"small step to prevent gun deaths---"

DaleA

I continue to be flabbergasted by the rampant lack of real, honest-to-goodness common sense.

Here's the article:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...t-gun-deaths/ar-AALv64f?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The small step is voluntary gun buy backs.

I'm not surprised some people think this might work, dillusional people with no common sense have ALWAYS been among us. What DOES surprise me is these folk and their ideas are getting TRACTION.

This guy isn't some loon living in his parents basement, he's an employed writer for a big time publication and the big time publication didn't shoot this idea down they actually printed it.

Once again, my big frustration isn't that theses screwy ideas and screwy people are around, my frustration is that they are being taken seriously.

Where are the adults in the room?

The people that espouse gun control couldn't pick up a gun safely. Ignorant fools that don't understand how business/legal processes work or don't work...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

At the risk of being lambasted here, I actually think the article was pretty well written. The author seems to have a good grasp on political realities, along with seeming to understand exactly what a buy-back program could possibly effect... and what it could not. The author proposes that the only possible benefit would be the chance of a small reduction in successful suicide and not any murder rate, and seems to sell the idea that any affects would likely be small. I think that’s a reasonable argument. If Biden were to champion any gun control cause right now, a voluntary buy-back would be the least intrusive one possible for us.

Well-written perhaps, but stupid nonetheless.

Rather, the federal government could create a program that provides grants and resources for states, cities, and towns that want to hold voluntary gun buyback programs. Costs for such a program could be low since gun buybacks typically involve exchanging a gun for a gift card, and businesses can donate gift cards.
The low-cost "buy-back" programs are low-cost because they don't compensate the people turning in the guns at anything close to market value for decent, functional firearms. They generally pay $25, $50, or maybe $100 for any gun. How many of your firearms would you sell for $25, $50, or even $100?

I know where I'd start. I have an early 20th century top-break revolver in .32 caliber that I use as a classroom prop just to show students what a top-break revolver is. I paid $25 for it at a local antique shop. It's broken -- it worked in single action but didn't rotate the cylinder in double action. Now it won't fire at all, because I filed down the firing pin. I wouldn't even sell that one for $25, because how/where could I replace it for the same price. Would take $50 for it? Maybe -- but probably not. But I might take $100 for it.

And would my selling that non-functioning old revolver in a pipsqueak chambering make the world (or the country, or my state) safer? Obviously not.,

Of my firing, functional handguns, I think the cheapest one I've ever owned (other than a German-made .22 revolver from when I was too young to know better) was an Argentinian FM Hi-Power clone that cost me $305 almost twenty years ago. According to an inflation calculator, that's equivalent to $420 today. I would have to be insane to sell it to the government for even $100.

Those gun "buy-back" programs are notorious for paying people who turn in broken, irreparable guns and even home-made zip guns that were never intended to shoot, they were just cobbled together out of scrap pipe and a piece of 2x4 to look enough like a gun to win a gift card.

And then there's the issue that those gun "buy-backs" are usually no questions asked -- so gang bangers use them to quasi-legally dispose of crime guns and get paid for them.

IMHO, those programs have nothing to recommend them.

Not again !!!

I continue to be flabbergasted by the rampant lack of real, honest-to-goodness common sense.
Add facts and knowledge to this list. The media controls the propaganda, full of blatant lies and hypocrites. ..... :rolleyes:

If you want to take a more meaning "small" step, start with personally telling the truth. I do my "very" small part, by teaching hunter safety classes. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

5whiskey---I am constantly in awe at the amount of civility shown on this site. I thought you posted a reasoned and thoughtful response and I respect your opinion though I disagree with it.

It's certainly a lot to do with the moderators here but I think the members here deserve a lot of credit for being level headed and polite in their comments. "The High Road" was the same way, and maybe still is, but several other boards are NOT and that is why I appreciate this site.

If Biden were to champion any gun control cause right now, a voluntary buy-back would be the least intrusive one possible for us.

Yes, but there are two problems. We're in the middle of a 1970s style crime wave. If the crime rate goes back down and (not because) they initiated a buyback at some point, they'll conflate the two and insist it become mandatory.

Second, programs like this NEVER go away, even when they're failures. The costs will balloon, and it'll bite into revenues needed for worthwhile programs.

If local municipalities want to do it, OK. But paying taxes into a federal program isn't something I'd support.

Well-written perhaps, but stupid nonetheless.

Its not well written its stupid from the very title on...

