Smith 360 PD .357 magnum

HighValleyRanch

Picked up my new Smith & Wesson 360 PD today. I've wanted one for quite a while to pocket carry around the ranch.
Right off, loaded it fews so light, even compared to my 3" LCRX. And fits into my front jeans pocket perfectly, or appendix hidden under a light tank top.
I already have an SL Vairant 5 shot J frame speed loader for it.

So I just took it down to the field for the honeymoon experience. After viewing all the YT reviews during my CA waiting period, I wondered, how bad can it be in comparison to my light weight LCRX at only a few ounce heavier?

The trigger on the one I got is OK. Notrhing like the butter cream of my Kimber K6. SIngle action is fine, but the double action is workable, but hopefully might smooth out with lots of dry firing and range time. I like the FO front sight and I did not do any accuracy testing or chronographing today. Just various ammo to test out the recoil impulse.

I shoot support thumb over the web of my shooting hand, JM style.
That helps greatly in controlling muzzle rise on light revolvers and thumb cocking with the off hand if that is needed or desired. I shot all shots today with single action until I get used to the funky Smith DA.

Started out with a few round of .38 medium reloads. Then three rounds of Federal HST micro .38 +P rounds shaped like wad cutters. One of my favorite SD rounds for carry. I have these loaded in the CCW with truncated or round nose types in the Variant speed loader for speed of loading, and then another 8 round strip of HST for backup.
No problem with pain or recoil on this load, although I don't plan on firing 100 rounds at an range outing of it, even if I could afford it.
Then three rounds of BUFFALO BORE OUTDOORSMAN .38 SPECIAL +P!
Yeah, the stuff that's equivalent to 38/44 and medium .357. tested at over 400 Ft. lbs in the short barrel LCR .357.

Yes, I did feel it, but nothing that I could not handle in an SD situation. The Muzzle flip was not much different than the LCR with magnum loads.
But the main difference is that the backstrap is exposed on this Smith as opposed to wrap around rubber grips on my Kimber and LCR for .357
For extended firing and testing of hotter .357 loads I will wear some padded gloves until I find a nice hogue wrap around grip

My wife fell in love with the gun and joking said she wants one too. I will develop a light solid bullet load (LeHigh Xtreme Defense bullet) in .38 for her to work with.
attachment.php

Very happy with the new gun.

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1,945
This gun is so attractive, I really prefer semi auto......BUT for this weight, I am seriously thinking about this. How can you beat the reliability of a revolver. All the semi autos at this weight class have spotting reliability and the capacity is not much better, you only get 6+1 at best. I am not even sure it's a good idea to load 6+1.

Only thing I would say is revolver is slightly thicker than the smallest semi-auto. BUT, you can have 357Mag!!!! Those semi that can touch this are 380 only. Even 38+P is a gain already.

I have two M36 and had one M37, so I am very familiar with this gun. I have faith on the steel M36, I am not too comfortable with the M37. They are not even rated for +P. You guys think this scandium alloy frame firing +P can hold up as good as the M36 with normal 38?

Last edited:
Although revolvers are thicker in the cylinder than semi autos, the rest of the gun is much thinner. I am getting some thinner grips to put on this one. It hides in the pocket well and AIWB under a tank top.
Yes it will handle +P all day long for as long as you can take it. As it is rated for .357, no problem on the .38 +P. I also read on a forum that the guy called S&W and they told him that the 120 grain or larger does not apply to .38 special, only .357 magnum.

Picked up my new Smith & Wesson 360 PD today.
Wanted to like it, but good gawd! that ugly-as-sin Hillary bugger-hole just kills any possible esthetic appreciation. :rolleyes:

S&W really wrecked it with that sniveling corporate decision. Very sad. :(

Congratulations! Great gun.

How was it with 357’s?

I ask because I shot my 340 with 357’s and the stock grip was not enough to hold onto. Beat me bloody in 5 shots.

I want to carry 357’s or 38+p’s, so I have to figure this out. I’m thinking I need the right grip. I need more palm swell, but I don’t just want huge grips.

