Simple bullet drop trajectory question

"Some places you can only hunt with shotgun or muzzleloader. There aren't choices for "longer range capable cartridge".
In that case, you shouldn't be trying to shoot at those distances.

"Some places you can only hunt with shotgun or muzzleloader. There aren't choices for "longer range capable cartridge".
In that case, you shouldn't be trying to shoot at those distances.

He's only asking about 200 yards. There are plenty of muzzleloaders and some shotguns that can reach 200 effectively. It's really up to him to decide his effective range.

Calculations can be fun. Careful when you mix angular and linear units. For shooting at living things the mathematical alchemy is just to get you to an initial sight setting for the distances in question. You get the real answers by burning cordite.

I sight rifles at the indicated POI for point blank range for the load and rifle I am using, for big game. My 25-06 is 2.5 inches high at 100 and 3 inches low at 320 yards (3 inch vital radius). That way I don't get to guessing on hold over etc. If it looks long--and my judgment can be poor on distance to mulies and speed goats-- then the point of aim is "a couple of inches below the highest hair on their top line." If they ain't aware of me and I can fumble around and get the range finder out and use it, then a better estimation of hold over is possible.

A guy I know shoots bench rest and long range shooting, and he zeros at 100. He is more into the technical aspect of figuring trajectory than me.

He's only asking about 200 yards. There are plenty of muzzleloaders and some shotguns that can reach 200 effectively. It's really up to him to decide his effective range./QUOTE]

Brian is exactly right. I think 200 yards is the max for both me and my muzzleloader to be able to dispatch a deer as humanely possible. The last thing I want to do is make a poor hit and have it go off and die unrecovered.

Back