Smith and Wesson Refurbishing

wmg1299

I inherited a .38 special Model 10 when my uncle passed away. The gun was most likely manufactured in the early 60's, and shows some pitting on the finish. The gun is more of a keepsake to me, and I have only taken it to the range once. My question is, should I get the gun refurbished/refinished? I am not concerned about the cosmetics, but would do it if it would ensure that the gun would last for generations, or if it would harm the pistol to leave it in its current state.

If you are not concerned about the cosmetics, I would advise against a refurbish/refinish. Give it a good coating of a quality preservative like Renaissance Wax and let it age gracefully.

Echo leaving it in it’s current state unless totally a mess, refinishing would necessarily need to be done by a master ( which most reblue jobs are not) in order to preserve the integrity of the stampings, smooth areas and sharp lines. I would much rather have a used finish Smith than a mediocre new blue.

My condolences on your loss.
"...ensure that the gun would last for generations..." It's already done that.
Don't think that's the original finish anyway, but refinishing it will not affect its value. It has no collector value either. I'd have it phosphated or industrial hard chromed.

Of course that's the original finish!
It won't hurt a thing to leave it alone. A quality reblue will cost as much as the gun is worth. Unless you upgrade the finish to hard chrome or similar, I say leave it alone.

I know this is heresy to the "grind down and cold blue" crowd, but if the gun shown by Arquebus357 is in good working order, it might be better for carry than a nice new gun. If you use the gun for self defense there is a good chance that the gun will be badly treated if you even get it back. Of course if you want a showpiece, then you want a nice finish, etc. But don't carry the show gun.

Jim

Save your money and go buy some ammo. In its current condition you don't have to worry about any of the little nicks and dings that eventually show on a gun that gets used.

I've got a 15-2 that has a couple spots of pitting on the barrel and cylinder. That gun is just as accurate as anything else I own and a better firearm than just about anything being made today. You would have to pay my to get that gun refinished.

It's post-1957, so S&W factory would charge more than $250 for a good going through and re-finish, would they? Times may have changed.

Give it a good cleaning, apply a THIN coat of Res. wax or Johnson & Johnson's paste wax and you should be good to go. Don't forget to remove the grips to check for hidden rust.

I have a model 10 like that, that even has a Texas court case # scratched into the grip frame. I put Pachmayr grips on it that covers the #, and it's one of my favorite carry guns.

I say leave it as it is!

So, it depends on how much you want to spend and what you think the gun is worth.

4667700672_515c892e81_b.jpg

4667079797_aa8d79d8cc_b.jpg

Ford's Master Blue.

8529464798_e70cc4ab22.jpg

8528351117_fd5b9e1b75_z.jpg

Now, there were issues on the restore that were my fault and not Fords. Is the gun worth what I have in it? To me yes, could I sell it for what I have in it? No. But I do carry it and it's my Sunday gun and worth it to me.

Keep it clean and dry, check it for rust occasionally, and it should be fine. I have a "Pre Model 10" from 1916 that has almost no finish left on it at all. I just rub all over with an oily rag after every cleaning. It has zero rust and functions perfectly.

I wouldn't refinish.
Give it a good cleaning with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover...done by hand with a small pad it will clean off dirt, grime crud and surface rust without removing any of the remaining blue finish. Wax it with a pure carnauba paste wax and it will look just fine.
Refinishing will actually lower the value...but to me the most damage is the removal of it's character...the honest wear from honest use by your Uncle...don't destroy it.
Gary

I am not concerned about the value of the gun (collector or otherwise). The gun has sentimental value and I can't picture ever selling it. I would like to pass it down to one of my sons, or one of their kids when the time comes. If refinishing would prolong the life of the pistol, then I would strongly consider it, even if the cost exceeded the gun's current value. Have any other members had their guns factory refinished? If so, were you happy with the results?

Refinishing won't prolong the life of the gun. It's simply a cosmetic issue.
If the gun is properly maintained it will last for hundreds of years.

The S&W factory no longer does the same finishes they did 50 yrs ago...its an entirely different process now..../ ...and it will give it a slightly different look vs the original finish. I don't know what S&W would charge for a refinish...you would have to call them and get an estimate - see what options they have but there is nothing special in a "Factory Refinish" in my view.

There are a lot of after market places that would refinish ..or recoat...etc ...for probably $ 300 - $500.../ ideally you want to find someone in your area and discuss your options with them.

Personally, I would leave it alone.../ ...wax or oil it and leave it as is. I have an old "Victory" model, that was parkerized originally, and most of it has worn off...but it doesn't matter / it still shoots great. A wipe down with some oil once in a while is all it needs.

BTW...this is how that rust bucket model 15 above looks now. I know...no collector value. I'm not a collector. The folks I deal with are also not collectors and are happy to get a decent looking S&W revolver for a reasonable price. Is that a problem ?

The bluing is darker bkack that the flash photo above. It looks more like this photo of the cylinder.

Last edited:
Back