small varmints...Fly swatter season

Clark

I have been working on my technique.

The flies that get in the corner of the window, I need to pay special attention to how I line up the angles. My kill ratio is way up.

The wife is not as sporting, and is using a vacuum cleaner.

Always wanting to keep my eye sharp and hone my hunting skills. My choice of weapons during the always fun fly season is the reliable red rubber band.

rubberbands.gif

Jim

It's different in the desert.

If a fly gets into a tourist's beer, he goes, "Yuck!" and buys another beer.

A desert dweller who's been there a while just ignores the fly. Drinks around it.

An old-timer desertrat will reach out, grab a fly and throw it in his beer--for the extra protein.

An old-timer desertrat will reach out, grab a fly and throw it in his beer--for the extra protein.
Here I thought it was because of my liking the fly's enticing crunch. Protein. Yup. Is a nice polite explanation for the habit. :)

I turn off all the lights in the house, except the bathroom with the door open 1"

Then after an hour, I enter the bathroom with a fly swatter and close the door behind me.

I flush the bodies down the toilet.

An pneumatic air pistol or air rifle that is uber-cheap (Crosman) makes a great killing tool, HOWEVER!

It is kind of loud
It is quite dangerous and destructive if you aren't extremely certain it is not loaded

And
It makes a holy mess of bugs and the clean up is pretty much not worth it.

But it does work.

Written by Sevens:
An pneumatic air pistol or air rifle that is uber-cheap (Crosman) makes a great killing tool, HOWEVER

Ohhhh I did not think of that. I have a pellet gun that needs some trigger time.

Jim

I've used air soft pistols for flys... Don't get the kind that backspins the bb, not as accurate

Last edited:
I have swatted 42 flies already today with a wimpy old wife flyswatter.
I am getting better at angles, but it feels like tennis elbow.

I just ordered a stiffer swatter with a graphite shaft
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AO5MW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was in Mexico at Zipolite in 1972 and saw 100 flies on a restaurant table.
Usually I can go 6 months around here, Seattle the dead zone, without swatting a fly. Maybe I should sniff around for a dead horse or something.

I've had a Bug-A-Salt for a couple of years.
Not only effective but also a lot of fun.
Hunting flies with a salt shotgun, what's not to like.

Art have you ever got a mouthfull of yellowjackets from your beverage can? That'll separate the wheat from the chaff pretty damn quick!!!:D

Oh man... One time I was driving at freeway speeds (no ac.. Got a powerful hankering thirst for my sodie-pop)

and took a huge swig of my sodie-pop

Unbeknownst to me

There was bees in my sodie-pop

I shudder to this day at the memory

I have done the pump air rifle without a pellet as well

I've got one of those electric fly friers that looks like a tennis racket. Gives a satisfying crackle when you make contact and keeps the kids in line at the same time.

I got (44) flies on Tuesday, (6) on Wednesday, and only (2) so far today.

By the time my fishing pole handle fly swatter gets here from Amazon, the fly season will be over.

hooligan1 said:
Art have you ever got a mouthfull of yellowjackets from your beverage can? That'll separate the wheat from the chaff pretty damn quick!!!
That was the first thing that popped into my head when I read his post, as well.

I've never had it happen to me, because I'm anal-retentive and look at any open beverage that has been outdoors before I take a drink. ...But I've seen it happen to other people.

One of the funniest was my little brother with a can of Coke, while shooting in Utah's west desert.
We were standing around the tailgate of someone's truck, BS-ing while loading some magazines and analyzing handload test results. He took a swig from the can of Coke that had been sitting open for the last hour, plus, wildly threw the can into the sagebrush is an incredibly uncoordinated under-hand/side-hand throw, and just froze.

He stood there making stupid grunting noises, thrusting his tongue out, with a wild, confused look in his eyes, as a yellow jacket squirmed on the back of his tongue with its stinger buried in the flesh.

One of we witnesses reached up, grabbed the yellow jacket, pulled it out, dropped it on the ground, and everyone went about their business as if nothing had happened ...while my little brother attempted to explain how clueless he was to what had happened to him.
We were aware. We were there, too. ;)

He only takes resealable bottled beverages camping, shooting, or to other outdoor events, now. :D

attachment.php

My faster fly swatter arrived.
I had to go to the basement to find two flies.
This new swatter is faster and louder. It sounds like it is going to punch a hole through the wall, but it is so light, it is not going to.

pic above same as link below

Attachments

• fishing pole fly swatter 4-10-2015.jpg
    fishing pole fly swatter 4-10-2015.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 145
Back