Small .25 auto?

John G

What's a decent .25 auto? I've looked into Taurus and Beretta, both look good. Taurus is priced better. I'm interested in reliability and compactness. Thanks.

Brace yourself for a flurry of "Kel-Tec P32!" replies.

You asked for a .25: the best of the breed is the Beretta 950BS "Jetfire". It's been around for a few decades, and it's probably the most reliable .25 on the market. It's also very small and light, and it looks stylish. Mine has been flawless so far, and I carry it in a pocket holster along with my car keys. It's nice to be able to have a hand on the gun when you're walking to the car in a dark parking lot. I recommend the Jetfire highly, it's the best choice in .25 autos, IMHO. It's a single action, which is one of the reasons it is so compact.

small .25 auto?

i had a couple barettas i liked but would jam out on me at times.my little raven i like as it doesnt jam up.the saftey tho i did have to open the detent holes a touch up and take the nubs on the flip side off so it would sit flush and give me a positive klik when engaeged either way.2000 rds later still no jams and still getting 3 inch groups at 12-13 yards.i cant complain about it much at all.....

Don't even do it. If you insist, skip the .25 auto and just get a .22LR. I can't imagine what yoou'd shoot with it.

The .25 Browning was called the Baby Browning, right? I'm surprised noone's mentioned them yet... they're normally very popular around TFL.

I just learned today from talking with my Father that my Step-Grandfather bought one about 15 years ago for $80... now, noone can figure out where it is. (He passed away a couple of years ago). Now that I know what it was, I'm REALLY interested in finding out where it ended up!

John G

Lendringser is right about the Jetfire. I have the stainless model and I've never had a malfunction. I was reading an article (don't remember where, could have been at the barber shop), where the writer said that he had never seen a Jetfire fail to function. I practice with Fiocchi ball. I carry them sometimes, too. (Hot little numbers!) But mostly I carry mine with the "hard to find" Hornady XTP hollow points. Sometimes I even put .25ACP Magsfes in the magazine. Shoot a watermellon with one of those and you'll be a believer!

Kentucky Rifle

John G,
My opinion varies greatly from tuc22 in that the .25 is a MUCH more reliable round. I too have a Beretta Jetfire .25ACP that's been totally reliable.... even with hollowpoints. You'll have more extraction and duds with the 22 though. Please remember that when you purchase. Do a search here for "Beretta Jetfire" and you should get plenty of hits. I recommend Hornady XTP's.

Ben

Good luck finding a TPH in .25!

For a decent price, anyway. NICE gun, though.

I have to agree on the Beretta 950 BS/Jetfire. The tip-up bbl and sear-blocking safeties are nice features, it doesn't weigh much, and it works very well.

I agree that the .25 acp (in my experience) is a much more reliable round. Sure is pricy, though, compared to the .22 lr. The reliability was the reason I carried a .25 over a .22. I don't mess with little calibers anymore, but since you're looking for a compact and reliable auto, I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat the 950.

(My father-in-law's got mine nowadays. It's still mine, but he likes it and I feel totally comfortable with the idea that it will work to take care of him if necessary.)

Another vote for the 950 BS!!
I've had mine for 2 years and a bit and it goes nearly every where with me, even when I'm wearing the 1911A1.
The only problem I ever had was the stock magazine feed lips were too long, which caused failures to feed. I bought 2 MecGar mags and reshaped the stock mag to match them, PERFECT feed and function ever since. In good light I can hit a one pound coffee can at 50 feet, in less than good light the sights are basicly invisible. Sights really aren't important though, when the proper tactic is to try to hit the brain thru the eye sockets or the ear hole at muzzle contact ranges.
The little popgun is fun to shoot, stick with the .25 for ammo reliability unless you want to buy a matching pair. The .22 for cheap practice and the .25 for carry. Just remember that it's not very much gun, but much better than your bare hands.

Don in Ohio

The Walther TPH is well beyond decent. Seecamps are available in .25 as well. IMO, the best on the market for the money is an Astra Firecat. An improved version of the Colt 1908 Vest Pocket and FN pistols, banned from importation in 1968, can be found for under $200 in LNIB condition. It has a grip safety so can be carried in a pocket holster with a round in the chamber and the slide sits up high enough out of the hand that there is no chance or your hand developing racing stripes.

