SKS..Which One

Pitts Spcl

Inactive
I have a Russian that I bought in the mid 90's and I'm thinking of getting another SKS.

Which would be a better choice:

A Romanian or a Yugo 59/66?

I know about the chromed vs not chromed barrels.

The Romanian seems to be identical to the Russian.

Kind of leaning toward the Yugo. Don't ~need~ a grenade launcher but I like the extra features.

out of curiosity, why are you discounting a norinco?

the are arguably the best shooters, are available in a wide range of configurations, and are inexpensive

Hmm. Had not really thought about a Norinco. Most are not C&R eligible, right?
I've mostly been watching the online dealer's offerings and only the Romanian and Yugo models are available.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I love my Yugo, grenade launcher and all, but some people don't like it. Bone stock, no exceptions. :cool:

Lemme edit my reply: If you don't like the grenade launcher, don't get the Yugo, beats taking a hacksaw to it IMO, that and the Yugo does not have a chrome-lined barrel, that might influence your decision.

Last edited:
i bought a m59/66 for about $170 6 months ago from a friend and i love it. i took off the grenade launcher and put a AR-15 flash suppressor on. kind of pointless because they have no flash to begin with but it looks cool :). for the money and the looks i would buy a romanian but i prety much stole my yugo so if you can find one for cheep eather are verry well built rifles.

I have a Yugo and I love it. I like the looks of it over the others. Some say the Yugo's are more accurate due to having a longer barrel and the barrel not being chrome lined. Others will say they see no difference between the different models. The Yugo's are more available at the moment. You will pay more for the others.

Correct, the majority were newly manufactured for U.S. commercial sale. Norinco also marketed SKS variants that never existed in true military form (the ones with folding stocks and detachable mags).
I've mostly been watching the online dealer's offerings and only the Romanian and Yugo models are available.
Like any milsurp, this is because that's what the importers have brought in recently. Check gun shows and dealers who specialize in surplus. Norincos are not hard to find because so many were sold. Russian and other genuine milsurp SKS variants regularly show up in my area.

Yugos are alot more common than the Romanians, I think. Therefore more chance to gain in value even if you toss it in the closet and forget to shoot it. I am sure you have noticed your Russian value go up. Yugos tend to have problems with the gas valves etc. that don't occur in others, sometimes have damage to the unplated bores from yugo corrosive ammo and are fine shooters if the problems don't occur in a given specimen. But they do have that heavy useless extra crap on the end of the barrel to contend with. More work to remove than the useless bayonets. Of course you save the stuff you take off to maintain resale? Chinese examples vary from excellent quality older specimens to rough looking late commercial imports from secondary makers. They can and do shoot fine though. Just some rough version of the Chinese may not increase in value much but would be fine to keep in a truck or something.

A++++ for the Norinco - chrome lined barrel.

Mine has a fantastic blueing job. (if that's the correct spelling..lol)

I have a Russian that I bought in the mid 90's and I'm thinking of getting another SKS.

I have a Russian and Yugo – they go together well. My Yugo’s been flawless.

I know about the chromed vs not chromed barrels.

Then you know it’s not an issue; get the Yugo, you’ll love it.

Love the SKS

I've had three over the years, 2 ruskies, and a Norinco. I think I'm gonna do the T-6 Tapco stock on the Norinco, and a thirty rounder. Still have one of my Ruskies, paid 89 bucks for it, back in the not so long ago day. Wish I had of put 20 in the safe that day, even back then 89 was a great price.

Can't beat a SKS for slingin cheap lead down range. The penetration of those old steel core rounds was amazing. And if you found a spent bullet, it looked reloadable:)

Been buying and trading SKS's since they first first became generally available, always been a fun little rifle.

Pitts Spcl said:

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I know it's an older thread, but there are no Chinese SKS that are C&R eligible.

I use my Norinco as my plinker/future bubba. I'm looking at getting a Yugo, and just putting it in the display case.

galahad said:
The BATFE has responded to my request for information relative to the C&R status of the Chinese SKS. The bottom line is that there is no PROOF that any given rifle is over 50 years old, basically because the Chinese government has not released production data.

I'm considering writing to the Chinese Embassy in Washington to see if they will release the numbers. Since they are no longer manufacturing them it would seem to be in their best interests to make it easier for Americans to deal in them and it would kind of be a gentle nudge to the Bush Administration to encourage the BATFE to declare ALL the Chinese SKS's C&R.

Letters below. The action is pretty much all they can do unless Bush indicates that he is amiable to the BATFE declaring all of them C&R.

[Sorry for the miserable copies. I'll try to improve them.]

ATFPage1.jpg

ATFPage2.jpg

i have a yugo and would never own a norinco i have friens that have them and noyhing but problems. i like it the way it is i took the stock of sanded it a bit bleached it,stained it then sealed it.

Attachments

• 132.JPG
    132.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 47
norinco i have friens that have them and noyhing but problems.

I have had mine since the late 80's and not one single problem. Best part about the Noricos, don’t have the god-awful grenade lunch on them. Best part about the Norinco, they don’t have the grenade launcher.

yosemitesamaz said:
i have a yugo and would never own a norinco i have friens that have them and noyhing but problems. i like it the way it is i took the stock of sanded it a bit bleached it,stained it then sealed it.

i dont believe you i think you dont know what ur talking about and have never shot a norinco or even seen of one shot by someone that had problems with it cuz they are great rifles and shoot reel good but the yugos are notorious for problems with their gas systems and even if you keep it clean to protect the bore there is no way you can know if the guy that had it before you ever cleaned it or how much it was shot by some guy with no time or inclination to perform maintenence and besides all yugo ammo is highly corrosive and has always been corrosive which means that ur sure to have corrosion problems if you shoot yugo ammo in a yugo rifle and dont do a detailed cleaning with a water based solvent.

Yes, I am making fun of you. Here is some extra punctuation and capital letters for you to use in your next post:

I I I I I I I I,,,.,.,,.;(),.

Here's a translation:
I dont believe you. I think you don't know what you are talking about and have never shot a Norinco or even seen of one shot by someone that had such severe problems with it; they are great rifles and shoot great.

Yugos are notorious for problems with their gas systems. Even if YOU keep it clean to protect the bore, there is no way you can know if the guy that had it before you ever cleaned it or how much it was shot by some guy with no time or inclination to perform maintenence. Besides, all yugo ammo is highly corrosive and has always been corrosive.

This means that you are sure to have corrosion problems if you shoot yugo ammo in a yugo rifle and don't do a detailed cleaning with a water based solvent.

Last edited:
[ed.] ISCs post was so hard to read I did not finish it the first time through, noticed he was making the same point as I, so I deleted mine. I really dislike posts so poorly written I have to concentrate and re-read to understand.
I have a Norinco that shoots really well. I have never heard complaints about any Norinco gun that exceed the norm for any manufacturer or model. Mistakes do happen. They are relatively inexpensive and a lot of fun. The only place my Norinco is not on par with my Yugo is it's stock. I think the domestic manufacturers supporting the import bans is one of the times they sold us out and just crapped in our face. The Yugo stock is much better looking.

Last edited:
Back