Small game rifle recommendation

That's a complicated question and answer.

For me, the answer is: Just buy the 77/22, and stick with .22 LR (if that's what you want, and you can find one).

But, for some people, the allure of loading reduced loads in .223 Rem would be enough to justify a used M77 or M77 Hawkeye in .223 Rem.

I've messed with a lot of reduced loads and substantially-reduced loads, and they're almost never as predictable as one would like. The farther you get from the cartridge's 'happy place', the more unpredictable the loads become.

If I want .22 LR performance, I'm going to use .22 LR.
If I want .22 WMR performance, I'm going to use .22 WMR.
And if I want more, then I can step up to .223 Rem.

That being said....
If you really want a .22 caliber cartridge that can provide decent centerfire performance, but also be cheaply loaded to lighter levels without much compromise, then I suggest looking into .22 Hornet.
...Which just happens to also have been chambered in the 77/22 series, as the 77/22H (standing for "77/22 Hornet", of course).

Having a hard time even finding a 77/22. Atleast locally, I read an article, I'll post the name of it later when I find the magazine, where the author worked up loads for squirrel hunting for his AR and bolt .223.

Why not a Ruger American Rimfire .22LR?

I couldn't find a 77/22 that I could afford and ended up with the RAR. I ditched the plastic stock for a Boyds. It looks good and shoots even better.

The Ruger 77 model is scarcer than rubber woodpecker lips since Ruger discontinued the line. The Ruger American is a sweet shooting rifle, economically priced and has a great trigger. If you need more heft to it, add a Boyd's laminate stock to it for around $100.00. I have two Americans, a .22LR and a .17 HRM. I love them both. The .17 is a bit more accurate than the .22 version.

If you really want a heavy 22 then the Savage Target 22s are the way to go.

Price is reasonable, Savage has good barrels. Nice wood stocks if you like them (and I do, partial to the Thumb Hole Laminates)

Next in line if you are ok with light field is the CZ 452 (used now) or 455. At least the 452 shot everything pretty good and the good stuff very well.

Its not heavy though. . For that you need a heavy stock and barrel and the Savage provides that. You can go Anschutz and the like but they are really pricy.

The retail price of a rifle has nothing to do with quality. Wally World gets to sell stuff "cheap" because they buy by the train load.
Anyway, look into a heavy barrel Savage Mk II. They do a bunch of 'em in SS and not with wood or laminate stocks for less than or roughly the same money as a CZ 455.
The Ruger 77/22 is apparently discontinued. Not listed on their site. You'll be looking at 'new, old stock'. They're making an American Rimfire though.

The ruger American I don't like the bolt handle. That marlin 25, a buddy has one and it's nice but a bit light. I'll pay the asking price for a 77/22 or an m77 .223, but those anschutz are crazy... $1500 then glass and finding a load it likes is a bit steep for a rimfire for me at this point. I've thrown out the magazine so I can't reference the article. I really like how the 77/22 has an overall look of a "real rifle" a typical bolt and bolt handle and an overall beefiness. Every ruger I've owned has been a beefy gun, and I love the heft of them. Might get my stepson one of those marlin 25s, for the price of a used one you can't beat em.

Marlin M25s are simple and generally plenty accurate.

But they don't have much weight to them. If HALL wants weight, the M25 would need to have some additions made. (Weights in the stock, replacing the stock with a Boyd's laminate, etc.)

Your favorite 30-30 loaded with cast bullets is a great small game rifle

I shoot 118 gr bullets over 5 grs of clays or Bullseye. Cheaper than buying .22 RF.

I have also been looking for a new .22 or .22 mag
Currently I have a savage mk II BV and it's a great shooter. I can manage groups at and under an inch out to 75 yds.
It's just not a gun you want to walk around with. Mines aa bit hefty

.22 mag would be a bolt gun but I like the cz 512 for a .22lr

I hope the OP handles some of the CZ bolt action rimfire rifles to help decide. These rifles in either American or Varmint have the feel of full size rifles. The Varmint is very nice on the bench with out going to extremes of a true bench gun. I think they are a better value than the now-discontinued M77. I believe CZ was the reason Ruger dropped the M77. That is too bad, I like the idea of a mini rifle in Hornet, 357 and 44 mag.

If you can find a 452, those were a better CZ. But the 455 still gets my vote ovr the Marlins and Savages. The Ruger American is a well designed gun, but they dont have the big gun feel.

I have a 223 in a CZ527 and that is a great classic Mauser. I dont reload for that. I do reload but for me the 223 would be a waste of time. Life is too short.

I like hunting with 22mag and I dont feel need for hearing protection. My CZ 452 varmint will shoot honest 1 inch 5 shot groups with CCI Vmax at 100 yards. it has a real advantage in range and power over the 22LR.

Back