I've only shot a few rounds. The .38 special +P outdoorsman are compable to the Magtech .357 in past trials with the LCR, so holding the gun or recoil was not a problem.
But everything being a trade off, having thin conceable grips vs. fat controllable grips is going to be difference.
I haven't got one of the rubber wraparound grips yet to try with full house underwood or BB .357, but it's in the plans

Well, one has to be reasonable. This is only about 11oz, .357 is a POWERFUL round. Only thing that tell me about this gun is it's made strong enough to fire a .357. So it's going to last a long time firing 38 +P. Isn't that very good already?

What is the alternative? all the small semi are only 380 and questionable reliability!!! You have a +P, super reliable one of the same weight, what else do you want.

Like I said before, I have been all semi, but this one turns my head. I would never even look at a revolver until this one. Only thing that stop me from running to the store is the price. That's steep and I have a Walter PPKS, a few Beretta 950BS and a few Freedom Arms .22Mag mini revolvers..............Don't laugh at the little Freedom Arms. I chronograph them, 1" barrel got 1,100fps and 1 3/4" got 1,3000fps with CCI. this is no joke for this tiny thing.

This one really bring stopping power into a different dimension.

Last edited:
It's not too bad with 38's, just try some 357 Mag and get back to me. I did have 340PD once and it was plain awful, the external hammer version should be a touch better.

Well, my grip search is going a bit poorly with my 340….

S&W are thin for my hand.
HOGUE G10 are same, but smoother and harder.
Pachmayr Compac Pro are more narrow, but a bit grippier
Pachmayr Compac’s are a little big to me.

So, waiting on VZ’s or Hogue Bantums to save the day.

pardon me if the following comes across to be all knowing, but I am not, I just want to share my way of shooting all these years.

I was doing a lot of shooting back in the 80s and early 90s, twice a week, putting like 500 round each time. I do NOT squeeze the gun when I shoot. I relax my hands, when the gun fired, I let the gun push my hands up. I don't resist. I NEVER have problem of strong kick back from 357Mag. I even shot the mini 4oz Freedom Arms 1" barrel 22mag. I just relax and not forcing the gun from popping up.

I am not a slow shooter, I shot at moderate speed. But recovery is NEVER a problem. The gun just pop up, and it will drop after the pop.

Again, I am not trying to brag, but I am sure the first question is "can you shoot?". Yes, I am definitely above average. I average high 70 to low 80% into the black at 25yds with standard target at moderate speed of a little over 60 rounds per 10mins. Which includes reloading, looking at the target with scope to check. It's not bang bang bang, but it's not shoot one shot, rest and shoot another shot.

The more you squeeze the gun thinking you can recover faster, the slower it might end up. I never feel I have a speed limit. Give it a try, don't try a few rounds and say no, put in more time. This was how I roll with success. I don't even feel there's any difference in accuracy between shooting 22 vs 45. I practice on Ruger MarkII bull barrel 22, and went on competition with my GoldCup 45 with just one session of 45 before the competition. It really made no difference to me. recoil has never been an issue.

Ha ha, try the 4oz Freedom Arms 1" 22Mag, talk about hard to hold and recoil.

Just a thought.

... I also read on a forum that the guy called S&W and they told him that the 120 grain or larger does not apply to .38 special, only .357 magnum.

Read Page 13 of the current Revolver Manual regarding selection of ammunition for your lightweight J-frame. (Hint: you're checking for signs of bullet pull with the ammunition you plan to use.)

https://www.smith-wesson.com/sites/...S&W_JKLN_Revolver_Manual_112119_416560000.pdf

We were told in a revolver armorer class that the reason for the bullet weight warning in the manual was due to the hotter burning propellants used in Magnum loads using bullet weights below 120gr offering the potential for premature erosion of the titanium cylinder throats and cylinder face.

CAUTION: Do not use Magnum loads with bullet weights of less
than 120 grains - This will reduce the possibility of premature ero-
sion in titanium alloy cylinders.

