Single shot rifle

wicat3

Hey everyone. Hunting season is over for me for this season. I am looking at getting a new rifle. I was sitting in my blind the other day and I was thinking about getting a new rifle for next season and I was thinking a single shot would be great as I don't plan on shooting more then once unless I'm shooting multiple deer in the day which ussally is not the case. I've never used a single shot so I'm new to them. I would like to get something reliable, can have a scope mounted to it with ease, and it would be great to have it in .270 as that is a caliber that I hunt with now but I am open to a 243 round as well.

I have always been an aficionado of the quality single shot rifle. Ruger #1's, Browning High and Low walls. The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a Browning B-78 in 6MM Remington. The most beautiful rifle I have ever owned was a Browning B-78 in 45-70. My current favorite is my Browning Low Wall (I cannot remember the model number), in 22 Hornet which I keep next to the window in my gun room with which to shoot varmints out of my window.

This spring Henry is bringing some nice looking break action single shots to the market. I suspect they will be priced under $400. With a little patience you can get a Ruger Number One in 280 for close to $800. For $250 you can get a CVA break action in 243. I have one in 44 magnum and it gets the job done.

Ruger #1 is a luxury rifle that can be had for a reasonable price. Many of them shipped from the factory with exceptionally nice wood. Caliber offerings, however, are limited from year to year. Check out Classicsportingarms.com, they usually have several #1s to drool over.

TC ENCORE was my choice have fell in love with it have 45cal muszzleloader,270calPistol, 243,30/06,300winmag,Rifel barrels. :)

I had looked into the tc encore and the cva. I will look into the Henry break action as well. I have been looking at the NEF handi rifle as well. How do you like the cva and encore? Anything you don't like about these or something you would change?

How do you like the cva and encore? Anything you don't like about these or something you would change?
I have an Encore. My relationship with it is love hate. It seems every time i need to buy a barrel I need to buy a new forearm, which doesn't match my old butt stock, so they either mismatch or I need to buy another. Then there is always something else that needs replaced. My 45-70 barrel came with a front sight with a height for shooting 400 yards. Reasonable for the rifle in general, but I wanted it for Ohio deer hunting, so had to replace the sight. Which led me to a very frustrating call to S&W where it was clear their CS people had almost no product knowledge of the T/C line. I ended up calling E.A. Brown and they did have the product knowledge and parts available.
By the time all was said and done purchasing my used barrel, stock set, replacement front sight, etc., I was very close to the price of a used Ruger #1. Same goes for the muzzle loader set I bought. If you think a change barrel will save you money, I think you need to look into that more closely.
On the other hand, if you are looking at wildcats, other odd chambers, or want to push the limits on a cartridge, the Encore rifles are hard to beat. I bought a 357 MAX barrel this Summer I was planning to hunt with until life got in the way. Hopefully I will be able to get it running over the Winter. I expect to be much happier with that set-up as there are not many readily available options to compare to price wise.

I have Browning/Miroku and Winchester/Miroku single shots in different calibers and recently got a TC Encore single shot. I like the Miroku guns the best for looks and accuracy. My Win/Miroku in 45-70 will shoot an honest sub 1moa off sandbags repeatedly. My Browning/Miroku Low Wall will shoot just a tad over 1moa for five shots with several loads and it's my favorite single shot. It looks great and I love this gun in 357max for deer hunting. It weighs next to nothing, looks great, and kills deer with ease. I'd opt for anything in a High or Low wall from Winchester. They're available in a lot of caliber choices. Check out gunbroker.com They usually have a bunch of them on sale at reasonable prices.

What's your budget?
Ruger No. 1's are only available through Lipsey's. MSRP is $1,499.00. Currently no .243's other than with the 1 in 7.7", 26", heavy Varmint barrel. May or may not be in stock either. http://www.lipseys.com/mfg.aspx?mfg=Ruger
"...a Ruger Number One in 280..." Won't be a BNIB rifle. No .280's currently available from Ruger. They are making a 24", 7 x 57(275 Rigby) though. They're making a .257 Roberts too.
There's a bunch of Pedersoli Sharps replicas at Dixie Gun Works. Mostly .45-70's running roughly $1200ish, but there's a Rolling Block .45 Colt at $725.
Smith & Wesson Corp is just the holding company. Really has nothing to do with CS for TC. That's .tca_customerservice@tcarms.com or (866) 730-1614

That is really a coincidence. I recently started having thoughts of a S/S rifle too. I am thinking H&R, or who ever bought them out. I want one for hunting, not a show piece. Let us know how it works out.

