Single Shots?

I have an old CVA "Derringer" and a "Colonial" pistol. Both good shooters within their limits-still tinkering with the rear sight on the Colonial, the front sight too low for my taste. Really not much different from a single shot rifle.

rcampb6131

Nice looking. For those of us without, you might have mentioned brand/model, how they shoot, which you like best and why. :)

And by the way, welcome to the forum. Altho I see you've joined some time ago :)

Last edited:
To answer your questions: the top one is a Patriot SA1272 in 45 cal. made by Ardesa S. A. Firearms of Spain in the 1980's. The middle is a Euroarms pistol from Italy in .44 cal. made in 1974, and the bottom one is a Philadelphia Derringer made in the 1980's by Dikar S. Corp of Spain. It's also a .45 cal.

The Patriot and the Derringer were given to me by a friend. The Euroarms was purchased at a Gun show. None have been shot, yet!

Model 12,

I don't have a single shot pistol yet but one is on the list. I'm actually a big fan of yours. What an elegant looking firearm!

TC Patriot, .45 cal. This is an amazingly accurate pistol.
DSCN0237_zpsbc5a6f16.jpg

Ten Ring Precision flintlock target pistol, a tool for winning TMLRA bullseye matches.
DSCN0099.jpg

Arrgh mateys! Me pyrate pistol! .40 cal.
001.jpg

Ten Ring Precision percussion target pistol, a tool for winning TMLRA bullseye matches.
037.jpg

I've had several others, but this is what I currently have.

T/C Patriot and a flintlock I built from a kit 'bout 45 years ago.

Four Jukar "Philadelphia Derringers".

I took the worst of the above four pistols, cut the barrel and stock down a bit, and ended up with this. Pictured with one of the other three for comparison.

The TC Patriot is definitely the Ruger Old Army of single shot pistols, and is a super easy to clean design. Pull the wedge, remove the barrel and pump hot water in and out using a cleaning patch on a ramrod. Oil and put away.
They are very accurate but the deep rifling tends to blow patches unless you patch very tight. I like to use a .451 round ball with a .015" thick pillow ticking patch. .445 and a .020 cotton duck patch works well also.

From a sandbag rest, it can shoot cloverleaf clusters at fifty yards, or at least I have done it once or twice when I had younger eyes, using .451 balls and oiled denim patches.

The Lyman pistols suit me, these two were from kits. The top one I cut the barrel half round, made a new under rib and brass thimble then cast a pewter nose cap. Before any work was done I lapped the barrels. Both shoot very well.

Oliver those are some of the nicest GPP kit builds I've ever seen. LOVE them. Sure wish I could produce such results, I'd buy one of those kits in a heartbeat but kits and me don't work out so nicely! I'm no so gifted!

My pistol is a Pedersoli, Harpers Ferry .54 smoothbore NSSA gun.

Turning that barrel from full octagon to half round totally transformed the look of that pistol. Probably made it less muzzle heavy also. Good work Oliver!

Back