Single Six been whomped with the ugly stick. What to do?

In a similar situation I went with Mahovski's Metalife.

I had a Smith 19-3 that had been stripped and "spray finished just like cerakote". It turned out to be krylon.

The Metalife hard chrome was great. My only regret in the whole process was selling the gun after refinishing for a handsome profit. Wish I still had it.

Why did I buy it? Well, it' s a 357 that can handle loads meaner than a prudent man wants to hold

Sorry, no, not that gun, unless your "prudent man" is rather wimpy...

A buddy of mine had one (4") back in the day. I was using my father's 6" S&W Highway Patrolman. The bigger heavier N frame S&W handled hotter reloads, and recoiled less.

The Security Six is a stout gun, but it is still a medium frame gun. Tougher than a model 19, I think, but NOT able to handle what a .357 N frame S&W can. You got a hell for stout snubbie .357, but its still a snubbie...;)

The bigger Ruger REDHAWKs would be even stronger.

And, remember, we're not talking about blow up strength. (if you aren't blowing up the gun, then blowup strength doesn't MATTER.) What we're taking about here is working "strength", meaning what level of loads not only fire safely but also extract easily.

I'd CALL Ruger, and see what services they still offer for that model gun, and the costs, including shipping. Once you know that, you can make a better informed decision.

Nice gun, with a bit of surface issues. Good price. You could have done much, much worse.

I wouldn't spend much on it...use it for a dependable home defense gun and put 38's in it. You would have piece of mind and if you had to have it confiscated at some point after a shooting, you would still have your nice guns and you wouldn't lose that much financially.

"...eaten by a coyote and crapped over a cliff..." Rode hard and put away wet, anyway. snicker.
Even if Ruger still worked on 'em, I doubt they'd spend the time to polish out all that pitting. At least not for $130. Kind of hard to tell how bad it is from the picture.
I'd clean it and clean or maybe replace the grips before I did anything.

44, I was correct when I stated it would hold magnum loads meaner than a prudent man would want to hold.

When you start running Redhawk-class heavy loads through a snubby a prudent man doesn't want to hold it anymore. :D

sometimes its nice to have a beater you don't have to worry about. its like having a old truck that you don't have to worry about.
who cares if the branches on the camp road drag along the side.
who cares if tht old revolver bounces around in the glove box.

Why did I buy it? Well, it' s a 357 that can handle loads meaner than a prudent man wants to hold
Sorry, no, not that gun, unless your "prudent man" is rather wimpy...

A buddy of mine had one (4") back in the day. I was using my father's 6" S&W Highway Patrolman. The bigger heavier N frame S&W handled hotter reloads, and recoiled less.

The Security Six is a stout gun, but it is still a medium frame gun. Tougher than a model 19, I think, but NOT able to handle what a .357 N frame S&W can.

I believe the OP means that the gun will handle loads generating all the recoil a prudent man would want to endure, not that the Security Six is the strongest 357 ever made.

In other words the limiting factor in such a light short barreled gun is what the shooter can handle, not the gun.

Slather oil on it and keep it as it is. And use it. If you ever need to carry a gun,
especially in the elements, that'll be the one to use. I could have used a beat up revolver like that in elk camp last week.

Back