Smallest Centerfire Revolver Currently In Production?

Radny97

Been doing a little looking and I can't seem to find a clear answer to this question. I'm looking to find out what is the smallest revolver currently in production that shoots a centerfire cartridge (meaning that NAA is OFF the list). I'm guessing it will shoot 32 H&R mag but I've not found a clear winner.
By smallest I mean smallest dimensions (length, width, height).

To my knowledge it will be a "j" frame-sized gun like the S&Ws, Taurus, or Charter Arms.
The Charter may be the smallest. The other makers have stretched their frames to accomodate the .357 magnum. These are all made in .38 Spl., and other calibers-but no matter the caliber, the guns are the same size.

Taurus does make a .380 ACP revolver that is sized to the cartridge, and they also make "The View" and it's variants that are a .38 spl. frame with everything else minimized.

Looks like the view and no view are out of production. What's the next smallest? I guess I'm surprised that the smallest is chambered in 38 special. Seems like someone would be making a smaller one in one of the 32 calibers.

The gunmakers haven't figured out that a smaller-framed .32 acp revolver would sell like crazy.
But, they produce .410 revolvers.

Pretty sure there used to be an I frame but I dont think its made any more. It was smaller by a little then a j frame and was .32

The gunmakers haven't figured out that a smaller-framed .32 acp revolver would sell like crazy.
But, they produce .410 revolvers.

I'd love a small frame gun, 5 shot in .32 ACP, something somewhere between a J-frame and an NAA mini. A single action would be fine if they could make it really small.

Pretty sure there used to be an I frame but I dont think its made any more. It was smaller by a little then a j frame and was .32

The I frame was slightly smaller than the J frame, but it hasn't been made since S&W went to the J frame to fit the 38 Special.

Here's some pictures of an I frame S&W model 34 in 22LR compared with a Kel-tec K32. They should provide some perspective there are so few "tiny" 32 caliber revolvers.

An I frame in 32 H&R magnum with an alloy frame would be a terrific idea.

I own the Charter Arms one, but I don't think it's any smaller than the 38.

I've thought about getting a little S&W .32 (or .38 S&W) top break with a snub barrel. Get it cheap with a worn finish, hard chrome or cerakote it and carry it.

Really wish a current one was available.

Taurus View with Lucite side plate so you can see the innards. It is smallest/lightest 38 revolver that was ever made. I have one in my collection. They are hard to find yet and out of production.

Last edited:
Tallball is right, the frame and cylinder sizes are the same.

I think that the smallest production of late was the Taurus View/No View, but as was pointed out they didn't last long and are now out of production. I can not speak of the .380ACP offering out there as I've never seen one.

I recently picked up a No View and really the only thing smaller than any other five shot 38 out there are the grips and barrel, and in my opinion both are too small to be of much serious usefulness.
The grip is too small for my size 9 gloved hands, (read: average) to actually get any kind of real grip on.

Typically when a manufacturer offers a small revolver in 32 caliber they up the round count in the cylinder by one using the same frame size as a five round 38.
I suppose that making a five round 32 would save a little diameter on the cylinder, but I doubt that notably much. Any smaller on the grip or barrel under what is already available out there, would be hinging on the 'too small to be useful' size of the Taurus View.
The View didn't go over very well on the market, both offerings only remaining in production for about one year each.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand the desire for, but doubt much could be reduced in size and still be useful under what is already out there really. I don't believe that the difference would be that great.

When Tammy gets home later I'll take a picture of her Charter Arms 'Southpaw' Pink Lady, (which is about as small as current production revolvers get to my knowledge) next to my Taurus No View and post it, in order to demonstrate what I am getting at.

Picture as promised
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160416_233053470.jpg
    IMG_20160416_233053470.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 2,123
Last edited:
I would have to think a 5-shot .32 ACP cylinder on an NAA single action style frame (obviously would have to be scaled up) would still be an immensely small revolver. Give it a 2" bbl. Would be very thin with a properly heat treated cylinder, and light as well.

If the entire gun was sized to the .32 acp it could be much smaller than the .38s. The view is a standard .38 frame with a tiny grip and barrel.
The .32 S&W top break guns were much smaller and were easily handled. Here is a 7 shot .22 next to a S&W model 60. It's easily handled despite it's size.

I believe they dropped it, but Taurus used to make a 5-shot revolver in .327 Federal Magnum that would also handle several other .32 caliber rounds. But it wasn't especially small -- it was on the same Taurus small frame as the Model 94 .22LR, and whatever model number they assigned to the .380 ACP revolver.

I will admit that I went to a gun show this morning in Moscow Mills where a gentleman had a half dozen of the H&R top break 32s and I can see that those were and could be sized down some from what is typical today. Not much, but notably a little bit smaller without necessarily sacrificing usability.

"...there are so few "tiny" 32 caliber revolvers..." Nobody wants a .32 S&W. Webley made 'em in their 'B' series, eons ago. (Currently being made by Indian Ordnance Factory at 2 grand US, a pop. .32 calibre is the max allowed for civilian ownership by Indian law.) Wasn't exactly 'small' though.
A .32 H&R isn't exactly small case wise either. Case length is 1.075".

I still think NAA should make a 5-shot centerfire .32 ACP revolver based on a scaled up mini revolver frame. The cylinder could be well short, and the gun light.

Back