SKS for deer?

Dint read all the posts but did git the general drift ....

... coupla things ...

More people have been killed with a .22LR than any other cartridge. Too, more deer have been killed with the .30-30 - not much to argue there.

In any event, a very main reason to each is that both are the most employed for any given scenario. Doesn't mean that either is the BEST man-killer or deer-killer. It's just the way way of statitics - the more use, the more kills - all-in-all.

No flames or zip for anything argumentative. A deer can be killed with any cartridge. So can a man. But, there's better choices.

A person would hopefully use a cartridge that is MORE suitable for any given task than one that is handy.

May be that a 7.62X39 is a pretty good deer cartridge & I wouldn't argue the point - I think the round itself is up to it given certain range limitations AND firearm platform (a big arguing point).

It's doubtful to me that rapid second shot really comes into
play often enough to warrant a "fast shooter" when, if the first shot is placed accordingly with a suitable bullet, the hunt is over.

If you want to use an SKS, do so, but please, do become familiar enough that the "extra 20 rounds" isn't the reason to use it. A single shot 7.62X39 really is all you should need.

For all the game I've ever taken, I would say that in only <10% did I ever require a second/follow-up shot.

I guess a very long-winded comment on "cartridge selection and bullet placement" brings home more game than does any rapid-fire anything.

Thanks for the input guy's. This thread is really old and I have already bought a NEF 12gauge from Walmart for $78.I haven't had a chance to hunt with it yet but have spent alot of time with it at the range.Tahnks for the welcome ronin308.

Although this subjuct seems beat to death, I have one more thing to add that I have not seen mentioned in any of the other posts; in TX any rifle used for hunting is limited to five rounds. The SKS mag would have to be modified in order to take in the field for hunting purposes. This is not a big deal, but just a reminder to check all local laws B4 you head out with a rifle designed for military purposes and not for the hunting sports. FWIW!

"Loaded with" and "capable of" are not the same thing. One can, however, cheaply and fairly easily install a 5-round "almost flush" mag in an SKS.

I highly respect Art's opinion. I do have an SKS, and think it's okay but not optimal as a deer gun. To me, the sights are the big challenge: maybe a Williams sight might work better for you. I personally think an SKS- I plan on having my 16" bled one Teflon coated, trigger jobbed, and "upsighted"- probably makes a better "truck gun" than dedicated deer rifle. Fine for keeping handy around the camp, not the best option for serious deer work. My current fav deer gun is an extremely accurate Marlin 1895G with a 1.5-5 optic, but I also may give my newly customized bolt-action 12 GA a workout, especially around dusk. (Last year, I coulda probably had at least two hogs if I'd had said shotgun just after dusk- legal in GA.)

With good softpoint ammo, the 7.62x39 round is certainly adequate for deer. I've successfully used a .357 revolver, and the 7.62x39 beats that by quite a margin. If it's legal where you're hunting and you shoot it well, go ahead and use that SKS.

Stop and think a minute, folks - people have been killing big game with bows and arrows for thousands of years. Some are still doing it today. If what basically amounts to a pointy stick works, how can a well-placed shot from an SKS NOT work?

Just remember this mantra, no matter what you hunt with: SHOT PLACEMENT - SHOT PLACEMENT - SHOT PLACEMENT.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Cris:Although this subjuct seems beat to death, I have one more thing to add that I have not seen mentioned in any of the other posts; in TX any rifle used for hunting is limited to five rounds. The SKS mag would have to be modified in order to take in the field for hunting purposes. This is not a big deal, but just a reminder to check all local laws B4 you head out with a rifle designed for military purposes and not for the hunting sports. FWIW!

Wrong Cris!!! Please do not give out false information. Below I have quoted the actually wording from the Texas 2000-2001 Hunting regulations book. I am also including a weblink to the online version.

Magazine Capacity (number of shell/cartridges allowed): Except for shotguns used for hunting migratory game birds (see Migratory Game Bird Digest), there are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting other game birds or game animals.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/regs/hunt_licns.htm

Kilgor

Back