single six shoots too high

I had the same problem with an Old Army and I replaced the front blade. That is not an option for the single six. The complete sight must be replaced. The single six/seven 32 (older 32H&R guns and new 327 guns) sight is taller and should fit this gun.

Once settled on the front sight, I would R&R again with red loktite.

I expect Ruger will give you the part for free. That has been my experience.

Last edited:
I have run into this several times with Ruger SAs. Front sights to low, with rear
run to end of adjustment. If your gun has screw on front ramp/ blade you can
fit ramp with dove tail on it and put what ever front height blade needed. I have
a 3screw SBH that I got new in early 60s. The idea of magnums at the time were
to shoot long distance. That meant groundhogs in Ohio, deer with pistol wasn't legal back then. Sighted for 75yds and was accurate. When Ohio got deer with
pistol I wanted to sight in for 30yds. Ran out of sight and the old 3screws have
fronts soldered on. I remember making fun of the front sight on a buddy's 44
Herters Power Mag. It looked out of place on a SA. Looking back it was probably
functional and not a accident that it stuck up like a fender on a 57 Dodge.

I'm hoping to get out again this weekend. My buddy is going to help me out with this. I want to make sure its not me.If it shoots high for him then I'm going to contact ruger about a taller front sight. Its held in place with a screw so it should be easy enough to replace. By the way great advice guys. I will report back.

Hey Guys
well my sight issue has been resolved. I went to the range today but my buddy couldn't make it. Again the single six was shooting high. One of the RO's walked by and I asked him to try it out. He confirmed it shot high and took a look at the sights. He asked me why I didnt adjust the rear sight further and I told him it was maxed. He said no it wasn't and took one of his screwdrivers and moved the sight further down. Looks like a burr or something else with either the screw or the hole was preventing the sight from further movement. After more torque he was able break what ever was preventing it from moving. I sighted her in after that and she shot point of aim. I was pleased but did feel a bit stupid but hey problem solved and I love the gun

Back