the model 10 is still in production(with lock), but there are plenty older models on the market without the lock.

What caliber?
What price range?
What do you consider easy to obtain? You can go on gunbroker.com and obtain a Registered Magnum just as easy as buying any brand new gun.

What caliber?
What price range?
What do you consider easy to obtain? You can go on gunbroker.com and obtain a Registered Magnum just as easy as buying any brand new gun.

I'm not too hung up on caliber and the upper limit is probably around 1200 dollars. Easy to obtain would be still in production or generally available GunBroker.

I’d recommend a nice 586/686 with a 4”-5” barrel, either 6 or 7 round cylinder is fine. I wouldn’t hesitate to get one with the lock, if it bothers that much they make easily installed kits to replace the lock. But, my person favorites are N-frames in .357, in other words a model 27/28 or more modern 627’s. These are most likely over that budget though, but they are hands down IMO the most beautiful handgun ever made.

At your limit of $1200, you can get a good .38 Special. Model 10, 15, or 14.
.357 mag your best bet would be a k frame M19, or 13. Same guns in stainless are M66, or 65
N frames are getting pricey, look for a M28 Highway Patrolman, M27s are going way high now.
586/686 L frames can be found priced decently, just look for a deal.

Right now I have several S&W .357s. I have 3 m28s, one 586 and a 27. All prelocks and all P&Rs except the 586 which is the 83/8” target model with adjustable front as well as rear sight. One 28-2 is NIB. The only one I wouldn’t sell for $1200 is the 27 and all are near mint.
I’ve a bunch of N frames either hi condition or NIB and wouldn’t sell any at $1200.

If I could have only one revolver, it would be a 4" .357 Magnum K frame size,
with adjustable sights. Model 19 P&R's are a personal favorite.

2 revolvers? Second would be a K-22 Combat Masterpiece (model 18). Hard to
find at a decent price. Currently have a 1948 K-22 Masterpiece (model 17).

S&W has a "Classic" line that is current production without a lock; reasonably priced? That depends on what you consider reasonable.

Personally, NONE of my revolvers from S&W have a lock 19, 66, 586, 642, I frame 32SWL M&P, 2 K-22s. The 642 is the youngest and was available with and without a lock when I bought mine.

Why no lock?

Is just a visual thing?

There a few older Smiths (pinned, recessed, no locks) in the family, and they are great revolvers, but I’ve had zero issues with the Smiths I’ve got that have the locks, they are about 15 and 10 years old.

I think the no lock versions look a little more pleasing to the eye, but would have no trouble owning either version.

Not trying to start a war, and your choice is your choice , but it would open up a lot more options if you would consider a “lock” version.

Why no lock?

Is just a visual thing?

There a few older Smiths (pinned, recessed, no locks) in the family, and they are great revolvers, but I’ve had zero issues with the Smiths I’ve got that have the locks, they are about 15 and 10 years old.

I think the no lock versions look a little more pleasing to the eye, but would have no trouble owning either version.

Not trying to start a war, and your choice is your choice , but it would open up a lot more options if you would consider a “lock” version.

I really don't like the lock. Mainly because it doesn't look good and, more importantly, just useless junk which can break and cause a malfunction. If Smith and Wesson thinks more people want the lock than not, more power to them :)

Why no lock?

Is just a visual thing?

I wont buy one with a lock. The lock is an eyesore. My wife has one but that's her, not me.

I really don't like the lock. Mainly because it doesn't look good and, more importantly, just useless junk which can break and cause a malfunction. If Smith and Wesson thinks more people want the lock than not, more power to them

Fair enough.

I’ve never used the lock on mine (that’s what the safe is for) don’t even know where the keys are.

Hope your search is successful.

Not really fair comment. 30 years old. How many breaks have there been online? like 4?

I'm glad it exists though. Revolver folk would have nothing to yawn on about without the boogyman S&W lock...that is again, 30 years old.

Back