Single Shots?

Model12Win

Seems like all anyone posts here are the cap and ball revolvers. Anybody shoot single shots? Here is mine:

20160430_173909_2.jpg

I got rid of all my single shots when I started collecting revolvers about 15 years ago. I had a pair of Harpers Ferry Pistols that were a lot of fun to shoot and acquitted themselves quite well in competition. Also had some Pedersoli Kentucky pistols in .50 and .54.

I currently have a single shot kit sitting around, about 1/3 finished. Payed just over $100 on GB for it. Maybe someday I will finish it.
Revolvers are just too much fun.

Staying in the spirit !!!

I got rid of all my single shots when I started collecting revolvers about 15 years ago
Well, about five years ago, I got rid of all my C&B's and in the BuckSkinner tradition, went to single-shots. My last purchase, was a pair of German Dueling pistols and what beauties they are. My favorite shooters are a .45 and .36 TC-Patriots. ....... :)

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Here is my .40 with a before pic

And a couple after I browned the barrel and lock, stained the wood, and fire blued the screws, sights, and trigger. Also made a rod with a .32acp rammer.

The pistol is Belgian made and import marked with Turner Kirkland's name on the top flat. 60's I believe.
Got really lucky and actually found another,(both are serial no. under 1000) so I have a matching pair -no photos though.

They are the perfect mates to my .40 poor boy rifle.
I'm lucky to own some nice smokeless guns, but my first choice when going out on a nice day is always for the .40 flinters.

Both pistols shoot to the sights at 20yds with 25gr. 3F with a .390RB/.012 pillow ticking w/1000+ lube.
Neither pistol showed any liking for 30 or 35grs.

It is much nicer than my photographic abilities (or obvious lack thereof) show.

JT

Nope, the only single shot bp pistols that interest me are those .65 caliber and up, just because I can throw a decent amount of shot in them and have the most legal non-NFA short barrel shotgun that FDR allows me to have.

I just don't see the point of muzzleloading pistols, they're not as accurate as long guns and cap and ball revolvers have 4 or 5 more shots behind them.

There's a reason as soon as the revolver came about that single shot pistols largely disappeared.

You seem to forget that when your revolver is empty, you've got to load up 5-6 chambers again. Not so with a one shooter. Sure you've only got one shot, but the reload time is far less. Add the massive increase in reliability and it's just a lot more enjoyable than some think! The steady, methodical pace and lack of malfunctions is relaxing. They are also much easier and faster to clean over any revolver.

I'll bet half of those that put down single shot blackpowder handguns have never seriously even tried one, especially a well made one.

And TruthTellers, there's also a reason that cap and ball revolvers largely disappeared when centerfire cartridges came out. It's called technological progress, and it has nothing to do with what is enjoyable for target shooting. It's laughable that you would even say something like that in a BLACK POWDER forum. Cruise on over to the semi-auto pistol section if you are so focused on the apex of handgun design. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The purpose of the thread is to discuss single shot pistols that you have.

It is pure silliness to start posturing that you don't like them because modern guns are modern.

Thus, stay on track as those sort of comments don't contribute. Hint.

I'll bet half of those that put down single shot blackpowder handguns have never seriously even tried one, especially a well made one.

I'm not putting them down. If that's what floats your goat then more power to ya. I've owned them in the past and they look good, they're just not a lot of fun to shoot(for me).

Model12Win said:
You seem to forget that when your revolver is empty, you've got to load up 5-6 chambers again. Not so with a one shooter. Sure you've only got one shot, but the reload time is far less. Add the massive increase in reliability and it's just a lot more enjoyable than some think!
If you're talking about loading 5 to 6 chambers, then yes, that does take longer than a single shot, but if we're talking about reloading one chamber in a revolver to reloading a muzzleloading pistol, the revolver can win if using paper cartridges and a straight capper.

The single shot has to have a ball or bullet rammed down the bore, the ramrod put back into the pistol, a priming powder poured into the flashpan, the frizzen closed, and the hammer cocked. That's a lot of work compared to loading one chamber in a revolver, possibly even two chambers.

I have always wanted one of the Pedersoli Bounty pistols.... for a long time now. I think this is just an awesome pistol and I'd love to just sit at my range and shoot one of these things for a couple/three hours on a nice Saturday.
Maybe one day.....

17S.317.jpg

About the time I got interested in owning a hand cannon. T/C up and quit making there Patriot. Tried buying a used Patriot on more than one occasion but didn't have deep enough pockets such a buy requires.

No doubt about it. All these pictured one's here sure are dandy's.

Just saying:
Don't know if a poured pewter cap would up-set a pistols balance.? But what a handsome embellishment a poured cap would make towards its being one of a kind. But if the hand gun is a collectible. I know original factory condition is preferred.

BTW: Nice brace of pistols JT-AR-MG42.

I have a Lyman Great Plains single shot muzzle loader and a Trapper that we had to build at school.

The one big advantage of the single shots is that they can be cleaned in the kitchen sink. :D

If you're talking about loading 5 to 6 chambers, then yes, that does take longer than a single shot, but if we're talking about reloading one chamber in a revolver to reloading a muzzleloading pistol, the revolver can win if using paper cartridges and a straight capper.

The single shot has to have a ball or bullet rammed down the bore, the ramrod put back into the pistol, a priming powder poured into the flashpan, the frizzen closed, and the hammer cocked. That's a lot of work compared to loading one chamber in a revolver, possibly even two chambers.

now this is just backwards......in forty years of shooting BP I have never...NEVER...seen anyone using paper cartridges to reload a revolver.....I know there are many online examples of how it can be done....but having been to many Black Powder events...I will still say...I have NEVER seen anyone using them.in fact...the paper cartridge will work for a single shot...very quickly....by tearing the base of the paper round, mostly by the teeth. then used to prime the flashpan....the rest poured down the muzzle and the paper and ball are rammed down on top...and it is not required to return the ramrod back in its place, to fire the pistol
those with experience will know this

Last edited:
I have used paper cartridges but to me they're a PITA to make. Speedwise loading and firing one chamber out of a revolver with a paper cartridge would be about the same as a single shot. You don't have to tear a revolver cartridge but after it's loaded you have to cap it which is slower and turn the cylinder to battery.

Back