My Cabelas has several brand new 280's in stock. I have seen them listed new on several online sites. They are $899 at my Cabelas. I have seen them on sale for $799. I can't remember where.

Single and happy

I have been using a T/C Contender for many years with great success.

For deer-size game, the 7X40 Waters is perfect and has little perceived recoil as well.

Check out Mike Bellm's website for lots of excellent Contender info.

Wow I was considering the tc encore because the ability to have many rifles in one is appealing. I could sell a lot of rifles to consolidate but it sounds flawed. As for my budget I would like to stay around 400 at the most. I love the brownings and ruger but that's a bit rich for my blood and it's a single shot. If I can get a good rifle and save some cash I can buy a decent scope all at once to get a great set up. I heard Henry was coming out with a break action single shot but I have not been able to see anybody selling one or even in Henry's catalog

Ruger No. 1's are only available through Lipsey's.

Not true. The link I posted above will take you to new and used #1s ranging in price from from about $1200.00 to $1500.00. They are listed by year of their offering and the used ones have a condition description.

I just looked, they have a NIB K1B in 270 Win for $1400.00. That's a retail price to be sure but still well under what a custom of equal quality would cost and under what many of the better semi-customs like Cooper cost.

I have a 1B in 338 Win Mag. I wouldn't sell it for $1400.00. The breech block drops to expose the chamber, rises and snaps shut in a manner that brings to mind a bank vault door or perhaps an artillery piece. The wood is beautiful on mine with figure that is extra fancy, although not all come that way. It's a bit picky about accuracy but the worst loads will still shoot with a level of accuracy that is acceptable for hunting. They're wonderful rifles, I hope Ruger keeps making them for a long time.

Last edited:
I love my Browning 1885 in '06.

Used it on lots of game, big and small.

I have semi-auto's and bolt guns as well, but hunting with, and shooting the 1885 is enjoyable in s whole different way.

I'm currently looking for an 1885, 16", in .38-55, and looking at some sharps replicas in 38-55, 30-40, and .22 Hornet.

Well, I'me a Ruger #1 freak so I have 20 of them ranging from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. I also have one Browning B-78, now discontinued.
If you really like a .270, I'd look for a #1B with 26" barrel for the highest possible velocity or the #1A with normal 22" barrel, whichever floats your boat.
I have the #1A in .270 and have been kicking myself for passing up a "B" model in .270. Oh well.
Basic thing to look at is Rugers with a red recoil pad mostly have contract barrels some of which were not good at all. The Rugers with black pads have barrels made by Ruger and are considered good. With that said, there are many tricks to make a #1 shoot good. I've only had one Ruger, a #1A that had a really bad barrel. After determining the problem, I sent it with documentation back to Ruger and it came back with a brand new barrel. FWIW, that 7x57 #1 is my all time favorite of all my #1's.
With some luck you might find one for around $600 at a gun show, especially if the wood looks a bit hard. I bought a 25-06 "B" model for $400 that looked like it was rode hard and put away wet to use as a donor. Damn thing shot .25" groups all day long. :eek: Later I found another 25-06 with superb wood and looked like new. So far 2" is about the best it will do. Both guns are red pads.
BTW, I forget which distance but Ruger's accuracy is two inches at with 50 or 100 yards. Most of mine will do much better than that. :cool:
and before you ask, yes, I do hunt with those rifles.
Paul B.

I only have one single shot rifle and that is an H&R Handi rifle in 223 caliber. That little gun really shoots too. I wish I had bought a couple of extra barrels for it. A 30-30 and a 22 hornet. It cost me NIB $250 OTD and was worth every penny. Its not fancy but it makes me happy.

Last edited:
I'd save the extra and get the TC Encore. I have the Pro-hunter model with a few different barrels....it is an excellent rifle....Handy, accurate and very easy to carry in the woods even with a 28" barrel. There's no need to buy extra parts for the rifle if you want a different barrel....simply buy one with the same contour as your original.....and just because you can doesn't mean you have to have more than one barrel......but there's always that option, whereas the other rifles mentioned will not allow for an easy barrel change.

Back