Smith and Wesson Refurbishing

Bluing that S&W does now is much different than it used to be thanks to Mass enviromental regs . As stated above it'd cost as much or more than the gun was worth . Even the vaunted Fords quality has went down since the death of long time owner / gunsmith Mr. Horrace . If it were mine I'd get some fine bronze wool & gun oil . Don't use steel wool as that'll create more rust . Keep the gun wet with oil & rub with the bronze wool . Use fine 00 grade & keep the gun dripping . You might be surprised on how much is removed . Then you can either chose to Renaissance wax it , keep it well oiled , coat it with RIG grease or buy an anti- corrision pouch from ZCorr . Z-Corr bags were developed for the military who used to Cosmoline for long time storage . Now they clean the weapon , lightly oil it & put it in a sealed Z-Corr bag which last 7 years . Wepon can be pulled out & is immediately fit for duty . No more scrubbing Cosmoline in a wash tank full of gasoline .

Steel wool, or bronze wool, should be used dry. Using it with oil creates a sludge of iron oxide, which is abrasive.

And using steel wool will not create rust. I use it every day, have for 40+ years-and have never had a problem with rusting.

My feeling is one should leave well enough alone in most cases particularly with an heirloom gun as it reflects the use your ancestor gave the gun. If you want to refurbish it as a working gun then perhaps a refinish makes sense.

I've had a couple guns refurbished. Refurbished goes further then just the finish, everything on the gun is checked and put into spec. I had a Python done in 2005 for $250 by Colt. The gun was absolutely beautiful when it came back and smooth as silk.

S&W was pretty much the same in that time period for price.

If you go with someone local to you before you give them the gun ask to see a sample of what they have done.

Back