Smart guns? What?

And they'll all be useless in the event of EMP :D

Its also bloody simply to make a household localized EMP device...
put one at each enterance, and set 'em to pop when unauthorized entery occurs...
Gee, Officer, yer stuff doesn't work anymore :eek: Radios, pacemakers, & guns are done!!

Now that I think on it a bit, I do wonder why anyone would accept the risks of actually trying to build and market a "smart gun" system.

It seems to me that either fail position has legal risks. What is the default (fail) position of the smart gun? If it fails in the "safe" mode no one can shoot it. In this regard, it is the same as a "dumb" gun, that is broken, unable to be fired.

Except, that the gun is not broken, only the authorization system, have you marketed a defective product?

or is the fail position, full unrestricted use for anyone (just like a dumb gun)?
Either way, I see a lawsuit from someone who needs a gun to fire and it won't, as well as someone who needed it not to fire, and it did...

Gee, let me know when they get 100% reliable guns to apply that 100% reliable technology.

More East coast antigun BS.

By the time that becomes a reality, if ever, people will be calling for RoboCop.

After the ED-209 incident, I'm pretty sure going with a robotic police officer would never be an option. :D

Hi, 9x18_Walther,

Sure it could be bypassed, but you can bet the law would include a 20 year sentence for doing so. And of course, the chip would report every minute or so 24/7 and if it stopped, the police would come knocking.

That is assuming that they don't get their dream of summary execution for gun owners, which was once proposed as "common sense" gun control.

Jim

Now that I think on it a bit, I do wonder why anyone would accept the risks of actually trying to build and market a "smart gun" system.

The rationale was trying to break Glock as it was thought police would jump at hit for many thousands of unit sales. Didn't turn out that way.

At the end of the day, the market will decide. Manufacturers don't want the trouble and expense behind the necessary R&D. They certainly don't want to ship a potentially defective product.

Furthermore, consumers...well, consumers just don't care. They certainly won't pay a premium for the technology. In fact, most will be steer clear of it.

If you can program a smart gun to not fire, I wonder if you can program a smart gun to fire remotely....????? Hmmmmm, Evil Hacker might find this entertaining.

If I super glue an Mp3 player to my Glock, does that make it smart, or would it just look smart?

Tom, the market is irrelevant. The whole idea is to ban guns and confiscate all existing guns; the "smart" gun is a pretense. If the law says that that only "smart" guns can be owned, and if such guns do not exist, the antis get their gun ban and confiscation under the guise of a safety measure.

Jim

Sure it could be bypassed, but you can bet the law would include a 20 year sentence for doing so. And of course, the chip would report every minute or so 24/7 and if it stopped, the police would come knocking.

Joined the NRA this morning. The choice is becoming clearer by the moment.

Quote:
The latest idea being floated is that a "smart gun" would have a GPS chip so there would be a record of its location all times and the police would know if it was being carried or was used in a crime. Another idea is to tie the chip into the internet so that if there were a riot or uprising, the police could go "on line" and deactivate all the guns in that neighborhood, city, state, or even the whole country.

They never stop with the insanity, do they?
My area of work is in computers and electronics. The ease at bypassing this is laughingly simple.

It's not enough that I have to wear a tin foil hat, now I have to get one for my gun too.

It's not enough that I have to wear a tin foil hat, now I have to get one for my gun too.

Judging from the other responses, that won't work. It will be just like a house arrest bracelet. The signal better not fade...

As a general rule, anything that has "Easy" (EZ), "universal", or "smart" in its title is a miserable piece of junk.

Joined the NRA this morning. The choice is becoming clearer by the moment.

Good for you! Say what you will about the NRA they are the big dog on our side in the fight.

If you decided to get the American Rifleman I'm pretty sure you'll find at least one technical article in each issue that you'll enjoy reading so there is that.

Also if you've got a wood burning fireplace or stove letting the NRA get your name and address could send you a long way down the road to heating your house this winter. (They'll send you a LOT of mail unless you tell them not to.)

Good luck.

I wont trust a gun safe with electronics let alone a gun.

That's exactly how I feel too. Although, there are plenty of people depending on biometrics to work correctly for them if they need their gun.

What would be the big difference in the minds of the gun control crowd. I can hear it already in their arguments: "What's the problem with biometrics on your handgun? You already store your gun that way and that's acceptable to you!

Back