single six shoots too high

libiglou

I finally got to take my new 5.5 in 22 cal single six to the indoor range for sighting in. I started at 5 yards and right away was shooting 3 inches too high. After numerous adjustments and different ammo the best I could do was 1 to 1.5 inches too high with the rear sight maxed out. Anyone have any ideas on what to do next? By the way the gun was giving me some impressive groups with cci mini mags at 10-15 yards. Starting to really like this gun. I just need to get my elevation in check. Thanks

Remember this acronym, its always helpful for those moments when you are standing there going “what,which way do I move the sight?”
F.O.R.S. Front Opposite Rear Same

So, that being said, the first question, with all due respect, were you moving the sight the correct direction?
Definitely not a handling issue?
Are you sure the sight is adjusting? Ive had a couple sights spin and spin with no adjustment actually happening.

I bought a new Single-Six in 1987 and it did the very same thing. I wound up taking the rear sight OFF the pistol completely, and using the frame ears as a rear sight... and it still shot high. True story.

I should have sent it back to Ruger, instead I sold the thing off... for about what I paid for it. OP, if you want to keep it, I recommend sending it back to Ruger.

Screw the rear sight all the way down and go back to 25 yards and shoot if off a sandbag rest just resting your wrists on the bag. Shooting it at 5 yards and evaluating sight height is a waste of time. If you're still shooting high then send it back to Ruger or let a very experienced shooter try the gun. I doubt it's the gun. Might be, but I see this all the time (in a variety of guns, not just a Single Six) and so far, except one case, it's been the gun.

I tried it both ways. When the sight is all the way up it shoots high 3 inches or better, Bringing it all the way down improves it to approx 1 inch or so high. Tried it out to approx 20 yards same thing. I dont shoot any of my pistols at a target more than 20 yards. I just cant see the damn thing. I do have some play at the low end. If I press down on the sight it will move further down but the screw is maxed out. I was thinking of a slip ring washer between the screw and the sight but why do I need to jimmy rig this. Is there anything I can do to the front sight?

Starting to adjust for elevation at 5 yards is pointless.
Adjust for & at 25 yards, and then learn where your gun hits at closer distances where YOU adjust, not the Ruger.
Denis

Ummm, shooting high at 5 - 10 yards, means it will shoot higher yet at 25... So not a waste of time (group wise though ... I agree). I've done that many a time ... usually though I start at 15Y, and if off the paper move in to find out where it is shooting.

Back on topic, sounds like it needs a taller front sight if rear sight is all the way down. Mine has a screw on front sight, and if yours does it should be easy to change out.

I tried it both ways. When the sight is all the way up it shoots high 3 inches or better, Bringing it all the way down improves it to approx 1 inch or so high. Tried it out to approx 20 yards same thing. I dont shoot any of my pistols at a target more than 20 yards. I just cant see the damn thing. I do have some play at the low end. If I press down on the sight it will move further down but the screw is maxed out. I was thinking of a slip ring washer between the screw and the sight but why do I need to jimmy rig this. Is there anything I can do to the front sight?
This just doesn't sound right. There is no way you're moving the rear sight from all the way up to all the way down and it's only moving the POI 2". Something's wrong with the shooter in this case. When the screw is all the way down it will allow the sight to move a very, very small amount by pushing on the sight blade, but not enough to even talk about. You're asking for help but then go into denial if someone implies it might be the shooter. How many clicks will the sight move from all the way up to all the way down....count them and report back. You'll get your answer right there. If the sight is defective all Ruger has to do is send you a new sight. They don't need the gun if you have a sight that won't move the specified number of clicks. If the sight is moving the correct/specified amount of clicks and the POI isn't moving more than a couple of inches, it's you, not the gun.

[QUOTEUmmm, shooting high at 5 - 10 yards, means it will shoot higher yet at 25... So not a waste of time][/QUOTE]

He didn't say 5-10 yards, he said 5. Since the sights sit on top of the barrel and not underneath, shooting at 5 yards (or closer) will impact above the barrel. Take one of your own guns and put the rear sight all the way down and then go shoot it at 5 yards and see for yourself.

lots of good advice but its not my first rodeo. Ive done this before without a problem. I'm going to try again with some kind of rest. I did do this incrementally and POI went up and down depending on which direction I moved the sight.The measurements are estimates since I did not have a ruler but I know I was close My gut feeling is I'm going to have to get a taller front sight.

My gut feeling is I'm going to have to get a taller front sight.

Or, aim lower!! :D

Seriously, this is not entirely a snarky answer.
Since the standard distance pistols are normally sighted to is 25 yards, it is entirely possible that the standard sights simply do not have the vertical adjustment to zero the gun at 15 FEET.

If this is the case, it is not a failure or a design flaw. It is simply trying to use the gun outside of the range of capabilities for which it was made.

One thing you ought to do is ensure that its the gun, and not you. Have someone else (or a few someones) shoot the gun, and see what their results are. Everyone looks through the sights a little differently.

6 O'clock hold, faster bullets, taller front sight, adjust the rear sight down more, tighter grip, all could work. It definitely sounds odd that the POI only changes 2" going from max to minimum. Having someone else or multiple people try it will give you additional data points that could be useful.

Ruger has different heights of rear sight blades. I had to get a lower one for a .44 Mag, Super Blackhawk many years ago. Call Ruger. 1" high at 25 yards wouldn't bother me, I want to see what I'm shooting at but some people want to cover the target, I don't know how they shoot at a small target at long range.
Call Ruger about it.

One inch high at 25 yards is right where I'd want it to be.
If you can get it to do that, there's not a damn thing wrong with the gun.
Denis

My 1976 Ruger Single Six always shot high too, and after all those years of heavy shooting it became a little out of time. the cylinder wouldn't lock up unless you cocked the hammer very smartly, and would fire but spit lead. I called Ruger and they sent me a shipping label to return it for a safety inspection. I returned it to Ruger, they fixed the site, re timed the action and touched up the blueing. It came home in perfect time, now shoots to point of aim and looks like new, NO CHARGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hdbiker

My 1976 Single-Six has always had enough adjustment available to put it where I want it, which is about an inch high at 25 yards.
Closer or farther, I adjust ME.
Denis

ammo?

When my Dad passed, several of his guns came to me, one being a 5.5" Single6 with dual cylinders. I put the .22 mag cylinder in, and the gun tends to sh0ot high, even with the rear sight adjustment run all the way down. But.......

Experimenting with different ammo yielded that W-W 45 grain mags shot to point of aim. Using this as an example for your revolver, you may find that a different brand of ammo, or possibly bullet weight, may shoot close enough to point of aim to allow you to be satisfied. Theoretically, I'm thinking something like .22 Stingers, with less barrel dwell time due to higher velocity, may lower your POI. Worth experimenting with before doing anything else.

I finally got to take my new 5.5 in 22 cal single six to the indoor range for sighting in. I started at 5 yards and right away was shooting 3 inches too high. After numerous adjustments and different ammo the best I could do was 1 to 1.5 inches too high with the rear sight maxed out. Anyone have any ideas on what to do next? By the way the gun was giving me some impressive groups with cci mini mags at 10-15 yards. Starting to really like this gun. I just need to get my elevation in check. Thanks

What ammunition are you using, and how long is the barrel?

Slow ammo hits high out of long barrels, because the the barrel begins to rise before the slug leaves the barrel.

I know a .22 doesn’t have much barrel rise, but this is often the case with other long barreled guns that shoot slow moving projectiles.

Back