Single Six been whomped with the ugly stick. What to do?

feets

I stumbled upon a homely little Ruger Security Six at a local auction. The poor thing was the ugly duckling of the collection so bidding was tepid at best. When the hammer fell the little guy came home with me for $235.

This thing hasn't been beat up as much as it has been neglected. There is heavy pitting on the driver's side and most of the cylinder. The right side only shows pitting under the stocks. In fact, the left side grip is considerably darker than the right. Then, to hide the shame, someone refinished the gun. Interestingly enough, the barrel is fairly black in color with the rest of the gun showing more of a plumb tint. The rear sight is the only place where some of the original blue still shows.

Knowing that it's a Ruger, I wasn't too concerned with it's function. After all, I could always send it in for any necessary major repairs and the rest I can do myself. As it sits, the wee beastie locks up well and passes the traditional revolver checkout. It's bank vault tight with the hammer back and has acceptable cylinder shake when it's down. Gap is good.

Why did I buy it? Well, it' s a 357 that can handle loads meaner than a prudent man wants to hold and has an expected life span only slightly shorter than that of the earth itself. My safe was lacking a 357 and this one was cheap.

Being a stubby, I could drag it around with me into environments that I wouldn't want to subject my regular carry guns to. There's also the distinct possibility that I'll just do my best to wear it out at the range.

Now, the big question is, what to do about the gun. Should I purty it up and go through the trouble of hiding the pits? How about a simple strip and squirt? There's a possibility of slamming Cerakote right over the top of what it's already wearing. The lazy way out would be to leave Little Ugly as it sits and just shoot the stinking thing.

I've got pretty guns so I don't need a beauty queen but I'd like to have a better looking gun. Man size stocks are definitely on the to-do list. My paws swallow this thing so badly it's uncomfortable to hold as-is.

I thought I'd toss it out to the collective and see what better minds than mine could come up with.

Ain't she a beaut?

Security%20Six_zpsr0hatuuz.jpg

Knowing that it's a Ruger, I wasn't too concerned with it's function. After all, I could always send it in for any necessary major repairs

Been hearing and reading for a while that Ruger will no longer service 'service six' family guns...

They no longer carry parts for them...

Just found it:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/service/partsService.html

There are no parts and no service available for the below discontinued products that were produced in Newport, NH.

Security Six Revolvers

Bummer about Ruger no longer servicing these things. No real worries though. I tore it down last night and there is very little wear on any of the internal bits. All of my other revolvers show more wear than this thing.

I guess it's a case of carried lots and shot little.

First off, great buy. Congratulations on buying a fine firearm at a great price.

Second off, leave it alone. Carry it, shoot it, use it. All the while not caring if it gets a scuff or scratch on it.

If they won't refinish it for fear of losing pieces in their industrial size bluing tank (Which Colt once told a customer with a discontinued model.) then consider having it coated over Parkerizing. It would not remove or fill the rough areas but it would cover and protect the steel.

Second off, leave it alone. Carry it, shoot it, use it. All the while not caring if it gets a scuff or scratch on it.

It screams "truck" gun - or something else where you would like to have a gun but do not want to worry about it looking pretty or getting scratched.

"Ain't she a beaut?"

As you said....you have "purty" guns....so I would leave it alone....cept for cleaning... a touch of oil...and have a truck/woods...gun that you do not worry bout damaging the finish...a good ole workin gun...

Shop around on refinishing

Just a bit confused as to whether or not, Ruger would refinish this fine revolver.
RUGER lists two fees and that is confusing as well.

Revolvers and most rifles
$130.00

Double-Action Revolvers
$80.00

If it's still in good mechanical/functional condition and the timing is right, then I would have no problem getting it refinished. I don't mind a rough look but can't stomach "pitting", especially on this one. :(
Only way this could look any better is if it gets refinished .... :)

Might add that a friend of mine just sent off a SA Blackhawk to get reblued, through a local smith and it's going to run him $200.00.

Thanks for your post and;
Be Safe !!!

"Ain't she a beaut?"

As you said....you have "purty" guns....so I would leave it alone....cept for cleaning... a touch of oil...and have a truck/woods...gun that you do not worry bout damaging the finish...a good ole workin gun...
It is a Beaut, and I agree.
I have a pristine stainless 2-3/4" and I really like the looks of yours better. Its just a cool looking gun that shows functionality and some history to it. I'd love to have one just like it. I also have a 4" stainless version that's a beater, but it hasn't aged as gracefully as your blued 2-3/4"

If it was mine I'd leave it as is. Even if you do shoot it to death it's going to take awhile and your investment is minimal. It doesn't look bad at all, just keep it oiled and you're good to go.

Great gun. Probably one of the best all-around revolvers a person could have.

If it was me and I wanted to re-finish it I would ceracote it myself. Just the frame, barrel, and outside of cylinder. A color close to the original finish.
Value isn't going to increase no matter how much money you dumped into it.

Does the $130 refinish cover shipping? If not you're going to spending a total around $200 and the gun isn't going to shoot any better after being refinished.

If the finish bothers you you sell and buy something nicer. A refinish isn't going to fix the pitting.

"Ain't she a beaut?"

I guess the sarcasm wasn't evident.

My tongue was planted firmly in my cheek when I said that.

This old thing looks like it was eaten by a coyote and crapped over a cliff.

On the inside it's all business and mighty fine. I just don't know if I want to keep the ugly covering the outside.

First let me agree with others that you did really well---it's a very functional revolver that sounds like it's got a lot of use left in it. I would have jumped at it. It's got adjustable sights right?

Second, if the ugly duckling of your gun safe wants a new finish go for it. I have no idea what to suggest but if you decide to do it please resurrect this thread and show some of the 'after' pictures.

Back