I have to cast another vote for the Jetfire. If you do a search you'll see that I recently purchased a stainless Jetfire. After a very negative experience with 22 rimfire I hoped the 25 might be more reliable. I've now got 150 rounds through my jetfire without a single malfunction of any kind. I've been shooting cheap practice ammo. I gotta say I really like this gun. I carry it in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster. The Jetfire is light and extremely easy to carry in a pocket. I highly recommend this model.

Budischowsky TP-70...

...an unknown and IMHO, finest .25acp ever made. Stainless steel. Built like a Swiss Watch. Expensive. I paid $300 NIB for mine but the book says up to $400 for NIB. Manual says sights are zero'd at 15yards. They're right. Dead on accurate at up to 25yards. Biggest problem? It's a .25acp!

Want a pocket pistol? Get a Kel-Tec P-32 (most people's choice), or NAA Guardian (my choice. I like stainless steel contruction). Far superior to a .25acp as a self defense weapon with a far greater ammo selection.

Browning/FN/Colt M1906 pattern pistols are available for around $200 at most gun shows. The last two I bought had flawless bores and most of the blueing left (just a bit worn off around the muzzle, etc.)

These are made with real old-time quality and care, Lord only knows what a pistol made in this manner would cost today. They are accurate and reliable and just the right size to slip into a pocket as you walk out the door.

I carry a 1920 Haenel in .25ACP when the occasion warrants. Beautifully made, it fits my hand a bit better than the Browning/FN/Colt pistols.

Older Walthers (Models 2, 5, 9 and TPH) are a bit harder to find but worth the effort.

Here's a fun web page for these old pocket heaters:

http://members.magnet.at/g.schoenbauer/

I like the Fiocchi FMJ ammo for carry - it's a hot little load with a penetrator bullet.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Man! I had no idea...

that there were so many of us TFLer's that own and think so highly of our Jetfires! I purchased mine on a whim because it was such a nice looking little pocket pistol.

Ben: I went to the Louisville Gun Show last weekend to purchase some more Hornady XTP's in .25ACP. Not a box in sight! Any thoughts on why the XTP's are getting hard to find?

Kentucky Rifle

No idea why they're tough to find. I know of two places that usually have a box or two. I semi-recently went to Adventure Outdoors, and they had the same two boxes that were there about 2-3 months earlier. Same lot number and everything. That one lot (number 00111) gave me a low powered round and the hp's weren't very semetric... so I turned them down. I told the guy behind the counter that there was a weak round in my last batch from this lot and he just shrugged... didn't seem to care.

Hornady seems to be the only one to make a high-quality round in this caliber, I just wish I could find a newer batch. I think you can order directly from their website if you're interested.

Ben

Thanks guys

Thanks for all the help fellas. I'm a huge Browning fan, but would collect a Baby before carrying it daily. Beretta looks like the choice, or maybe the cheaper Taurus version.

CZ Duo, Astra Cub, Baby Browning

I've got a pitted, beat up CZ Duo that I've been carrying for about a year now. Love it. It's a Colt 1908 pattern but there are subtle differences such as the lack of a grip safety. I cannot activate the grip safety with my big hands so the CZ works fine. Hard to find, but worth it. I'd definitely trust the Jetfire, but I think it's a little bigger than it has to be. You can find PSP or Bauer's which are Baby Browning copies. A quick search netted these auctions:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=1085309
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=1090499

Beretta Model 21A, a traditional DA/SA gun that can be carried in a pocket, hammer down with the safety disengaged. It comes in .25 or .22 l.r. They weigh about 12 oz.with an empty magazine. I actually prefer the .22. It can spit out Stingers all day long, and you can easily empty the magazine into the head of an IPSC target at 4 yards in about 2 seconds plus or minus. The .25 is slower due to recoil, although you get 8 rounds instead of 7. Some people claim better feeding/reliability with the .25. I have not had any problems with the .22, and you can afford to practice a lot to make sure it works and to stay proficient. They sell for under $200 in either flavor, last time I saw one.

Back