Single Actions?

jwise

Back in the summer of '98, I picked up my first single action handgun, a Ruger Vaquero in .44mag. I wasn't specifically looking for a single action revolver, but rather the best value for a handgun in that particular chambering.

I was planning a backpacking trip to Montana. Earlier that year, Anthony Hopkins fought a grizzly on screen and it made me re-evaluate my small armory. I had multiple 9mm handguns, but nothing bigger. Nothing that would do any more than tick off a bear.

After years of ownership, I probably haven't put more than 100 rounds through it. For such a historic design and storied history, the caliber (even shooting 44 S&W Specials) just isn't fun to shoot.

After having so much fun with my newly acquired S&W 586 6", I've thought about adding another revolver to my inventory. This week I had another huge professional win, so I decided to mark the event with another handgun I've had my eye on for a while: a Uberti single action in .357.

I have taken it out only once, and put 50 rounds of .38spl through her. Oh my! She is a JOY to shoot! Compared with the Vaquero it is night and day different.

Not only does the Uberti not hurt my hand (and ears/head) to shoot, the action is smoother and the handgun is so much lighter in the hand.

I just love the color case hardened frame, and look forward to years of enjoyment instead of just years of ownership.

Who else has single actions you enjoy shooting? What is your favorite?

I'm thinking one day I'm going to have to break down and add a Colt SAA in .45LC.

My favorite is my Ruger Blackhawk in 45C, it is by far my favorite single action revolver. I do have Blackhawks in 45C, 44mag, 357 & 30 Carbine and enjoy shooting all of them. I prefer the Blackhawks over the Vaquero guns due to the adj sights, as a reloader I can change power loads and adj the sights to fit mild to wild loads. Congrats on your new addition, hope it brings you years of shooting enjoyment.

Shooting the larger caliber handguns is an acquired taste. You have to want to shoot them. Hope you enjoy the new Uberti 357 single action. I have mostly a double action revolver preference but have a Blackhawk in 41 mag and a BFR in 475/480.

Ruger single actions totally rock! I have five:

Single Six in 22lr 6.5"
Single Six in 32 H&R magnum 6.5"
Blackhawk in 357 6.5"
Blackhawk convertible in 45acp/45 long colt 7.5"
Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum 7.5" (old model "three screw")

They are my favorite shooters and range toys. Out of the many firearms I own, the Super Blackhawk may very well be my favorite.

Ruger single actions

I've never owned a Vaquero but I've had a few Blackhawks. I currently have two Supers, a scoped blue 7.5" .44 Mag that is one of my favorite handguns, a stainless 4 5/8" that I admit is a real handful with magnums and so usually is loaded with .44 Specials, a 4 5/8" blue .357 (that my son has on long term loan), a scoped .30 Carbine that keeps the Coyotes at bay when loaded with 90gr XTPs, and finally a 6.5" Single Six Convertible that seems to prefer .22 magnums over .22LR.

OP, your new Uberti is a beauty! I've thought about getting one of those in .45 Colt... But what I really want is a 586 like yours. I have a 4" 686 that is my favorite .357 but the blue 586 has got to be one of the best Looking Smiths ever!

Great choices !!!

I've had my eye on for a while: a Uberti single action in .357.
I too, have been eye-balling these Uberti's and other than the added checkered grips, the price is very reasonable. Am I to understand that you actually bought the Uberti or just looking it over. If I may ask, what kind of price are you seeing on these? ...... :confused:

I too enjoy shooting SA's although some of my shooting buddies, feel I'm living in the dark ages. Actually, there are times I wish I was. ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Who else has single actions, you ask?

I do. My .357 Magnums:

And .44 Specials:

And .44 Magnums, plus some Specials:

And, .45 Colt:

This one just for fun:

And a few decked out in stag:

I do like the Single Action.

Bob Wright

Congratulations! Glad you enjoy it!

There are, essentially two different single action revolvers common today, Ruger, and Colt (and copies).

With Colts & clones you get the authentic old West look, and feel, because, other than some minor tweaks they are the same as the guns used back then.

With Rugers, you get what can be a confusing variety, with the same or very similar names. But you also get a modern SA revolver, with what I feel are considerable advantages over the old Colt system.

You would have had to work hard to find a worse choice of caliber for your first SA revolver than .44 Magnum. That could have easily given you a bit of a bias about them. However, if you think the Vaquero with stock grips is an unpleasant .44 Mag to shoot with full house loads, try a S&W M29!

Grips make a huge difference. So does the power level of the load. The standard "plow handle" grip shape of the SA is very good up till you get to .44Mag power levels. Then it gets unpleasant.

I'm not in the least surprised that a smaller, lighter SA shooting "pop gun" .38 special is easier on the hand than a .44 Magnum.

My personal preference is for the new model Ruger, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, and Vaquero. I do have a New Vaquero, don't like it as much.
I am currently down to 10 Ruger SA revolvers, calibers .22LR/.22WMR, .357Mag, .44Mag, .45Colt/.45ACP and .45 Colt.

Transfer bar system, all are safe to carry loaded with six. The original Colt system is only safe to carry with five loaded and an empty chamber under the hammer.

ITs all a matter of personal preference. I have and love my Rugers, a good friend of mine has a safe full of Colts and no Rugers.

That Uberti is a handsome gun, congrats.

