Single Shot Hunters

I tag my first bull (Co) 1977 used Ruger #1 7 mag. I had it rebarreled to 30-338 mag. It's been good above timberline bull elk rifle and should find out soon if I draw bull elk tag.

I hunt a little with a Ruger # 1B standard in 25-06. I do not hunt open country much but when I do I'll take this rifle. I bought it new round about 1993.

I've hunted deer with a single shot. But, I gravitated back towards bolt actions.

I've only had to shoot 1 deer more than once in my life... but I'm glad I had a bolt action when that incident occurred. Much easier to just work the action than to find a second round in my pocket somewhere and try to feed it into the gun with frozen fingers.

All my rifles are single shot. I have two CVA Wolf .50 ML’s (break-action with breech plug). They will throw a 270gr .44 Speer Deep Curl in a sabot at 1700fps. Hits like a hammer and is extremely accurate.
The other two big-bores are CVA SCOUT takedown 45-70’s. These are also tack-drivers, and will push a 405gr hard cast at 1400fps. These rifles have muzzle breaks, which tames the recoil considerably. I highly recommend the newer CVA lines of single shots; quality rifles at an affordable price...well, after the Covid thing, they have gone up, unfortunately

Last edited:
I hunt with a single shot 45/70. Never any problems, quick reloads and I can tailor the load to the rifle without worrying about semi-auto malfunctions. CVA Hunter. Great rifle.

Ironically I just bought one of those this weekends, but in .444 Marlin. Seems like a sweet gun, looking forward to shooting it hopefully this upcoming weekend if my optic comes in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.444 Marlin H&R Handi-Rifle.
One Elk, many chickens, a couple rabbits, a coyote or two, probably some squirrels.

You only need one bullet if you put it where it needs to go.

There are a lot of guys hunting with H&R single shot rifles. I've hunting with one too but I can't blame the rifle for hunts were I didn't see any game...

I really get PO'ed at black tail deer. They're thick in town from fall though winter and near impossible to find out where they're legal to hunt during hunting season.

Tony

I've been hunting with single shots since 1975 through to 2009. I started elk hunting on a private ranch in New Mexico in 2010 and they don't allow single shot rifles. Go figure. I've taken six elk off that place in six shots yet I'm not allowed to bring one of my Ruger #1s to take my elk. Their rule so I go along.
Paul B.

Only hunt what this State has to offer. Some time ago I gave up traveling to different States to hunt. Expensive chancy and many of those I knew well whom offered me their hospitality in different States have passed.
In regards to big game here Whitetails top my list. So over time I read & listened to professionals which includes our Game Wardens.
Put into practiced those Tips that worked for me.
Staying on point.
Every now and then I prefer a little less weight to tote. Especially so on Still Hunts. So on those days. I happen to have a Savage 219. Not exactly a power house cartridge does it shoot. But carefully aimed with a little patience a 219 single shot it will get the job done in one firing. Having that rifle in hand I carry a limited amount of cartridges. 3 to be exact. That's all I ever needed just.__>3--30-30s

Last edited:
The only single shot guns I own are my muzzleloader & a old .410 shotgun. I always try to have a backup shot ready, fortunately I have only had to use it one time when my 12ga slug clipped a limb & hit the deer high. I had to use another shot to finish him off.

Back