Slow Cooker recipe for vension back straps?

Originally posted by alex0535:

I couldn't imagine slow cooking back strap. If you think that it's tough I think you are probably just cooking it too much.

I don't use a crock-pot because my backstraps are tough, I use it cause it's easy and makes for a great roast. I don't consider a good roast a waste of good steak, and I generally prefer a good roast to a good steak. Only way I know to make excellent venison backstrap for a 12-20 folks at one time other than on the grill. I also use a crock-pot for whole Pork loins and chicken breasts for the same reason. 5 minutes in the morning to throw it all in and it's ready to eat when you get home by supper time, with plenty of leftovers for the next day. Funny how a crock-pot is a sin but all the marinades, smoking, wrapping in foil, soaking in buttermilk and drenching it in butter, onions and mushrooms and the time it takes to do this is the cat's backside.

I've roasted backstaps like a pot past, too. Regular style with carrots and potatoes. Also I've split them, filled them with a mixture of Jalapenos and cream cheese and roll them up like a jelly roll. Wrapped the whole loin in bacon and oven roasted on a bed of yellow rice and rotel. The heart burn kills me, but it's soooo good. I've also done the cream cheese and jalapeno thing and grilled them wrapped in bacon like fillets.

have to agree with the consensus here that backstraps in a crockpot are a big waste of some really nice meat, save it for your tougher cuts. Whether pan fried or on the grill, cook them at high heat until med rare or medium at the most and enjoy. One mistake thats often made is cooking the backstraps right away off of a kill, rather than aging them and eating later.

Back