"guns deaths" is bad grammar. Guns don't die, they were never alive. And even if we accept the usual slang guns "die" from neglect, abuse, and wearing out.

PEOPLE die, guns don't. This entire mantra of "gun deaths" and gun violence is just further proof that people are if not dumber than they used to be, they are at least poorly educated in basic English.

Any professional writer who uses such terms should have their pay docked, at the least.

I suppose its just one more example of how today, once you pass school, you no longer have to do it "right".

The author seems to have a good grasp on political realities, along with seeming to understand exactly what a buy-back program could possibly effect... and what it could not.
I disagree. There is no research that shows a positive correlation between gun buybacks and crime reduction that I have ever seen published. What gun buybacks DO do is give the owners of hot or non functional firearms a way to dispose of them and get some money in return. As a gunsmith I have heard it many times, if it costs too much to fix it goes to the gun buyback because at least then the owner will get $50 to put towards a newer gun. If the dems really want to see a positive movement trend in gun-related crimes, they need to start putting the perps in prison.

What "gun buy backs" do manage to achieve is to get worthless, rusty or worn out guns out of closets and into recycling. Then the money can be put into getting a better gun. Even if they don't give cash but gift certificates for groceries, that's out of pocket money that would have been spent on food that can go towards a new gun. A few useful idiots will turn in good guns and those are the ones they like to show on the news but most would need some work to qualify as crap.

I put "gun buy backs" in quotes because they can't buy back what was never theirs...

The whole notion that it can somehow prevent crime is a massive crock of BS...

Tony

While I've never participated in one of the "buy-up" programs they call "buy-backs", I'm under the impression that they don't ask many (any?) questions and that no records are made or kept of who turns in what??

If that's so, seems to me to be a good way to get rid of criminal evidence and get some $ or a gift card out of it. Not just a keep out of jail, but here's a bonus on top of that! :rolleyes:

The article reads like a 7th grader's theme paper. He kills his premise himself:

The reason why this could help reduce gun deaths in the country is that much of the gun problem in the United States is a suicide problem. About two-thirds of gun deaths are suicides. Guns, sadly, are also the most effective suicide method.

vs.

The consensus on voluntary gun buybacks is that they don’t get guns out of the hands of criminals, as the Department of Justice points out. We shouldn’t expect criminals in Chicago and Detroit to stop by these events so they can pick up a Red Lobster gift card

When most people think about "gun deaths", they're thinking of crimes committed with guns. Suicides are thrown in with "gun deaths" to inflate the numbers by the anti-gun fear mongers. When they cite statistics showing how most suicide attempts are unsuccessful but that those with firearms are more successful, they don't account for the determination ladder. If someone is determined to commit suicide, why would they sell their gun back? The reasoning is simplistic at best, disingenuous at worst as part of a campaign to soften resistance to future compulsory buybacks.

If that's so, seems to me to be a good way to get rid of criminal evidence and get some $ or a gift card out of it.

It might be, but the vast majority of guns turned in are from people who just don't need them anymore. I remember seeing the records from the Australian buyback, and the majority of guns were bolt-action rimfires, single-shot shotguns, and various black powder guns. Almost no pistols or "military" rifles were surrendered.

From what I've heard of the buybacks we had here in Atlanta, it was mostly the same, with a few pot-metal pistols thrown into the mix. Nobody was turning in functional, effective guns for a $50 Dunkin Donuts gift card.

Like most liberal government programs it's about them having a "feel good" moment, if it makes them happy so be it, if a gun is turned in that might otherwise fall into the wrong hands great.
From what I've seen most of the "guns" turned in are inoperable, parts/stocks, damaged guns, stuff the local pawnshop would give the owner 10 bucks for therefore.
It's a waste of taxpayer money but if you want to go down that road there's fruit much closer to the ground for picking.
If it makes Biden feel good and stalls the gun control bunch for any length of time at all I'm good with it, it won't effect any real gun people.

I have a rusty old pump action Winchester .22 gallery rifle with no guts that I was planning to make a wall hanger out of. If such a program popped up in my area, I'd be temped to let it go if I didn't have to drive too far but the gift card would have to be from somewhere I shop already. An Amazon card would be best since they have gun accessories.

Tony

So, the executive summary is that while a gun buy back program would be the least intrusive method of removing some firearms from the public arena, this type of program hasn't had stellar results in reducing gun fatalities in the past because it apparently doesn't incentivize the most likely victims/users of violent gun activity: suicides and crimes.

Back