Small and fast or fat and slow

I always go with at least the mid weight for the caliber and usually go heavy for caliber (147 for 9mm, 158 or better for .357/38, 230 for .45). When comparing calibers? I don't get into caliber wars but I am in the camp that believes 45acp has "oomph" that 9mm doesn't in a SD or hunting incapacitation scenario. It isn't much more, and I don't think it outweighs the capacity advantage of the 9mm, but it is there.

My caliber carried is usually 9mm when U/C, 45 when going into known risk duties.

I could not care less... as long as the 9mm / .38 / .357 /.40 .45 expands to 0.45" (0.5" for 45ACP) or greater and penetrates approximately 14 - 18" of calibrated ballistic gelatin.

I generally carry a .38 Special, so I'd have to go moderate size and moderate speed.

What I care about is bullet penetration first and bullet expansion second.

That's why I carry Speer 135-gr. +P Gold Dots in my .38s.

Excellent penetration, excellent expansion.

After many years of carrying a 1911, I started carrying a .357 Sig instead. It's a hard hitting, flat shooting round with low recoil.

Small and fast or fat and slow
Just wondering if YOU prefer a really fast but light round to a heavy slow round for personal defense? The example I have in mind, if you have a better caliber example, please share, is a 125 grain. 357 Magnum to a 158 grain. 357 Magnum.

Thank you

Speaking in general, regarding the common defensive/service calibers?

Sure. Either/or.

It does kind of depend on the mission-specific circumstances, though, including anticipating some different conditions and potential influences that may need to be addressed.

In your specific example of the .357 Magnum, for common defensive/service usage I've long favored middleweight bullets, meaning 125-145gr. The light 110gr, and heavier 158/180gr, options offer some characteristics that may be less advantageous, in some ways. (Such as reduced or excessive penetration, for example, and different muzzle blast & controllability, etc.)

Then again, some revolver shooters find themselves more affected by muzzle blast and recoil/controllability issues than others, and while this can be affected by bullet weight, it can also be affected by loads and power levels commonly used for different bullet weights.

I tend to usually prefer:
180gr for .40 S&W
124gr-147gr for 9mm
230gr for .45ACP
125-135gr for .38 Spl
85-102gr for .380 ACP

When it comes to the .44 Mag/.45 Colt, I tend to consider what I envision needing to do with the bigger revolvers, or what sort of range session/enjoyment I'd like to experience, and select my loads accordingly. ;)

I've been carrying 45 ACPs for so long it seems silly to go with someone's latest and greatest new thing at this point. Oh, and get off my lawn too! (smile)

Dave

We all forgot to ask this question. What are you shooting with?? Is it a 357 4" or 6" or 8" or is it a snub??

That would help narrow in some responses we could better advise you.

Big and fast is the best. Obviously, those calibers don't always work for everyone.
In 357mag I prefer Underwood 158gr. Fast and fairly heavy.
And when you need truly heavy. The 480ruger has it covered.

If it's snub, I'll use Speer GoldDot 125 JHP 357 mag ammo.

If it's a 4" plus 357 mag, I'll use a 135 gr JHP or 158 grain JHP by Hornady.

In the case of my answer, it didn't matter. I'll use the same loads whether it's 2" - 6" ... unless it's going to be dedicated for a thicker skinned dangerous/feral animal, and then I'll change over to a heavier load.

For smaller animals like feral dogs, coyotes or mountain lions? Same middleweight loads I use for human threats.

I prefer fat and fast. My favorites are hot 180grn 10mm at about 1500fps and 200grn 45 Super at 1300+fps; both in a 6" slide and barrel semi-auto pistol. The 6" barrel and slide gives me performance and a longer sight radius. The best of both worlds.

Small just doesn't get it for me whether it be small and fast or small and faster, it's still small.

On handguns I usually like fat and slow (I assume fat means heavy in this context?), depends on what you're looking for though.
On rifles I'll go for velocity usually.

I prefer 147gr on 9mm which is what the vast majority of my hand guns are chambered in.

I will admit I do someday want to get a Taurus PT 101 (.40S&W) and convert to .357sig and put a Burris red dot on it.
But Taurus discontinued it a couple years ago. :/

Faster the bullet is moving the flatter it's going to shoot.. on a handgun it's not a big deal but on a rifle why not go fast as you can? you're probably well above the sound barrier (mach2, or 3) anyway so why not pile on a couple more 100 fps.

Last edited:
9mm: 147 HST normal or +p
40: 180 HST
45: 230 HST normal or +p
357 SIG: 125 Gold Dot or HST
10mm: 200 Grain Hard Cast
45 Colt: 250 Grain Hard Cast

and so on.....

For handguns, I prefer fast and light, but .45 Colt (both standard and Ruger only) is the sole exception.

Less recoil is king in handguns, which is why I've recently been turned on to the .32 caliber. The .327 blows me away with how versatile it is, less recoil than a .357, yet still very powerful and can go to mouse fart power with .32 Long.

.40 S&W in 135 or 155 is super fast and still more effective than any of the 9mm or 9mm +P loads, but has controllable recoil and in a 9mm sized pistol is great.

.45 ACP just doesn't excite me like any other semi auto pistol round does. To me, it's been usurped by newer cartridges like 10mm, .40, and .357 Sig. If you give me the option and say, "You have to hike 500 miles in Alaska through known Grizzly territory, which would you want: 10mm or .45 ACP?" I'm taking 10mm. If you tell me I have to commute to work by walking in the middle of an inner city ghetto and my choice is .40 or .45, I'm taking .40 S&W for the capacity and the lesser penetration, but still good expansion.

The 40 S&W is a good self defense round. I believe it is on par with the 45ACP. The 40S&W was designed as a 10mm with more easily controlled recoil. You may not be able to stop a car with it but you can certainly stop the driver.

Back