Smith and Wesson 66-2

That would be a nice S&W for a fair price around the San Antonio area. I gave $800 for a very nice 2 1/2" 66-2 with the box, tools and papers about 3 years ago. Speed Six would be a nice partner for that 66.
Congratulations!

Nice. I love a good pre-lock SW. And I find the K frames are more comfortable than the L frames, but then again I shoot .38 special almost exclusively in my revolvers. So i don't really need the L frames.

Wendyj, several things. Remember you did not overpay for a revolver, you just bought ahead of the curve.
If you are going to put rubber grips on it, remember they can attract and hold moisture, so remove them every six or so months and wipe the frame down with a silicon cloth.
Enjoy that guy and we are looking forward to a range report.

Haha, okay good point about rubber grips and moisture but -where- do you come up with six months...?! If there is moisture... six months is a crazy time frame of "acceptable."

Going to Glacier & Yellowstone in June what?

I currently have two S & W revolvers; one a 642 would be loaded with BB Outdoorsman, The other a 6.5" 629. Probably buy some 305 gr hard BB for this.
Will have a can of Bear Spray to use first, the 642 with the outdoors ammo, would be the best to carry, marginal on bears, but probably OK for wolfs, or lions up close and personal. The 629 would be the better by far, but harder to carry, as I will have my wife to look after as well as lugging around my cameras.
Considering a new model 69, lighter and shorter than my 629.
BUT with all this recoil discussion of the 686 vs the new 66, I am not sure
I could hold on to the 69, especially with bear loads.
Appreciate all thoughts.
Thanks

Duane

I can't tell any difference in recoil from new model 686 verses the older model 66 even with wooden hand grips. 357 doesn't bother me like I keep reading about. My favorite caliber in a hand gun. 38+p in model 60 more than comfortable and hot 357 in the snub by no issue either. Late evenings muzzle flash irritating to an extent but not recoil. I like the 66 way better than the 686 but that's just my opinion. It sure is keeping me busy at the loading bench on a single stage trying to load up 2-300 a week to shoot up on the weekends.

Wendyj Why can you not get a price from Buds ? I bought two Rugers from Buds last year (both same time) . Very easy to buy from Buds and the price on new guns is hard to beat . Most of the time free shipping to .

I've tried Buds a few times but I've found better deals at Guns America. Also don't have last minute bid to fall through. I just like seeing and holding mine before buying. Local gun store does better than Buds if I wait for right deal. I try and stay away from larger stores like Cabellas or Bass Pro. Ga Gun Store is within 10 miles and with their app I get to see deals of the day and they've been beating most of my other stores by 100 per gun. Not many used but it's where I buy my new ones.

Recoil is very personal and different for everyone. I feel more at home with .460 Mag from my 8-3/8" XVR than I do with .44 Mag from a 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk.

It's fantastic that it rolls off you like water off a duck's back but trust us, it is real. ;)

The rare Model 66 variant that I've always wanted came with a 3", barrel with a full-length ejector housing (I think it was a LadySmith but with a 3" long barrel instead of the standard 2 1/2" one), sort of like a Model 65 with adjustable sights. I've only seen a couple over the years while visiting a lot of gun shows. The last one I saw was priced @ $1,250.00 and the owner would not budge from this nosebleed high price-and neither would I if I was ever fortunate enough to own one. To me, it's the perfect size and configuration for a revolver carried in a holster on the hip for self-defense.

The 66-2 had a recall. It would jam (cylinder would not rotate) when loaded and pointed upward. Burrs on the plate would catch/snag on the case heads. I used a Dremel to remove burrs.

Bought mine new in 82, cost before fees was $345. I only use my handloads of 6.0 700X, 124 gr JHP and 357 brass. Recoil is staut and comfortable. Grips are Pachmeyr and I still have the original wood grips.

Well, good on you Wendy, you can't go wrong with the older ones, especially the S&Ws. They aren't going down in price and won't going forward. I have probably owned all the Smiths at one time or another, the 66 was always a favorite! I sold all of them off over the years but lately have stumbled across a couple I couldn't resist. I was in Cabalas one day and they had a Chief Special 2'' with the original box. I would say it was 95+%. It also came with an extra set of grips. I got them down $45 bucks and left with it for $459. Looking at the extra grips in a plastic bag, which were very nice looking, I found they had a K.B. stamped on the inside. A little research and they were identified as Kieth Brown grips. I'll let you look that up.

Another one I found was in the states when a friends mother was getting rid of a bunch of old guns in the attic (150 deg). One was a Chief Special unfired in a gun rug. This was the aluminum framed 3". I gave $150 for that one but spent a week soaking baked on fur off the frame. The gun had been oiled and put in that environment for 25 yrs!

I love em both, but feel somewhat like a thief.

Back