Since it's been out for a couple years now, what about the Kel Tec P17?

I have a P32 and a P17. Got both when they first came out. The 32 went back once but has been a steady, reliable carry gun for many years. The P17 has been great from the get-go and is an excellent platform for my .22 can.

What makes it better than the TX22, in your experience?
At the time, the P17 was cheaper and came with 3 magazines compared to 2 with the Taurus. Since then Taurus price has come down and supposedly you can get 3 mags now (I couldn't find the deal myself but I trust it is out there).
The P17 is lighter and smaller, whereas the TX22 is a Glock 19.
The sights on the P17 are kindof nice and the trigger is really good for a striker fired pistol.
One other thing I like is how KelTec "shades" the sear interface from the blowback crud - so the trigger doesn't get all gritty.

If you want a trail pistol, the P17 is best. If you want a full-size trainer then the TX22 is best.

Just my two-cents on the subject. I'm not an internet legend expert in real life nor do I play one on YouTube. I'm just a geezer.

Speaking of blowback crud, the one time I’ve had an extended session with a P17 I didn’t use plated bullets. After a few mags, it stopped extracting because lead had built up under the extractor. Otherwise, love it!

Back