Since it's been out for a couple years now, what about the Kel Tec P17?

grampi50

My BIL just bought one and he let me put a few rounds through it. It worked flawlessly. The price is definitely right, though availability may still be not so great, I have been seeing some listed at MSRP ($199). I know they have been marked up because demand was so high, but now I think they've come back down off of their high. I'd like to hear from some of you who have had one for a while now to see how it's performing now...

My son bought one. I took it out and put 10 magazines of Armscore 40gr El-cheapo through it - never missed a beat. Pretty accurate for a very lightweight 4" barrel pistol.
If I were in the market for a little plinker I would buy one.

It's a OK gun. Feels good, shoots well, accurate enough. I hate the take down procedure because it requires a tool. The magazine could have been better with a way to lower the follower similar to the excellent TX22. I would not buy it again,

I curious why you say you wouldn't buy another one. The negatives you mentioned are very minor things, especially considering its price...I think its biggest negative is loading the mags, but there are loaders for that...

Last edited:
It's a OK gun. Feels good, shoots well, accurate enough. I hate the take down procedure because it requires a tool. The magazine could have been better with a way to lower the follower similar to the excellent TX22. I would not buy it again,
I guess I don't have a problem using a cartridge rim to pull the takedown pin.

There is a trick to loading the magazines, but everyone in my tribe figured it out after first magazine.
Far superior to the Taurus as a lightweight plinker for the money.
IMHO of course.

I went ahead and ordered a black P17. I got it for $229, including tax, and a lifetime warranty from Bud's Guns. The FFL fee will be another $35. I figure if I don't like it, I'm only out about $250. No biggie...

I do like the concept.

But, I have found that it falls into an unfortunate niche, for me. There always happens to be another 22 pistol I would rather be shooting and/or carrying. It's not what I reach for, for plinking, hunting, target, or concealed carry.

I've been accumulating 22's for a long time, though. If I were strapped for cash and had to be satisfied with a new pistol in the $200 range, perhaps it would quality.

And there was eluding to the Taurus TX22 being less of a deal. It's currently cheaper and with a 3 mag rebate.

I am done with Taurus, but I was long ago done with Kel Tec. I'd TX22 if I refused Walther/S&W options.

I bought one a few months ago. I liked the performance and accuracy, but I hated the grip texture...or lack thereof. So I bought a Hogue Handall for it and now I love shooting it. My wife, who is disabled and recoil sensitive actually liked to shoot it - so much so that I ended up picking up a second P17 for her. There are certainly more stylish options out there, but in terms of value, it's got to be near or at the top of the list.

wild cat mccane

Your post sounds more like your beef is with Kel Tec the company, and not necessarily with this particular gun. I don't know anything about their other guns...

toyaldla

Could you post a video of the mag loading? I'm having a hellova time loading them, even when using a loader...

There seems to be about one review like yours in about every 10 favorable reviews...makes me wonder if you guys are getting all of the Monday and Friday guns...

keltec p17 is too light and too thin. grip not grippy enough, which rubber inner tube didn’t solve. mags cannot be fully loader even with a loading device. i tried it as an alternative to my wonderful ruger sr22. blessings to those who like the p17 but i will happily be rid of mine.

There seems to be about one review like yours in about every 10 favorable reviews...makes me wonder if you guys are getting all of the Monday and Friday guns...
This is the Internet - happens all the time.
People vent about something entirely different than the subject and feel their contribution is important.

And there was eluding to the Taurus TX22 being less of a deal. It's currently cheaper and with a 3 mag rebate.

I am done with Taurus, but I was long ago done with Kel Tec. I'd TX22 if I refused Walther/S&W options.
Yes, looks like Taurus had to get price competitive with KelTec. That's a good thing.

I have a P17. I have not shot it extensively, but the gun is well made.
I also own a couple of PF9s, a P11, a PMR 30, 4 or 5 P32s, and a Sub 2000.
All have been great guns for their intended purpose.

Some people can't grasp the concept of modular, lightweight, minimal sized guns that are inexpensive. These are usually the same people who think the Keltecs are "cheap junk" but love the heavier and bulkier Ruger copies.

I have more experience working on, carrying, and shooting guns than most people-and I'm impressed with Keltec's products.

Back