Also, use care in the cleaning methods (especially brushes) you use on the titanium cylinder, as you don't want to break through the surface hardening.

Just some thoughts.

Congrats on the 360 PD. It's a nicely handy lightweight J-frame. While I never ordered one of the Sc/Ti J's, I did order a couple of the slightly heavier M&P 340's (which use heavier PVD blackened stainless steel cylinders, but still use the Sc/Al frames, and Al yokes and barrel shrouds).

Even though my M&P 340's are chambered for .357MAG, and I ran a few hundred rounds of various Magnum loads through my first one, to demonstrate it could be done while qualifying and performing rapid, controllable and accurate shot strings ... I typically carry one or another of my preferred +P loads (and use the same loads for the bulk of my quals and practice drills). Accuracy and effective hits matter more than horrendous muzzle flash and blast, after all. (FWIW, I did find that Federal 130gr Low-Recoil Hydra-Shok .357 and W-W 145gr STHP .357 offered a bit less muzzle whip and easier controllability in my M&P 340's, in my hands.)

I have a S&W 422 Target up for trade, mint. This AM guy offered to trade me 360, model in 357 and cash boot. I turned him down. Had it been a 36 we would have dealt.

Wanted to like it, but good gawd! that ugly-as-sin Hillary bugger-hole just kills any possible esthetic appreciation. :rolleyes:

S&W really wrecked it with that sniveling corporate decision. Very sad. :(
The purpose of a pocket revolver isn’t aesthetics. I took the flag out of mine to disable the lock but I don’t care how it looks.

My 360 gets a lot of use. Bought it yrs ago from a guy in the southeast US who carried it next to his bare skin. I knew it was cosmetically challenged but shot very little. Got it for $300 IIRC. Developed a load for stick itin your ear bear wrestling while bow hunting elk. The load was 185 (yes 185 not 158) chroned at 1,000 fps. Took a bit to get crimp right to eliminate bullet creep. That was a decade ago.

Now my pocket gun, equipped with Crimson Trace green laser girps and loaded with three 125gr at a little over 900 fps that hit close to POA at 25 yrds. These for warning shots (quick recovery), and for dog protection. These are backed up by two rounds of Buf Bore 180gr outdoorsman (won't shoot unless at bad breath range, so diff in POI does not matter)

Laser adjusted after shooting the target shown below

thumbnail_IMG_4313.jpg

360%202%20thumbnail_IMG_5948.jpg

FWIW,

Paul

Original poster great choice you made there my EDC is a scandium frame J-frame 357 as well. Mine is the centennial brother to yours. Mine has the blackened stainless PVD coated cylinder so it's few ounces heavier loaded. On my postal scale with the crimson trace grips and loaded with 5 rounds on 125 grain 357 Magnum JHP's it weighs in at 13.9oz. still almost 4oz. Lighter than the 642 it replaced and only 3oz heavier than the 340PD I gave to my little sister when she got her CCW permit. She loved the gun and the same LG405 crimson trace grips it had too.

Also Alan0354 may I suggest a set of crimson trace laser grips for your J frame? I have the LG405's that cam on my M&P340 that I got used a few months ago. They also make their LG350's as well as pictured above on Paul105's 360SC. Either handle and mitigate recoil very well,with the LG405's on my M&P340 I can do 50 round of 357 Magnum defensive ammo and can do double tap pairs really well.

The laser is also an added benefit. They really do improve the shootabllity and recoil control of the little J frame I hope this helps you out somewhat in your grip search.

"Well, my grip search is going a bit poorly with my 340….

S&W are thin for my hand.
HOGUE G10 are same, but smoother and harder.
Pachmayr Compac Pro are more narrow, but a bit grippier
Pachmayr Compac’s are a little big to me.

So, waiting on VZ’s or Hogue Bantums to save the day.
Nathan is offline Report Post"

If you can find them,Uncle Mikes boot grips are a very good choice.

Back