I just have one, but I like it a lot. Bought this about 15 years ago after a good week in my hardwood flooring business. Just a joy to shoot, especially when you roll your own loads.
350e650c-23cd-41a4-a23d-51c5fe267784_zpsc0f43f67.jpg

I have a Super Black Hawk in 44 mag but rarely shoot it. Its just too big to tote around. I also have two single sixes in 22/22 mag and like them quite a bit. But my favorite to shoot single actions are the 2 single six 32 magnums with 5.5" barrels and adjustable sights I own.

They are the same size as the 22s but are just a little bit lighter in weight and you get just enough bump in the hand when shooting them to remind you they are not 22s.

I reload and cast my own bullets for them. I also make shot loads with gas checks and #12 shot. Those are some snake killin' dudes too. My 85gr bullets are going just over 1300fps and the 100gr bullets around 1250fps. Either one would kill a deer in a pinch if the range is kept short. I load bullets to around 900fps for plinking and small game hunting.

I really want one of the anniversary Ruger 357 flat tops with the smaller frame. So maybe someday.

Single Actions? What else is there? :) . All I shoot. I prefer my Ruger medium frame flattops (and New Vaqueros) in .45 Colt, .44 Special, and .357. And in that order of cartridge preference as well. Then Ruger Old Army revolvers for shooting some BP.... Doesn't get any better no-how. Of course you have to have a Single Six in .22LR too. My 'reloadable' .22 is a Single Seven (.327 Mag/.32 H&R Mag). Still looking for a dedicated .32 H&R Single Six.

Ruger 357 flat tops with the smaller frame
Lispeys had/has a run of .357s/9mm convertibles on the medium frame. I have the blued 5 1/2" one. The 9mm cylinder doesn't get used.

Last edited:
I really want one of the anniversary Ruger 357 flat tops with the smaller frame.
It's going to be almost as heavy as the standard 7½" Super Blackhawk. I had one and it was 1oz heavier than a 4 5/8" Super.

Howdy

Single Action Revolvers? The problem with this board is it only allows us to post six photos per post, so I will just show a few highlights.

Two Second Gen Colts, the top one made in 1973, the bottom one made in 1968. Both are chambered for 45 Colt. These are my regular CAS Main Match pistols, I shoot them with Black Powder at almost every match.

colts_04_zps778f0729.jpg

A 38-40 Bisley Colt made in 1909. I have not shot it a whole lot, need to load up some more Black Powder 38-40 and shoot it some more.

bisley03_zpsa2a15e70.jpg

And now for something a little bit different, a Smith and Wesson New Model Number Three, caliber 44 Russian, made in 1882, factory refinished in 1965. I have several original, large frame, antique Smith and Wesson revolvers, but this one is the most enjoyable to shoot. Black Powder only, of course.

new%20model%20number%20three%2002_zpsczb4qqj3.jpg

Now for something completely different, a Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army, 2nd Model. Chambered for 44-40. Manufactured sometime between 1881 and 1883. I don't shoot it a whole lot, but I have brought it to a few CAS matches. Black Powder only, of course.

Pocket%20Army%20open%20Top%2003_zpsxtkn5gjd.jpg

Rugers? Here is my 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible Blackhawk that I bought brand-spanky new in 1975. First large caliber cartridge revolver I ever owned.

BlackhawkConvertible02_zpsac3ff932.jpg

A couple of Stainless Vaqueros (the original models), 45 Colt, that I used to shoot in CAS before I bought the Colts. They still come along to every match as backups in case something happens to the Colts.

stainlessvaqueros.jpg

Do I like Single Action revolvers? You could say so.

These photos don't show a bunch of Three Screw Rugers, an Uberti Cattleman, some more single action Smiths, and probably some other stuff that I have forgotten about.

I gotta do like Bob Wright and take photos of a bunch of guns in one shot, so I can post more photos.

I love my Ruger Vaquero in 44 Magnum. Yours is identical to mine except that I added a set of faux ivory grips from Eagle Grips. Normally I shoot one of my 9mms or 357 Magnums but every now and then I want to feel like I have fired something worth shooting. When I do I bring the Vaquero out. You should see the smile on my face after the first few shots.

For a "packable" handgun to be carried on a back-packing trip in bear country, it would be hard to beat a "New Vaquero" with a 4 5/8" barrel, chambered in .45 Colt-though your Uberti sa revolver chambered in .357 Magnum should do just fine.

My first SA was a Ruger Blackhawk 357 I purchased new in 1973. Later I added a 45 Colt BH and a 30 Carbine BH. All were eventually sold off.

Around 1980 or so I bought a 2nd Gen 357 Colt that looked unfired and a 44-40 "Frontier Six Shooter" made in 1894. They were both sold off as well.

In 1987 I saw a short 44 Special SAA Colt in a shop and bought it. Still have it. Between then and last year I went through six Italian clones. They were OK but I grew to realize that I prefer the genuine article. So I dumped all of them and picked up three additional genuine Colts. Bought a nickel plated NiB 3rd gen in 38-40, a 2nd Gen commemorative that had been de-fancied into a shooter, and an early 2nd Gen commemorative that was Nib but I bought it to shoot. The last two are both 45s.

While I was accumulating these Colts I got nostalgic and bagged a 3-Screw Ruger 30 Carbine.

I think I'm done now. Buying Colt SAAs gets pricey.

Back