Smallest Centerfire Revolver Currently In Production?

A S&W .32 Safety Hammerless is about the smallest revolver I can really handle.
If you had a new cylinder and top latch made out of strong steel, it would shoot a reasonable amount of .32 ACP and you could load it down to .32 S&W level for practice.

S&W needs to bring back the I frame. I have one with a 6" barrel and I would LOVE to have one with a short barrel. Its small and light. I would like to handle that Taurus 380. Now all they need to do is lengthen that cylinder a tad, change the ejector and chamber it for 32 H&R and I'll buy one most RICKEY TICK!:D

I too have been keeping my eye out for one of the Ruger 327's but havent seen one yet. I have a few Smith I frames and they are small but the smallest 32 I have is my Smith model 30 in 32Long. I cant really think of any production guns that small other than the Taurus 380's.

Back in the 80's, I went down to Longs Drugstore (it was a chain) and bought a .32cal Charter Arms revolver. Some years later it was stolen. I really liked that little gun.

That Rossi Princess is about the right size. You could use modern alloys and make a 7-shot in .22lr, 6-shot in .22 Mag, and 5-shot in .32 S&W Long.

The 732 H&R 32 S&W Long is a little smaller than a "J" frame. I had a 2" and it shot surprisingly well. Many for sale used with little use.

The .22 Rossi shown by Bill Deshivs, is a copy of the old Third Model S&W Ladysmith (Model M Hand Ejector Third Model), and is the same size. The 7-shot cylinder is the same diameter as that of the S&W Model 1, though the Ladysmith is a double action.

Most folks think the Ladysmith was limited to .22 Long because the cylinder was too small to use the more powerful .22 Long Rifle. That is not true; the .22 LR at that time did not use a crimped bullet and the recoil caused the bullet to move forward and tie up the gun, so S&W stated that it was not for use with the .22 LR. (It would have been adequate for the old .22 LR as far as pressure was concerned, but would be marginal today with modern ammo, and the guns are too valuable today to risk firing with anything.)

IMHO, the little Ladysmiths (and copies) are too small to be practical except where concealment is a primary consideration.

Jim

Well, I've come to the conclusion that the smallest centerfire revolver currently in production is the Charter Arms Undercover DAO. It's cylinder is smaller than the Taurus no view and its overall dimensions are smaller than than a ladysmith or the Taurus offering in .380 or a S&W 340. It's lots smaller than an LCR. So kudos to Charter Arms. They make great products.
But I am still puzzled that the smallest revolvers are still pretty much in 38 special. I wish there was a smaller 32 mag revolver that was not just built on a 38 special frame.

Small

Small? An antique.
This is the smallest that I have shot... a Baby Bulldog in 320 Revolver:

Last edited:
Back