Sitting still in the woods

OP, I'm very much like you in that it's really hard for me to sit still. I'm an undiagnosed adult ADHD type. However, I'm committed to hunting because I think it's important. So, here's what I've learned about how to stay still:

1. Get comfortable. Invest in a good treestand (with it's own back so you're not touching the tree at all) or other chair. It makes a HUGE difference.
2. Protect your fidgeting from view. I hang cloth over the shooting rail of my stand so I'm not visible from the chest down. This covers my hands and feet, which I struggle to keep still.
3. Stay warm. Being cold leads to motion, it's inevitable.
4. Entertain yourself. I listen to audiobooks with headphones, sometimes watch a show, or read a book. Take breaks often to look around slowly, but it's better to be still than to be hyper-vigilant. Most un-spooked deer move slowly through the woods, you have time.

Comfort and warmth . . .

As long as I'm comfortable and warm I can stay still for a looooooong time. In ground blind I have one of those foldable hammock chairs; very comfy. When I hunt the ground blind a thermos of coffee and a nice snack come along with me.

A couple of my stands are sort of like easy chairs in the sky, also comfy. A thermos comes along with me in those stands too. One of these stands has been there so long that it is well embedded in the tree.

Unfortunately my stand that sees the most action is small, no shooting rail and hard to stay comfy in. But it is on a hill side over a ravine. The deer are a long way below me and if I fidget around a bit it does not seem to keep them from coming in. I am also among the "read a kindle book on my phone crowd."

Life is good.
Prof Young

Back