Slugs: 10 gauge vs 12 Gauge?

Glamdring

Can anyone provide reports on difference between 10 & 12 gauge slugs in jello or on game [or Goblins]?

Is penetration any different between the two?

I was searching a few days ago, and only found 10 ga slugs in Federal. 1 3/4 oz, but only about 1200 fps, IIRC. I would expect deeper penetration than from a similar Foster-type 12 ga slug.

No need for 10 gauge slugs

There is no need for 10 gauge slugs unless you want to tear apart a vehicle.

I used to use 3-inch 12 gauge slugs while deer hunting and found it to be overkill. The 1.25 ounce Foster style Federal Classic would blow through both sides of the deer and kick like a mule.

About five years ago, I put a Hastings Paradox 24-inch fully rifled barrel on my 870 Wingmaster with a cantilever scope. I now use 2 3/4 Federal Barnes Expanders with excellent results. I wrote an outdoors article for The Sioux City Journal newspaper in Iowa and put two of them in the same hole on targed at 50 yards. They shoot sub 3-inch groups at 100 yards a few inches low the way I have it sighted.

The Copper Solid by Remington is also an awesome slug, but it does not work in Hastings barrels. Both copper slugs offer massive, controlled expansion on deer.

Stick with 12 gauge standard slugs. They are all you need. Nothing hits harder within 30 yards.

HerrJaegermeister: When hunting Bambi caliber isn't very important. But for bigger game it can matter.

Spectre: I would think 10 gauge would penetrate more than a 12 also if using similar style slugs.

I don't think slugs would be the best choice for a charging Ford :D

Pansies

I want one of those Russian 8-gauge shotguns they issue to their Dept. of the Interior troops. Heh. I mean, I'm so tough, a dislocated shoulder doesn't make me flinch in the least. Riiiight... :D LOL

FWIW, I think Winchester sells 10 gauge ceramic slugs for cleaning the interior of boilers and powerplants. Wouldn't want to get shot with one of those. Ooph, that would hurt.

In power plants, blast furnaces, or other large hot chambers that are used to produce heat/energy on a mass scale there are deposits that build up on the wall due to incomplete combustion or deposits of the waste of combustion. For instance, think of a house chimney with soot or whatever building up in it, easy to visualize right? But in the power plant, steel mill or whatever; the size of the combustion chamber might be the size of a small house. So, it's big and it is going 24/7 a week and year. It is not possible to clean it out because anything (or any person) put in there is going to burn up. So engineers came up with a window and aimable scattergun to blast the deposit off of the opposite walls of the combustion chamber. A ceramic slug would knock off soot/coal deposits but disintegrate against the metal sides of the boiler. The dust would go up and out the chimney. Viola!

I understand your scepticism. When I first came across the product (10 ga ceramic slugs) about 3 or less years ago I was agape with the HD potential. I am sure Winchester still sells the product but it is now on the QT. Otherwise nutcase gangbangers and WAR types would stock up because it would be a much too tempting a lethal shell to be available for urban circulation.

I doubt there's a critter in North America that a 12 ga slug, properly inserted, wouldn't stop. Capstick wrote of using Brennekes on Cape Buffalo, so maybe there's no real advantage in going to a larger gauge.

Maybe the term,"Wretched Excess" applies.

And, there are larger gauges. Winchester still markets an 8 ga slug for kiln guns. That's right, 8 ga.

I wonder why no one has ever developed a slug load for the MM 79 grenade launcher,after all they have buck loads, grenades, Willy Pete,flares,etc.

Ersatz M-79 slug, or That's Gotta Hurt

A colleague of mine was in Vietnam. He was at the dentist one day when the word came through to clear out the building. They brought in an enemy guy with an unexploded M-79 grenade lodged in his jaw. Seems he was shot at such close range the grenade hadn't had time to arm itself.

IIRC a 12 gauge rifle was considered a light buffalo elephant gun sort of a 375 if you will. While 8 gauge was standard, say 416/458...and the 4 bore was akin to the 577.

Does anyone recall where Capstick mentions 12 gauge and buffalo?

Death in the long grass?

I recall he said he wanted to try one of the saboted 12 GA slugs. He also believe he wanted to try one of the 10 ga' ers.

-----------
I had a dream I was in school
reading your autograph
pages of green in seventh grade
now like an epitaph
SM

Hey go easy on Glamdring, if I remember correctly he was the poster who sent a Remington 870 Super Magnum (3.5" 12 gauge) to Vang Comp to be reworked into a defense gun. You gotta like someone who wants to make sure the goblins are REALLY dead when they get hit. :D

Justin

And someone else was considering a 10ga for
home defense. Hey, the rule is, use as much gun
as you can handle, right? So why not? With a Vang
barrel and some training, I doubt that different
ammo strength will make much difference on followup
shot times between a 20ga and a 10ga.

Nope, wasn't me that had a rem 3.5" 12 gauge.
I don't like comps or porting.

I have had threads about using 35 or 458 rifles for dealing with goblins though [It isn't "overkill", rather it is being "certain"].

I still think Speer's 400 SP for the 45-70 out of a 10 to 11 lbs 458 Lott at about 2000fps would be rather effective and as easy to control as a 12 guage.

Dave: Maybe they don't need a slug load for the 40mm? Perhaps they have never had failure to stop with any of the loads. Would think the OSS would be VERY high with most any load out of a grenade launcher :D

Leessee,Glamdring, say a 6 oz slug from a MM79 at 2000 FPS? It oughta be a good stopper with hollow points(G)

10ga slugs are brutal!! I know that the Federal 10ga 1.75oz(768grain) slugs kick HARD!!! Not to mention they DO indeed punch through alot of stuff that Federal 12ga 1oz MAX slugs will not. About the best test I have done with 12ga vs 10ga slug is a 1/4"(?) steel plate @ 50yards hang from a 2x4. The 12ga slugs just left alittle mark on it. The 10ga slugs bent it/dented it. If you do like pain though I would go for 10ga slugs!!! (12ga 1.25oz Mag slugs dont bother me, but damn do those 1.75oz 10ga slugs)

So has anyone used 10 gauge slug(s) on a live target?

Perhaps someone should write to Marshall & Sanow and ask them to start a file on the OSS % for the M-79/M203 :D

Back