Single Action: Jammed Beyond Repair

jackstrawIII said:
Regarding details with the ammo, here's what I can tell you. It's Federal brand (either Federal or Estate, both are owned by Fed and use Fed brass) FMJ 38 SPL ammo. Besides that, I can't help as I no longer have the box.
Do you have any more of the same ammo? If so, can you post a close-up photo of the headstamp, and one of the bullet? If you happen to have an inertia bullet puller, would you be willing to drop one bullet out of the cartidge and take a photo of the base of the bullet?

I'm very curious to see if I get this particular failure again. If I do, and the jacket is smushed on one side like this one was, I'm going to assume it's a gun problem and send it back to Taylors/Uberti. I really hope it doesn't come to that, as it's a really cool cool cool gun.
That was NOT a gun problem. That was an ammunition problem.

Load one, skip one, load four more, full cock, then lower the hammer down.

I read this from Skeeter Skelton a long time ago. And it is really convenient if your gun is clean and your ammo is perfect.
After watching some CAS experts at work, I formed the habit of inserting five rounds any old way, rolling the cylinder to be sure I did not have a high primer, burred rim, bulged case, etc etc that would drag on cylinder rotation. Then bringing the empty next to the hammer, cock and uncock.

I am always willing to be instructed by experts. If the reason for loading five in a SA is to make a box of 50 come out even, I have been mistaken in loading my 686 (and K-38, Colt PP, etc., etc.) with six. I always have two rounds left over, which I now see is wrong.

The old 3D commercial reloading company packed .38s in 60 round boxes.
Not so much so it would come out even on cylinder fulls but because the original PPC police qualifier was 60 rounds.

I shoot Black Powder in my Colts.

They are usually filthy after the first round.

Does not make any difference.

Load one, skip one, load four more, cock the hammer all the way back and lower it onto an empty chamber.

PRACTICE THIS A BUNCH OF TIMES TO MAKE SURE YOU GET IT RIGHT!!!!!

stuff Colt's "mad men" came up with to try to get idjits to practice simple safety with an SA revolver.

Simple safety is something that has evolved over time. Carrying with an empty chamber under the hammer is something that developed due to the Colt SAA, and was something "new" people had to learn, and many never did.

Colt's cap&ball pistols can be carried loaded with six, because when the hammer is down in the "safety" position, its is between the nipples.

Early on, Colt called the first "click" position of the SAA the "safety notch" and did advise people it was a safe way to carry the gun. As far as I can tell, they STOPPED doing that after a little while, and only recommended an empty chamber under the hammer.

Why did so many of the old time cowboys limp???
Because they had "Colt leg".. :eek:

Happened A LOT, when the SAA was loaded with six. Toss the stirrup up on the saddle so you can cinch up the saddle girth strap, horse shifts, stirrup slides down, hits holstered pistol on the hammer, gun FIRES!!!!
(usually hitting the leg or foot)

Colt leg

Can't happen if there is an empty chamber under the hammer.

I know I've been crowing about this Open Top of late, but I've found two advantages in this style.

1. Without a top strap, its very easy to index the empty chamber under the hammer.

2. The shape of the barrel stub directs powder residue and lube forward, keeping the cylinder, and my hands, cleaner.

Bob Wright

"Happened A LOT, when the SAA was loaded with six. Toss the stirrup up on the saddle so you can cinch up the saddle girth strap, horse shifts, stirrup slides down, hits holstered pistol on the hammer, gun FIRES!!!!
(usually hitting the leg or foot)

Colt leg"

I wonder if Chester on Gunsmoke had Colt leg.

What is wrong with loading six rounds at the range and shooting immediately? I can understand the practice of loading five for carry, but I don't get why you would do that at the firing line.

Cause ammo comes in boxes divisible by 5, unless I'm shooting IDPA or similar I load 5 rounds in my DA revolvers and autos most of the time too.

What is wrong with loading six rounds at the range and shooting immediately? I can understand the practice of loading five for carry, but I don't get why you would do that at the firing line.

That is only for a wannabe SO.

I agree with Mr. Wright and Mr. Johnson. If you shoot any Colt style single actions (including Ruger OMs) it's a good habit to be in to only load five. Do it until it's second nature. Do it not and you'll always have to stop and think about it. I only load my DAs and Ruger NMs with six when they're going into a holster. On the firing line the old hands who always load five without thinking will make you whippersnappers who are worried about having that extra round look clueless.

Truth.

Mystery Solved

Hey everyone,

Great news. Brought the Uberti out to the range two more times since the bizarre jam. Both times it has worked flawlessly... and is a hoot to shoot. It's accurate too.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. I never would have believed that Ammo could fail that way, but it happened

Back