Single clip IWB holsters

HistoryJunky

I'm looking for a decent, quick on and off holster. The carry gun in question is the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield .40.

I don't know anything about these type of holsters. Are they sufficient for stable carry? How does it compare to a dual clip holster like aliengear?

Last edited:
I have a Galco Triton for my G19. It's stable for carry, but unless I really cinch it down, it wants to come off the belt when I draw. Honestly, it seems to do best when I put it outside the pants, but inside the belt.

For full size pistols, I really prefer double clip or double loops. Single loop/clip holsters are okay for smaller pistols.

I have a single loop holster for a G19 and find that it just isn't stable enough for my tastes. With any movement, the cant changes and the holster moves around too much.

Sorry I guess I mis-posted. Just woke up... I'm out there somewhere. The gun is a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield .40.

Would the smaller profile of the gun make it more suitable for a single clip style holster?

In that case, yes.

While I still prefer a double clip/loop for my shield, I have a couple of single clip holsters that work just fine too (Clinger Stingray and a High Noon Hidden Ally). Their clips seem to work really well and I've never had the holster come off my belt while drawing. I did have this problem with a couple other holsters however.

Look at the Blade-tech Klipt.

Single clip kydex. Great design and well made. The Cabbalas by me has started stocking Blade-tech products which is nice

Ive used Blade-tech stuff since starting at Front Sight (1997) and have always been happy with the gear.

One of the things I've noticed is that the dual-clip holsters (like the CBST & the clones) can be thinner than the single-clips, because you're not "stacking" the clip and the body of the holster. My CBST takes up a lot of ground in the up-down and left-right directions, but it's a pretty slim profile in terms of how far out it sticks from my waist.

I had one for my G19 (still have the holster, sold the gun) and one for my snub. Both were Galco Soft-Tuk

I found them comfortable, but more so with the snub. To be fair, I've used the snub one waaay more than I ever used the holster for the G19...

Because of the single anchor point, I find they don't pull the gun against the body all that well, hence why snub at "appendix" position. In that place, the snub was both comfortable and well concealed.

The G19, which on went at about 4-5 o'clock was fine when standing, but leaning over the butt would stick out significantly. Had it been a G26, perhaps it would have been OK...

For anything over about 16oz gun weight empty, you really don't want a single clip IWB holster. Trust me, it will not stay completely put, especially if you will be walking alot or getting in/ out of your car/sitting down. You will have to do a LOT of re adjusting. Double attachment point IWB holsters basically eliminate moving of gun position. And if you are skinny and carry a big gun in warmer weather, even the slightest shift in cant or position may be the difference from printing or not printinf

Personally I prefer the two clip, hybrid IWB holsters even for small guns. Like my Kahr CM 9 which some even consider a pocket gun.
It just makes the gun so much more stable, and to me comfortable.
I tried a single clip custom built holster from an individual I'm not even sure is still in business. This was for a XD40 Sub Compact. The gun seemed to tilt downward, and move around with only one clip. His design had the clip on sort of a tab to fhe rear of the hooster, behind the gun. So I sent it back, and had him add a flap with another clip Iin front. That solved the tilting problem, but even with a double reenforced mouth on the holster it still tended to crush when the gun was removed making it hard if not impossible to reholster. The Kydex shell makes for a so much better IWB holster

I am a proud new owner of an alien gear leather IWB holster. The leather is rrrrrreally thick and the whole holster feels extremely durable. I am small, and the holster is just a bit thick and the kydex part is a wee bit stiff/wide for me. I think an all leather IWB would be more comfortable for me, but I am going to keep the AG holster as it is tolerable when my pants are pulled up so high and I wear pants that are 2+ inches bigger with a nice belt

I love my Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0. I had a cheaper galco single clip for a while, then I switched the Alien Gear, don't think I would ever go back to a single clip now.

kennydale-albums-glock-picture122641-bigfoot-g17-b.jpg

Love my Appalachian Concealment Gladius (AIWB) for my G17

I have two Nate Squared Tactical Professional IWB holsters (n82tactical.com), one for my Glock 17 and one for my Glock 30. The holster has a single clip and is extremely comfortable. I wear a Better Belt USA gun belt which provides very good support. The single clip holds the holster and gun very well and the holster settles into the side of my body.

Back