Single Actions?

It's going to be almost as heavy as the standard 7½" Super Blackhawk. I had one and it was 1oz heavier than a 4 5/8" Super.

JackMoser65 you are correct. I have looked at the specs on the flat top 357 before and IIRC they are listed at around 44oz. Thats not very far off from the Super BH I have in 44 mag with a 5.5" barrel. Plus I already own 6 357 mag revolvers now. I really don't need another one. My buddy has a 357 Vaquero and it is one chunky little pistola.

Its why I really like the 32 mag single six. It weighs around 32oz and is a pleasure to carry on a belt. And I have so much 32 loading componants that it cost almost nothing to shoot.

One other big bore ruger that does interest me is the Black Hawk 45 Colt/45ACP convertible. With the 4.5" barrel and alloy grip frame it shows to weigh just 38oz. Thats a packable gun with some thump. But it would cause me to have to get dies, at least 2 bullet moulds, brass and a slew of jacketed bullets. It would be an expensive start up.

JWise I looked at the Uberti site to see what they listed your gun as weighing but didn't find anything. Do you have any way to weigh your gun or does your paperwork have a listed weight? Thats a nice looking gun.

When my uncle died about 11 years ago I was supposed to get two Colt first generation guns in 32-20. But my aunt, bless her little heart sold them out from under me. And I even offered to pay her for them. Market value. They belonged to my grandfather and my uncle specifically told me he wanted me to have them.

Here is the Super Blackhawk three screw. It is from 1970, IIRC. The trigger is so light and smooth that when other people shoot it for the first time, the first shot is way off target. It makes 44 specials feel like popcorn. Some folks don't prefer the squared-off dragoon trigger guard, but when I slip my pinky under the butt (as the good Lord and Samuel Colt intended) the trigger guard doesn't touch my finger at all.

Super20Blackhawk_zps8zdsf02x.jpg

Jwise,

That EL Patron looks good. I missed out on one of those on Gunbroker about 4 months ago. IIRC it sold for sub $400.

A few 4 years or so ago, there was a dealer on Gunbroker selling NIB - Uberti Hombre's cheap - $250 + shipping. He had them in 357 mag and 45 Colt. I bought 1 in 357. Hindsight being 20/20 I should've bought 2 in each caliber.

While the finish is nothing special - the more I shoot the gun the more it grows on me.

24061096970_5bffbcca53_b.jpg

24061096930_6f866d4823_b.jpg

Now that you have the 357mag SA revolver... you do realize you "need" a matching caliber rifle? ;)

A 357mag Rossi 92 fulfills that role for me:
24435924656_4800a2d4b9_b.jpg

My other SA cartridge revolver is this Colt Frontier Scout 22LR bought cheap on Gunbroker:

25117809336_3014454568_b.jpg

And some BP Pietta revolvers which are a joy to make smoke with:
26992943134_22fd8455e1_b.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Winchester 1894 Trapper chambered in .44mag. At the time, I wanted one in .357, but they were being recalled as they had reliability problems.

It's a nice rifle.

.44 Mag

AMT hit it on the nose.

Especially with single action revolvers, the grip style goes a long way to felt recoil.

SAA revolvers where designed to "roll" in one's hand as the gun begins to recoil. Maintaining a "death grip" on the gun transfers a good deal of felt recoil to the shooting hand/arm.

Especially with single action revolvers, the grip style goes a long way to felt recoil.

SAA revolvers where designed to "roll" in one's hand as the gun begins to recoil. Maintaining a "death grip" on the gun transfers a good deal of felt recoil to the shooting hand/arm.

True. IME the basic NM Blackhawk grip (XR3-RED?) rolls up nicely in the hand, taking the thump out of the recoil better than any other I've shot. My F/A and the Ruger Bisleys thump my hand harder than the NM grip, even though they are heavier.

I can't make myself love the Blackhawk, but I wouldn't throw it out of the safe for smelling like hoppes, if you know what I mean.

I'm a traditional colt lover. Give me bluer steel, mostly, with literally any other configuration.

Believe me, I'd sacrifice a fifty pound brown goat on my aunt Betty's grave for some of those in the thread. A goat and two bunnies for some of th e uberties. Those aren't tools, they are art.

The recoil issue is something I've read for years, the typical DA and the lower bore axis to grip line is h harder on the hands. T h e higher bore axis of an SA rolls it up, putting it on the wrist somewhat.. The bisley that I fired almost ended up on my ear.

I think that I prefer an SA in heavier loads, my da .357 is about all the jolt I want on a regular basis.

I'm more of a double-action guy, but this BFR in 454 Casull soaks up heavy 45 Colt loads like they're nothing, and very accurate to boot. I love the 5" barrel.

BFR454_zpsa7364513.jpg~original

Yup, seems like there is somthin' for just about anyone in the SA family. I have been shooting them for over 50 years, and absolutely nothing feels more natural to my hand. Knowing how to hold them is a learned experience for some, but totally instinctive for others.

Personally, I get ill looking at anything "Bisley", and I can see absolutely no point in owning any SA with less than a 6" barrel - they just do not look right either. But those are just my preferences - more power to everyone who disagrees with them!

I think starting with a .44 is a damn shame; it is the most absolute way to totally ruin someone on the joys of the normal SA frame and plow handle grip shape - they start out somewhat afraid (or at least a bit apprehensive) of the big caliber, and they try to control the danged thing with a death grip that just makes everything totally unacceptable. Every shot get worse for them. From that point on, it is almost impossible to teach them how to re-learn the joys of shooting a SA and letting it gently roll up in the hand.

For me, shooting my Ruger Super Blackhawk with .44 Mag full house loads is a total pleasure, but I have always shot a whole lot more .38s and .357s in my Ruger Blackhawk simply 'cause the lead costs a lot less! I almost never shoot my long-barreled Single Six anymore since I can reload the .38s cheaper than buying .22s. But popping rabbits with that 8 1/2" barrel sure is a lot of fun...

A .22 can be a good first SA, but it really doesn't teach you much about the guns because the frames are smaller and the little caliber doesn't recoil enough to even feel the normal roll-up. I think the ideal first SA is a .38 - not enough bang and jump to scare anyone, but plenty to quickly teach how easy they are to shoot if held correctly. After that, any other caliber is easily accepted and feels just as natural.

I like my Ruger Hunter SA, 22 rimfire...comes with an extra 22 mag cylinder. It has a 3x Nikon pistol scope mounted on top. I also have a black powder Ruger Old Army.

I also love single action revolvers . I have the Smoke Wagon Deluxe , made by Uberti for Taylor's & Co. . I think it is the same gun as the El Parton , but without the badge .

I have two single actions, Ruger new model single six 22/22mag (bought in 1976), Ruger Black hawk Stainless steel 357 mag.

Back