Single Action Revolver Safety

Mostly shoot alone. Don't like crowds, waiting in line or other peoples noise.
I try to shoot every week, 12 to 18 rounds or so. In the winter this means, load in doors walk "out back" and fire.
I do shoot SASS and that is a good group, but up here only 6 times/year.

Growing up in the 50s-1950s, not 1850s, I heard the "hammer down on an empty chamber", later I noted many people though to do the same with more modern design, Colt, S&Ws, etc.
The Remington cap and ball revolvers have safety notches between the cylinders to engage the hammer, the Colts have pins. More recently the Virginian Dragoon had one chamber marked with dimples on either side to use as a "safety" chamber.
I saw the Late Great Joe Bowman in action some years ago, he loaded his Old Model Rugers with 6 rounds. But his shooting skills greatly exceeded mine

KWHI....Good response....and good point

I don't find it surprising that you like shooting with people. You and your wife and perhaps now even your daughter have a true competitive spirit and innate natural talent.

I have seen the results of your talents in your posts and photos. Undeniably top drawer. I can almost imagine the conversations that are going on in your family. I can also imagine the admiring comments from other shooters. Lotta learning going on.

Nope. No surprise that you like to shoot around other folks.

Many of the old timers did indeed carry six rounds with the hammer down between rounds. But the old SAA's had a much more pointed firing pin than the more modern ones and, while the hammer never went fully down it went far enough to be safe in anything like normal carry and use.

They also carried those guns with the sear (trigger) in the "safety" notch (yes, Colt called it that and instructions said to use it that way), and did so with no concern, let alone the hysteria that such an action would cause today. What has changed is that we are now, thanks in part to massive litigation where everyone sues everyone else, much more safety conscious than they were in those days. All told, that is probably to the good.*

Would I carry "six up" in a SAA today? Probably not. If I were expecting to be in a gunfight, I would carry six, but in my Model 19, or a high cap magazine in an M9 or a Glock.

* Sometimes our concern for safety reaches silliness. I once mentioned on one of these sites that belt links from aircraft wing guns dropped down a chute and fell to the ground. Incredibly, someone asked if that wasn't dangerous for people on the ground. I pointed out that the bombs dropping on them were just possibly more dangerous than falling links.

Jim

When I shoot a revolver I load all six, but you have to understand the way I shoot. My revolver is never loaded for more than about three minutes.

I don't do CAS. I don't ever carry the revolver loaded. I don't use a holster. I load six at the bench and shoot those six at the bench.

This is me exactly. My gun goes from being loaded to being unloaded in about 3 minutes. I load all 6 at the bench immediately in preparation for firing and fire all 6.

Also, I shoot N-SSA competition. I made the mistake once of only carrying 5 cartridges (for musket) to the line. You are only allowed 5 shots at the target, after all. I fat-fingered the round and missed the barrel with the powder charge. So I was unable to shoot 5 shots at that target. I may have been able to ground the gun and go get some more ammo but the lesson was clear to me - always carry more ammo than you need.

Even with pistol shooting, you are only allowed 5 shots on target. So I load up all 6 in case I have a misfire (or even miss the target!). If I put 5 on the paper I just put number 6 into the backstop.

I suppose if I actually was toting one around I might only load 5. But frankly if I was actually toting a gun around it would not be a black powder revolver. It would be something like a Springfield XDM in 9mm holding 19 or in 45 holding 12 rounds of ammo.

Steve

I load all 6 at the bench immediately in preparation for firing and fire all 6.
I do too. As soon as I cap the last one, lift the gun, go to full cock, and start firing. That's completely different than being in the field however where the unexpected is very much more likely to happen. As said above, let you conscious be your guide as each of us have our own way of thinking.... just don't lawyer up when it does happen and sue the manufacturer (you know the MC'D hot coffee lawsuit syndrome).

Back