Smart guns? What?

M3rinec0rps

Inactive
I was on reading an article on the sig sauer p229 yesterday and found a troubling "related article" stating that New Jersey wants to mandate the sales of "smart guns." In other words they want to ban all salespeople regular firearms. This is most irritating as the government loves gun control and could easily develop a way to deactivate these guns should they feel the urge. what do you guys think?

That is about 20 years old. They passed a law that WHEN the technology became available that only smart guns could be sold there.

I honestly wouldn't worry.

If "smart guns" ever became a thing, police would have to use them as well.

The first time a cop's gun doesn't discharge when they pull the trigger, you'll never hear about "smart guns" again.

I honestly wouldn't worry.

If "smart guns" ever became a thing, police would have to use them as well.

The first time a cop's gun doesn't discharge when they pull the trigger, you'll never hear about "smart guns" again.

What if police and military weapons were to be exempted from the requirement?

Of course they would.
Isn't that the ultimate goal of the folks who want smart guns?
That only the government will have guns?

A law like that would never happen. If a police officer's firearm is stolen or used in a crime the department would have a ton of liability on their hands.

Some people dislike law enforcement enough. Wait until the police are using "unsafe" guns. I think the micro-stamping initiative in California exempted police weapons until someone brought this point up. The police can not be using weapons that are "less safe" than civilians.

Now am I adamantly opposed to such regulation and legislation of smart guns and micro-stamping? Should these concepts be scrapped immediately? Hell yeah.

The topic of 'smart guns' made an appearance in the October 2015 Popular Science.

Silly stuff IMhO.

Popular Science mentioned that S&W introduced a handgun in 1886 that "requires pulling the trigger and a lever simultaneously. Bonus: It's childproof. More than 500,000 are sold over its 50-plus-year run."

Anybody know which handgun this was?

Without knowing what model it is or how it works I am never the less skeptical it was childproof.

Anybody know which handgun this was?

Smith & Wesson Safety Hammerless

It's just a revolver with a grip safety. I'd argue that the HK P7 (albeit much newer) is more childproof due to the effort required to squeeze the front cocker.

A law like that would never happen.

A law like that might already exist. I do know there are places that ALREADY had laws mandating the "smart gun" when they become available.

A while back I recall discussions on the forum about one such being sold in CA. There were ...issues. Haven't heard anything lately.

EXPECT police to be exempted, #1, they are going to fight like hell to keep from being put at risk by experimental technology, and #2, they aren't going to be at any greater risk of responsibility than they are now, even if all of us are required to use smart guns.

"Smart Gun" is a sound byte, for a gun that will only fire for an authorized user. Generally expected to use some kind of computer system for recognition. So far, a bracelet, or watch with the authorization that needs to be worn has been tried. I don't know about one that reads fingerprints, but the problems with that should be obvious.

One poster related how he had personal experience that you couldn't dial 911 on a touch screen phone when it was covered in blood. With all the possible situations where a handgun HAS to work, no matter what, so far, nothing has proven acceptably reliable.

One attempt appeared to work well enough, using a watch but it was only in .22, as larger calibers recoil broke the system.

Also, in general consider this, no matter what kind of "smart gun" system they invent, there will be a (probably) simple way to disable it. And the bad guys will figure out what that is pretty quickly, even if the news media doesn't help them.

Anytime I hear gun control one needs to show the liberals in society the FP-45 Liberator and Richardson Industries "Guerilla Gun".

Requires a hardware store.

9x18 walther said:
A law like that would never happen. If a police officer's firearm is stolen or used in a crime the department would have a ton of liability on their hands.

As 44 AMP states, a major part of any "smart gun" law will be the automatic exemption for police and military.

Just like the current California laws that only allow citizens to purchase handguns that have passed the state "safety" tests and are on the state-approved "Roster of Handguns" list:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice.

However, if you're a cop, the law doesn't apply.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/exemptpo

It appears that Californians have no problems with the liability of allowing their police to carry handguns that cannot pass firing, safety, and drop tests and which the state will not approve of as "safe".

For some reason they also exempt the police from the "micro-stamping" law. Why would the lawmakers NOT want to be able to identify whether a bullet came from a cop's gun or not, or which cop's gun a bullet came from?

http://www.onenewsnow.com/features/...roblems-for-owners-sellers-makers-of-handguns

Last edited:
It was originally thought that a safe gun would appeal to police as it would solve gun retention problems. However, the police wouldn't buy into.

Colt thought it could dethrone Glock in the police market - didn't happen.

Some market research also found that there was a population that don't have guns but would buy safe guns as they worried about theft and kids.

That's normal free market. However, the kicker came in when antigun legislators wanted to mandate the guns. That law in NJ has been a horror for them as the state would have to switch to a crappy 22 LR according to the law and even antigun legislators started to rethink the law as it seemed this gun would void all other guns being sold.

Without the legislative mandate - it's just another crappy product.

No one gets it work. I know someone who worked on a gun at a NJ university with a grant from Taurus. Never worked.

The latest idea being floated is that a "smart gun" would have a GPS chip so there would be a record of its location all times and the police would know if it was being carried or was used in a crime. Another idea is to tie the chip into the internet so that if there were a riot or uprising, the police could go "on line" and deactivate all the guns in that neighborhood, city, state, or even the whole country.

They never stop with the insanity, do they?

Jim

The latest idea being floated is that a "smart gun" would have a GPS chip so there would be a record of its location all times and the police would know if it was being carried or was used in a crime. Another idea is to tie the chip into the internet so that if there were a riot or uprising, the police could go "on line" and deactivate all the guns in that neighborhood, city, state, or even the whole country.

They never stop with the insanity, do they?

My area of work is in computers and electronics. The ease at bypassing this is laughingly simple.

The first "Smart Gun" to be commercially available might be a Mossberg.

http://http://www.iguntechnology.com/explore/index

-10-280x170-1.jpg

Here's another point to consider, aside from the exemption for police and military weapons. What happens when the gun needs to go in for repair? Do we end up with strictly factory service? A weapon sent to an independent gunsmith would have to have some means of being overridden for the smith to work on it.

This whole "smart gun" technology is just a can of worms.

From 9x18:
"My area of work is in computers and electronics. The ease at bypassing this is laughingly simple."

And it will be hacked soon after it's marketed. Just like it's happened with 'smart' cars.

Back