Small Pistol in place of Small Rifle primers in an AR15

OK. Looking closer,I stand corrected. Learn something new every day! Thanks!:D That dang Stoner was smart!

The firing pin travels with the carrier, not the bolt. When the bolt hits the breech and stops traveling forward, the carrier and FP are still moving forward. The FP retaining pin will keep the FP from moving forward far enough to protrude through the bolt face until the bolt has receded into the carrier far enough that the lugs are almost totally locked, as totaldla said. He is right about that.
Minor correction: The pin does nothing other than keep the firing pin from falling out when the bolt carrier accelerates forward. The FP has a shoulder that limits forward travel. The maximum FP protrusion is machined into bolt carrier and firing pin length dimensions.

I've now stared at the AR15 lockup more than anytime in the past :)

Jeesh

I'm always amazed by people that ask for advice and then rebuff every reply that's given. If you don't understand, or care, why manufacturers recommend certain components for certain applications, then blow yourself and your equipment up. Every cartridge and every component has an operating range for a reason. Why don't you call Hornady, Speer/RCBS, or Sierra and ask them? My 50 years of reloading says leave the experimenting to the people that know more than I do - the component and ammo manufacturers.

Just because diesel gas is gas doesn't mean you can run it without problems in your gas engine. My Optimax outboard recommends a certain type of 2 cycle oil at $35 a gallon. Now, I can use the much cheaper Wallie World TC3, but my engine life will be drastically reduced. I'm sure I can run my chain saw or weed eater without oil for a time, but they will eventually seize.

I'm always amazed by people that ask for advice and then rebuff every reply that's given. If you don't understand, or care, why manufacturers recommend certain components for certain applications, then blow yourself and your equipment up. Every cartridge and every component has an operating range for a reason. Why don't you call Hornady, Speer/RCBS, or Sierra and ask them? My 50 years of reloading says leave the experimenting to the people that know more than I do - the component and ammo manufacturers.

Just because diesel gas is gas doesn't mean you can run it without problems in your gas engine. My Optimax outboard recommends a certain type of 2 cycle oil at $35 a gallon. Now, I can use the much cheaper Wallie World TC3, but my engine life will be drastically reduced. I'm sure I can run my chain saw or weed eater without oil for a time, but they will eventually seize.
First: read the thread before posting.

Second: I suspect you would learn more if you opened your mind to honest questions - after all, asking questions is a good thing right?

totaldla said:
Minor correction: The pin does nothing other than keep the firing pin from falling out when the bolt carrier accelerates forward. The FP has a shoulder that limits forward travel. The maximum FP protrusion is machined into bolt carrier and firing pin length dimensions.
Yeah, you're right. I should have messed with it more with the pin out. I'll correct my post. Thanks.
totaldla said:
I've now stared at the AR15 lockup more than anytime in the past
You and me both. :)

While rifle primers are perfectly safe to use in some small pistol applications, I would never try to use a small pistol primer is a small rifle applications. Just what you need is a bunch of hot gas jetting back at you through the firing pin hole!

Back